PDA

View Full Version : SECRETS and other minor complaints

Nupee
5th Jun 2004, 14:08
I don't consider this a spoiler, but so as to not offend:

I'm far enough into the game to come to the realization that one of the most beloved portions of the Thief series was left on the cutting room floor. Why are there no secrets?? In Thief 1 & 2, knowing that I still had one more secret to find would force me to go back and scour every corner of the level, looking for another lever or button I had previously missed.

Also, I think it was a huge mistake to allow killing without consequence. Sure, you're not allowed to kill innocents. But if I can stand three blocks away and fire an arrow into a guard's head, does that constitute "stealth"? It greatly departs from the game's tradition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying myself, but I feel like these two things "dumb down" the game and will strongly affect one of the other great things about the other Thief games: REPLAYABILITY.

Quillan
5th Jun 2004, 15:16
I think it's because of something that is beyond the players control. If you have ever used the blackjack on a guard carrying a torch, the odds are pretty good that the guard died when he fell on the still-burning torch. Not killing the guard in that circumstance is purely a matter of luck (and the physics engine). I know I would be totally frustrated if an objective was to kill no one at all, I had to KO a guard to get to a certain spot, and the guard randomly died, causing a mission failure.