PDA

View Full Version : tech help

Jonah90
10th Jun 2004, 14:30
OK, this is a bit of a repost from the gameplay section , coz i posted in there by mistake

i have a 2.8 ghz p4
512 ddr
4 mx 440 geforce

i know that the 440 is no good for thief ds , so i have been trying to decide what to replace it with
i just about decided that a radeon 9800 pro was the way to go, when i read that the next generation of cards is about to hit the shelves.
Do you think the 9800 pro has plenty of life span in it, or do you think i should wait for one of these new cards ?

bravus
10th Jun 2004, 14:48
Basically depends on your budget. I'm playing using a 9800 Pro, and enjoying it vry much, and having no hassles at 1280 x 1024 and high detail. So for this game, that card will definitely do well. They're getting pretty cheap now too - down around US $200 some places.

The new cards - nVidia 6800 and ATI X800 are going to be amazing - twice the power or more of the current cards - but they're just now coming out, and they're $500-600. If money is no object, they'd be great... so as I say, depends on your budget.

Hope that's helpful.

Jonah90
10th Jun 2004, 19:01
Thanks for the info
after some research i think that the 9800 pro is the one then.
I have found it for £131 on the web , so not too bad at all
unfortunately, i will have to invalidate my warranty by fitting it myself, as pc world wont fit it unless i buy it from them at £175 !
ah well, only 12 months left anyway.
being a bit of a NooB inside the pc, is it going to be easy to change video cards?
thanks

Jonah90
10th Jun 2004, 19:11
Thanks for the info
after some research i think that the 9800 pro is the one then.
I have found it for £131 on the web , so not too bad at all
unfortunately, i will have to invalidate my warranty by fitting it myself, as pc world wont fit it unless i buy it from them at £175 !
ah well, only 12 months left anyway.
being a bit of a NooB inside the pc, is it going to be easy to change video cards?
thanks

bravus
10th Jun 2004, 19:31
It's pretty simple.

Open the case, find the video card (not difficult, because it's in an AGP slot, which is different to the PCI slots most of the other cards will be in, and because it will say something on it to identify it).

There will be one screw holding the back plate of the video card to the computer - remove that. Carefully slide out the old video card. It shouldn't have anything else (like wires) plugged into it, but if it does, carefully unplug that first.

Then carefully slide in the new card. Don't force it - if it seems to require a lot of force it's probably not sitting on the slot right. When it's in and seated firmly, replace the screw, close the case, and boot up, installing your drivers off the CD when asked.

If you want to be a bit more sure, remove your old video drivers completely first before doing all this, but you should have no trouble at all.

bravus
10th Jun 2004, 19:32
Oh, touch the side of the case before touching any parts, to get rid of static electricity. And do remember to unplug the computer from the wall before opening to case, in order to avoid shock. ;)

Jonah90
10th Jun 2004, 19:36
Excellent
Thanks a lot
with a bit of luck , ill be playing TDS by the end of the weekend :)

theBlackman
10th Jun 2004, 19:59
Uninstall all your old V card drivers. Get the DRIVER CLEANER 3 from a link at www.omegacorner.com and run that.

If you have a good register cleaner, run that.

Reboot the system with the new card and run the install CD.

Ferett
11th Jun 2004, 21:26
I put in my new Radeon 9800 pro last week and I love it. Unfortunately the idiots who built my computer decided to add a tiny little metal stud just above the AGP slot inside my computer... two hours later I managed to break it off and actually get the card to slide in there. So trust me, even going through the pain of ripping that piece of metal out, it was fairly easy, so you shouldnt have any trouble at all really :D

Jonah90
13th Jun 2004, 16:32
Thanks for all the info
I have got the 9800 pro and installed it
I did have a bit of a fright when i read it needed its own power supply!, but it was all pretty strightforward ,as you say.
I put thief DS on immediately and it runs perfectly :) although it did complain that the drivers were already out of date !
|Cheers
Jonah