PDA

View Full Version : Great Game but too short.

stmdk
10th Jun 2004, 08:10
Nice job! The graphics were awsome and the sound was awesome. The cradle OMG! I thought it was scary as hell. I was VERY pleased to play thief again after a LONG wait. I give the game 8 out of 10. Probably being generous because I'm a thief fan. Here are the problems tho:

1) There are some very stick parts in the game, especially when trying to go through windows and walking on ledges. I got stuck ALOT.

2) I beat this game in 1 day. I was hoping for some more but alas there was none. I didn't cheat either. Having a difficulty setting is not enough. There should have been some other modes to play this game other than just story line. I like to just go around thief'n!

3) The maps sucked. According to full map there should have been connections between a few areas seeing as they were next to each other but there weren't.

4) Not enough climbing and roof action. Everywhere I tried to climb I had obsticles that would not let me get up top. Yes there were a few times I could but NOT NEARLY as much as I hoped. There were also some annoying things like not being able to climb sidways from wall to wall. You could jump but it was a pain. Overall the gloves seemed useless.

5) What's up with the inventory limitations?? That's bull. If I get the money I should be able to buy what I want.

6) Areas were TOO SMALL. I wanted to do alot more running around and exploring but it felt cramped.

This game is and always has been missing a multiplayer feature. That will be its downfall unfortunately. Sure fans will grab it but even the fans of the previous two games wanted a multiplayer feature and it's just disappointing to see this latest release without one.

A lot of $$$$ for one day of play? Hmmmmmmm.. I'm not thrilled with that.

SPOILER/HINT

To get more arrows just go into the tavern at the plaza. Get the guards to chase you. Duck down behind the bar and get them to fire arrows at you. They miss alot when you keep ducking. Just pick up the arrows that get stuck in the bar.

chris20202
10th Jun 2004, 13:45
You finished the game in one day? I have 23 hours of playtime so far, according to the stats shown after the missions are up, and I'm not finished yet. And this doesn't count time that was lost when I reloaded, times when I was just messing around, etc.

I play a couple hours a day, I bought the game the first day it came out. Perhaps you shouldn't rush through so fast!

Tricky_Thief
10th Jun 2004, 14:18
I don't think the game is short.....Thief DS offers above 20 hours of gaming
Even if u want play more u can accomplish some of the "additional missions" that are not mandatory.The game can become twice as long as normal.:) (and boring too):)

Quillan
10th Jun 2004, 14:53
It took me around 30 hours to finish. I bought it the day it came out, and played all night Wednesday, and Thursday, and Friday. I got a couple hours in on Saturday afternoon, and spend around 11 hours on Sunday playing to finish it. If you finished it in one day, you skipped a LOT of stuff.

vurt
10th Jun 2004, 15:14
nah im at the Cradle now and I think if it going to be much longer im gonna get pretty bored with it and not even finish it. I quit 90% of all games long before i've finished them becuase they're far too lenghty and it just getting tedious and they dont keep my interest up at all. Thief3 has been very good at keeping me interested so far. Im probably even going to finish it(!)

IMHO it could have been half the lenght but more time put into developing graphics, attention to detail, dialogs, story etc, Quality over quantity is my moto.

Speesh
10th Jun 2004, 15:31
It was a great game but I also think that it was very short. I beat it in three days on expert mode. I guess that patch really is something to look foward to.

Tricky_Thief
10th Jun 2004, 15:33
Originally posted by vurt
Quality over quantity is my moto.

NICE:) I fully agree with u

Kaspre
10th Jun 2004, 15:33
Every great game is too short. ;)

Stereophile
10th Jun 2004, 16:08
Just how many "levels" are in this game ?
I've played the intro level, bloodline, St Edgar's, Pagan Maw, Keeper Library and just started the Citadel. I think I'm on day 3.

stmdk
10th Jun 2004, 16:35
Yes one day counting hours. I actually did it split into two separate days totalling just about 24 hours. No matter how you count it, hours or days, the game was short.

If you're at the Cradle, the game is just about over. I think there were only 2 missions after that. :(

Skipped alot? How could I skip anything? The game story is linear.

Quality over quantity? Ummmm. No. Great games last for a long time too. Yes it was high quality but that's not enough. Too easy of an excuse to say the quality made up for it.

I'm really hoping they will release an editor for this game now that it's over and I have no more fun. On the shelf she goes.....

LeMartin
10th Jun 2004, 21:17
If you've finished Thief - Deadly Shadows in 24 hours, then you should be satisfied. I mean Max Payne 2 was one great game, but it took a little under 15 hrs to get it done (from what I remember). Sure, length can be an advantage, but sometimes it can be too much. I love Far Cry, but I do feel that it is a little long in the tooth. Also Thief - Deadly Shadows offers MANY challenges. I mean that I try to get as much of the loot as possible and not to kill anyone up until now I have been succesful, but I killed some zombies and all of the statues I met, although I've just gotten out of Gamall's Lair with the The Glyph of Unbiding, been using fire arrows and mines up until now, but these I have no problem killing as the statues are soulless and I'm just doing the zombies a favor, that's how I feel

Plus, I think that you've had A LOT of free time on your hands. I've been playing a couple of hours a week, sometimes more than 4 a day, but I've got some exams so less time than others

stmdk
11th Jun 2004, 02:22
Actually no. I'm satisfied with the quality but I'm not satisfied with it ending so soon. I'm the type of gamer that needs to see and experience something new all the time. I'm positive we will see some 3rd party mods for this game so I'll get my way.

As far as having the time, I did it on a weekend. Anyone that has played the previous two games and can call themselves an expert with thief can beat this in no time. You get so immersed in the game the hours just fly by. I was in a trance.....

:D