PDA

View Full Version : Great game but you call that an AI??

ihateregisterin
5th Jun 2004, 02:15
Just finished the game, thought it was good and fun, now I'm going to go back and do it again and some of the side quests without killing people.

But.

You call that an 'advanced AI'?

What exactly is advanced about it. You shoot a guard in the back with an arrow, sit down in a shadow and the guard runs around for 30-40 secs, says things like "ok taffer come on out" then...amazingly..."i must be imagining things". Yea, you imagined that arrow sticking outta your back.

Or, going into the tavern in stonemarket.

Knockout guard one, pickup *everything* thats pick-able-upable and chuck it around and not one guard comes down.

There are tons of times where I ran up to a guard, smacked him in the head, he turned around, i hid in a shadow and waited. Then he went back to his business.

Saying this, I haven't tried it in ghost mode so i'll do that now and see if it makes it more challenging.

PS. It woulda been *great* to have guards turn the damm torches *back* on again once you shot them out if they can.

tealsmith
5th Jun 2004, 02:16
What difficulty are you playing at? Anything lower then Hard and I find the guards are chumps.

fpk
18th Jun 2004, 12:23
I think your expectation is too high, if the guard is too smart, you can't do much, if they're smart, they'll chase you until you die. So you want to be chased forever? Water arrows put out lights so you can go through a certain place, but if then are relighted, that means you're just keep wasting them.

Acimus
18th Jun 2004, 15:02
No matter what the difficulty, guards don't seem to get it that there's a way around what comes to windows.

For example

=== =====[ ]===== ===
......^...........^...........^
....door.....window...door

player escapes through the window, guard stops the chase and stays in the another side of the window taunting player, instead of using the doors to get to the player. Even more stupid than zombies in first Doom...

PokingAbout
18th Jun 2004, 18:35
registerin is right. the guards dont qualify as having an IQ.
they are all blinking retarded, even on 'expert' they can't find their way around simple objects, static or dynamic. they have the attention span of a five year old at Kmart, and have absolutely no memory of any physical harm inflicted upon them. they dont realize they are stuck, runnning into things. the pathfinding in baldur's gate was better with party AI turned off.

'advanced AI: enemies see, hear, track evidence, search for intruders, give chase and fight to the end.' - quote from back of box

what it should read is 'mediocre (at best) AI: enemies wearing horse blinders; ear plugs; notice things out of place but dont care (open doors, missing loot, theif in corner, etc.); search for muggers, but not for long; give chase but get caught on chairs so they run in place indefinitely; and fight like untrained kids fighting with sticks'

'advanced AI' is false advertising

Guineapiggy
18th Jun 2004, 18:58
Originally posted by Acimus
No matter what the difficulty, guards don't seem to get it that there's a way around what comes to windows.

For example

=== =====[ ]===== ===
......^...........^...........^
....door.....window...door

player escapes through the window, guard stops the chase and stays in the another side of the window taunting player, instead of using the doors to get to the player. Even more stupid than zombies in first Doom...
Have you tried climbing through a window after a very nimble man with armour on and a big sword in your hand? Sure, this is about path fidning, but I never actually had a problem with that. And if you really want to see the AI work for their money? Use Thiefbot and give them all a bit of a boost.

freewilly
21st Jun 2004, 00:02
One of the funniest AI bugs I found was when I was in the Sunken Citadel. The fish people, when they attack me, can't hit me if I'm crouching. So I just crouch and slice them to death with my dagger. I didn't take one damage.