PDA

View Full Version : 640x480@120Hz Looks good with this engine

skudge
9th Jun 2004, 06:54
Ive noticed that with DX: IW and Thief: DS the game actually looks quite good at 640x480. I can actually notice a blurring affect on Garret in 3rd person perspective when panning the camera whereas in 1280x1024 i can't see the blur affect.

The textures are still the same only bigger and the performance benefits are awesome. I have a 19 inch monitor, Radeon 9700 Pro and I much prefer to play this game at 640x480 LOL.

Dash
9th Jun 2004, 07:50
Crank AA all the way up, turn on Bloom and be one happy camper.

zombie23
12th Jun 2004, 06:02
Actually, I recently finished playing Thief 2 at 640X480, something I thought I'd never do. I maxed out all the AA settings etc and the game took on a new image for me. It had an appearance which seemed perfect for the setting and was quite enjoyable to play.

meowsqueak
12th Jun 2004, 06:27
I too have had much better results with lower resolutions. I tried playing in 1024x768 for a while, but it felt chuggy and I had to have most options set to low. I dropped down to 800x600 and I can now run it smoothly with everything set to high - AND it looks better than the previous 1024x768 mode. I'm quite happy playing this in 800x600 now.

skudge
12th Jun 2004, 06:31
Originally posted by zombie23
Actually, I recently finished playing Thief 2 at 640X480, something I thought I'd never do. I maxed out all the AA settings etc and the game took on a new image for me. It had an appearance which seemed perfect for the setting and was quite enjoyable to play.

I agree. The rough graphics sort of lend itself to a lower resolutions making everything appear less computer generated and artificial.

meowsqueak
12th Jun 2004, 07:11
Originally posted by Dash
Crank AA all the way up, turn on Bloom and be one happy camper.

By AA do you mean 'multisampling' or do you mean antialiasing within your video card drivers (external to the game)? I've noticed the in-game multisampling slider drops back to 1 if I enable bloom - the two seem to be mutually exclusive.

zombie23
12th Jun 2004, 07:52
Hey Skudge you said, "I agree. The rough graphics sort of lend itself to a lower resolutions making everything appear less computer generated and artificial."

Well said! you put it in language which escaped me.

I have two PC's. One is an older refurbished Dell, P4 1.9 Ghz with a GeForce 3 Ti 500. With that video card I cannot see the stars in the sky in the Metal Age. My home built rig is a P4 2.53 Ghz with a Radeon 9700 Pro video card which has superb image quality and this is the machine that I am currently using and is the one I used at the low resolution for the Metal Age. It has outstanding image quality and really enhances the game experience.