PDA

View Full Version : A Terminology Thing (spoilers)

bravus
9th Jun 2004, 15:32
Just a very minor point of irritation, but I thought I'd get it off my chest... It is a spoiler for later in the game, though, so don't read if you're not there (i.e. at least past the clocktower mission).

The foe is identified as 'Brethren and Betrayer'. That's just bad grammar - it should be 'Brother and Betrayer'. They've used 'Brethren' because it sounds more medieval, but it's the plural word, like 'children', and makes no sense when it's talking about one person. Grrr. That and all the 'bes' in the pagan's speech - they weren't there in the earlier games, and they don't fit. Minor annoyances in the writing, but the game itself is wonderful.

LongVin
11th Jun 2004, 19:33
well its designed to be cryptic not precise. And if you beat the game you realize that the brethren part actually means all the keepers for falling.

Quillan
11th Jun 2004, 19:38
There's a lot of strange grammer in the pagan writings from the first two games, though, you must admit.

Caitiff
11th Jun 2004, 19:49
I think you are looking at it from the wrong point of view

And the Keepers seem to have that view also. The betrayer IS Gamaul (sp?), but the brethren is all the keepers.

koorby
11th Jun 2004, 19:54
Caitiff, I like your name. LOL

I never realized the word Brethren was plural. I've associated it with the word "Bredren" which means Brother; singular.

But yes, Brethren & Betrayer makes total sense at the end.
Weird how none of the Keepers realized the plural in it either. :P Nice catch.

HOC
11th Jun 2004, 20:08
i'm with caitiff on this one.

brethren is also used as emphasis for members of a group or oganization. and it's not gender specific with that definition. so if ya take garret's point of view, it's quite accurate.

Caitiff
11th Jun 2004, 20:26
koorby: Thanks

Just to clarify a bit.

I thought the way it was saying it was the first keeper and his buddies were behind all this. The brethren being the council and the betrayer being the first keeper (can't remember his name right now), but as I progressed through the game up to just after shalebridge, I realized I was wrong and it all made sense at that point.

bravus
11th Jun 2004, 20:36
Yep, I guess it can be read that way in hindsight... I suspect that the Keepers, who are pretty much obsessed with books, would have noticed something as glaring as a plural, but there you go... ;)

Caitiff
11th Jun 2004, 20:52
Well, thats why Caudaca (again sp?) was the Interpreter. She basically translated it for them, and they could have taken that as just something lost in the translation.

Lord_Duriel
12th Jun 2004, 08:38
Not only that, but first, Interrupter Caduca interrupts the glyphs, then Translator Gamall translates it into English, plenty of places were one of them might screw up on grammer.