PDA

View Full Version : A small Thieves Highway found in S. Qtr - Vid Inside

Recluse
4th Jun 2004, 16:33
I haven't seen this mentioned before, and perhaps it has been, but I found a small Thieves Highway in South Quarter running from Garrett's building over the rooftops to Black Alley that has an item of loot and two flashbombs in it.

I made a quick little video showing the pathway.

If everyone interested in viewing it would be so kind as to help conserve my bandwidth by right clicking the link and selecting "Save Target As..." instead of streaming it numerous times, I'd appreciate it.

The Vid: Clicky (http://recluse-inc.com/T3_Thieves_Hwy.wmv)

Comments?

Neutrino64
4th Jun 2004, 16:36
Heheheh...I love the music. Very appropriate.:D

And thanks very much for the tip. I finished the game but never saw that. I have to go back and check it out now.

harishreddy
4th Jun 2004, 17:12
nice job recluse.

Micro
4th Jun 2004, 17:18
I love it, please do more!!

Neutrino64
4th Jun 2004, 17:18
This makes me wonder if there might be more such "highways" in other parts of town. Would certainly appease everyone who was disappointed about it.

Quillan
4th Jun 2004, 17:41
There may well be. I found a couple of places in Stonemarket where you can get up top, but no place really to go from there. The one in Old Quarter has been mentioned several times. I did find a place in Auldale where you can get on a rooftop (with a couple of gas arrows for your trouble), but again, you can't really go anyplace from there.

MajorHealy
4th Jun 2004, 17:51
Builder be praised, that music makes this a hilarious video...

Recluse
4th Jun 2004, 18:45
Thanks all, I'm glad to contribute.

If nobody objects, I'd like to officially dub this route "Swag Run" since you can get 3 water arrows, 2 flashbombs, 1 moss arrow, and 150 in loot making a shop run from your flat while bypassing all the sneaking around South Quarter. :cool:

There's also a spot you can get to in the same fountain courtyard above the entrance to the road that leads to the gate to Stonemarket. There's a nice little gas arrow up there for your trouble.

Inquisitor
4th Jun 2004, 20:43
Swag Run it is :cool: Great video btw :)

happy_thief
4th Jun 2004, 21:12
good man, im glad to see SOME rooftop action, one of my biggest probs with the game(besides no rope arrows WTF) other than that the game is good. nice vid, plz send more

tealsmith
4th Jun 2004, 21:14
Very cool stuff, I'll have to try that after I finish the level I'm in. Nice find, and thanks for the vid :)

SweetRuiN
4th Jun 2004, 21:20
For some reason, I cannot view the video. (Saved it.) Blasted PC anyhoo.

Could you possibly write up a description? I'll keep fiddling with it in the meantime, but the blasted thing won't even TRY to load.

G'Bariel
4th Jun 2004, 22:10
from Garrets apartment, just go straight ahead, pick the water arrows in the fontain and beyond the fontain u see a little ramp leading to a door. Look up and up ther it is, just climb and see what u can find

LeMartin
4th Jun 2004, 22:41
Lovely video, but it would have been Oscar worthy had it been at normal speed. Garret looked as if he was on something. But I know that would have made the video much larger in size.

Flippandra
4th Jun 2004, 23:42
Great job!

Fossa
4th Jun 2004, 23:50
What did you use to make the vid? There are some really useful vids that need to be made such as how exactly it is possible to climb the damned vertical shaft of doom (TM) in the clocktower for all those poor taffers who forget a piece of special loot, try to climb it, fail, try again, fail, try again, fail, and restart the whole level because of it.

BrokenArts
5th Jun 2004, 00:05
Makes me wonder, what else is waiting to be discovered. You never know! Nice BTW.

Quillan
5th Jun 2004, 00:15
Probably FRAPS. It can do that, though the raw form is uncompressed, making it huge. It's available for free, but the video is limited in both size and length. You can pay for the registered version, which removes those limits, or download one of the older beta versions for free, which is what I still use. www.fraps.com

WS6Lethal
5th Jun 2004, 04:53
Nicely done. :)

Recluse
5th Jun 2004, 06:41
Once again, it was my pleasure. I'll probably put together some vid stuff for some of the other little secrets I've found, but none are as good as Swag Run yet. I need to explore a little more.

The vid was captured using Fraps 2.0.0, edited with Ulead Media Studio 7, and compressed using the WMV 8 codec. I sped it up to 2.5X speed so the vid would be shorter and smaller since I made a ton of Hitman Contracts walkthrough vids that I'm also hosting and I've been burning through bandwidth like crazy.

MrWynd
5th Jun 2004, 07:23
so would you say its worth it to pay for fraps?

Cruo
5th Jun 2004, 08:07
Originally posted by MrWynd
so would you say its worth it to pay for fraps?

If you make a lot of videos then yet. If not then no. It depends what you are recording too. For high end games like Thief3, FRAPS is probably the best. If you just want to record simple things like windows apps and crappy 2d games, then you could just use something like CamStudio which is free.

Carsti
4th Jul 2004, 09:47
Originally posted by Recluse
I'll probably put together some vid stuff for some of the other little secrets I've found, but none are as good as Swag Run yet.

I really would love to make one of the one in Old Quarter, where you have to jump over the street on roof level. That one is great for video, I think. Especially when you enter the totally empty hidden room, a homeresque "D'oh!" would be great for the soundtrack. Then Garret's own remark about the rooftops. Then...

Then piercing shriek (60-style-horror-flick) when you meet the Keeper's Enforcer up there... I nearly got a heart attack!!!

You see, I'm more of a director then a cutter. So, perhaps we could do it together some way? :D

fpk
4th Jul 2004, 13:55
Great discovery!;)

EGM
4th Jul 2004, 14:18
Nice one, never shaw it, but then again, I'm stuck in the cradle now ;) scary **** down there....

T.Flesch
4th Jul 2004, 15:47
Thanks for tip, and for the movie! :cool:

Kheldin
4th Jul 2004, 16:36
I run an ISP and have tons and tons of webservers and bandwidth. If you need any mirrors for that video, or any others, send me an email. I'd be happy to help in that respect.

Rockn-Roll
4th Jul 2004, 17:05
Hehe...nice vid. There is another area in that fountain plaze where you can get a gas arrow. And, you don't need climbing gloves as a couple of boxes are nearby. The spoiler below indicates exactly where, though I suspect many want to find it themselves:

Walk from Garret's apartment and stand under the covered walkway leading from Garret's fountain plaza toward the Stonemarket Plaza passage and look up. You will see a grate. Move the box near the entrance of that covered walkway and position it under the grate (so when you drop down you won't get hurt). If you walk back into the fountain plaza and turn right you will see a a crate...move it toward the awning so you can climb up...

cccc
5th Jul 2004, 02:48
haha lol @ music choice, n1 ! :-)

<A HREF=http://server6.uploadit.org/files/ccccup-ga_stonem.JPG>Here's</A> another crazy (=way up) place for free gas arrow.Can't remember where exactly i took these screenshots, must be in Stonemarket Plaza (or Proper?).