PDA

View Full Version : Question about "spoilers".....

gar_goyle1
4th Jun 2004, 15:56
And now, for something completely different....

What is the big deal about blocking out specific answers/details and calleng them spoilers? Not that I am looking for any easy way to solve the game ( that I paid hard-earned money for), but if someone comes up against a difficult situation and asks for help, whats the big deal about blacking it out to the rest of the community? If you dont want to read the solution, dont read it.

Can someone please give me an unadulterated answer and not some smart@#$ comment?

Just curious.............

Neutrino64
4th Jun 2004, 15:58
Well, I think it's done for the most part as just a polite nod to people who may want to look at the thread but not want to read any major spoilers or answers.

It's just as easy to read and is nice to do if one gives away an important point to the story or a detailed answer to a question.

sesobebo
4th Jun 2004, 16:31
You see, the text is not censored, it is just a blu text on blue background, to prevent spoiling the game for those, who want to discover things without help.

Try selecting this blue rectangle with your mouse (or pres ctrl+a).

Socio
4th Jun 2004, 16:34
if you want to read the spoilers, all you need to do is highlite it (click and drag) - the text is just the same colour as the box so people (such as myself) can appreciate uncovering the games plot and secrets without knowing whats coming - keeps the suspense up.

As for not reading the spoilers in plain text, sometimes you can't help it.

Neutrino64
4th Jun 2004, 16:39
Oh, he was asking how to read it? Oops, I misunderstood.

padillah
4th Jun 2004, 17:17
Well, for example. You see a thread like this one (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?threadid=39080) and the subject is "I need help".

How the heck do I know (especially without a seperate tech forum) what they need help for or about? So I go in. Only to find out they are asking questions about a part of the game I have not been to yet.

Now, it's spoiled a little for me. I can't not read it, I don't know what it is going to say. I can't "stop reading" I've already read it.

That's what the spoiler tags are for. For purists that don't want to know ANYTHING about the game until they play it but still have to come to the forums for tech advice.

padillaH

gar_goyle1
4th Jun 2004, 17:51
I would like to thank the responders for their candor. Your side of my question now brings understanding to mine, especially on how to actually read the spoiler itself (this is the first time I have dealt with a Forum).

Again, I appreciate your responses.

Gar

Quillan
4th Jun 2004, 18:30
Imagine, if you will, that you have never seen the movie <i>The Empire Strikes Back</i>. You're playing a game based upon the movie. You have a problem early on, and come to a forum looking for help. While checking the threads to see if a solution to your problem has been posted, you click on one, and it starts "I'm having trouble right after Darth Vader reveals that he is Luke's father...". That was a MAJOR plot twist, and probaby isn't something you wanted to know in advance. That's what the spoiler text is for, to prevent people from accidentally reading those types of things.

Nupee
5th Jun 2004, 13:37
Darth Vader was Luke's father???? :p