PDA

View Full Version : Did you buy/use the Thief DS strategy guide?

MistyDP
4th Jun 2004, 02:40
How many of you out there bought the Thief DS strategy guide and actually use it? Am I the only one?

baal80
4th Jun 2004, 03:26
I always say why buy the guide when you can get help for free online.

Skanky Burns
4th Jun 2004, 03:28
The fun of these types of games is exploring for yourself. Not that I *ever* buy strategy guides - they are very generalised and in some cases even give wrong information.

MistyDP
4th Jun 2004, 04:06
I buy them sometimes. Especially if it's a game like this one where I don't want to miss anything. Thief 2 I must have played 3 times but while I love DS, I have no intention of replaying it so I am trying to cover as much ground as I possibly can the first time through.

But even if you don't buy the guide and still use it online, you're still using a strategy guide of some sort :) Not like going through the game with no help at all.

Skanky Burns
4th Jun 2004, 04:59
I plan on playing the first time through with no spoilers. :)

herechickychicky
4th Jun 2004, 08:11
I didn't know there was a guide for TDS but I think they are pretty generalized too usually and you can get a lot of help on the forums.

I want to replay TDS later on a harder level but I hope someone figures out how to skip missions so I don't have to ever play the Cradle again.

chris20202
4th Jun 2004, 13:32
Strategy guides are for people who haven't yet discovered the internet.

Fossa
4th Jun 2004, 14:24
Whats this internet you speak of?

Smash
4th Jun 2004, 18:11
GameFaqs.com usually has everything I need (and sometimes more than official strategy guides), and if the game is new, like this one (no walkthroughs yet), I just search this forum if I ever get stuck :D

doronbarak
4th Jun 2004, 21:07
I bought the guides for DX2 and DS3.

I started reading the DX2 guide after finishing the game, I'm gonna do the same with DS3.

I actually love some games so much that I want to prolong the game experience, one way of doing that is buying a guide and enjoying the artwork and reading other tidbits the guide has.

For instance, in the DX2 guide, they have a complete (although very generalized and abbriviated) walkthrough the DX1 plot and they also examine what happened between DX1 and DX2 to give rise to the different organizations DX2 contains.

I also suggest the pole be changed to include the following option:
"I bought a guide but am going to read AFTER I finish the game!"

;)

Darkaven
4th Jun 2004, 21:14
Did you know that the Morrowind strategy guide is as long and big as LOTR: ROTK without the prologues, maps, ect.?

Anyways, no, I havent bought the strategy guide, but I might, now that it's out. Are you sure it's out??? How much is it? As I have probably said before, I am a major cheater.

doronbarak
4th Jun 2004, 21:17
Originally posted by Darkaven
Did you know that the Morrowind strategy guide is as long and big as LOTR: ROTK without the prologues, maps, ect.?

Anyways, no, I havent bought the strategy guide, but I might, now that it's out. Are you sure it's out??? How much is it? As I have probably said before, I am a major cheater.

No, I didn't know about the Morrowind guide, I finished Morrowind and Tribunal without any guides what-so-ever, but now that you mention it, I might purchase the Morrowind guide just for the pictures, IF it has'em :)

I got the DS3 guide in EB-Games, same place I got DS3, it cost me about $21 CA.

Darkaven
4th Jun 2004, 21:23
I didn't buy the guide for Morrowind, but I couldn't help noticing it in EB games. So big. It actually has LOADS of stuff in there that isn't even about the main story. They have every item, ALL quests (side quests & main), weapons, armor, secret items, and funny stuff (look at the vivib floating isand upside-down was one of them I think. i never tried it.)

doronbarak
5th Jun 2004, 05:45
Originally posted by Darkaven
I didn't buy the guide for Morrowind, but I couldn't help noticing it in EB games. So big. It actually has LOADS of stuff in there that isn't even about the main story. They have every item, ALL quests (side quests & main), weapons, armor, secret items, and funny stuff (look at the vivib floating isand upside-down was one of them I think. i never tried it.)

Been to the Island, its actually a gigantic Prison! :rolleyes:

Anyway, not to turn this into a Morrowind discussion, I'll play through the game and maybe post further about my thief-adventures :D

Zaccheus
5th Jun 2004, 06:35
If it was an official guide (made by the devs and not the marketing people), if it was complete, correct, and well presented, then I would buy it after finishing the game.

But as it stands, the forums have all the info you need, straight from the people who end up knowing how to play the game better than anyone at ION Storm.

MrWynd
5th Jun 2004, 07:18
i bought the strategy guide so i could find everything after i beat it.

Gwaihir
5th Jun 2004, 10:33
Yup. I pretty much always buy the guides, but I only read them after I have beat the level, or if I am so frustrated with a single puzzle that I would otherwise drop the game in frustration (that almost never happens).

I pretty much play through a level, and then go back and read how they did it for comparison.

Tin Star
6th Jun 2004, 13:21
No I didn't buy it I just come here if I get stuck for help,besides when I play a game I make notes on the secrets that can be found and how many different ways I might be able to reach a goal in a game.This takes me awhile to get through the game the first time but after that I can fly through it.

:cool: Tin Star

UniTom
6th Jun 2004, 17:14
I would never buy a guide, it ruins the game if you ask me. It would be too tempthing for me to read it the moment I was stuck for more than 5 minutes, so I tend to stay away from them.

Also I would find it hypocritical of me to buy a guide and then complain the game developers had made the game too easy.

If I ever found myself very stuck I would probably ask somebody online, if they didn't know I would pull my hair out and keep playing.

In fact I did once check an online guide in thief 2 when I heard about secret bonus objectives that could be found once they had been accomplished. Still that only helped me with one I didn't achieve on my own which was burying Sheriff Truat (sp?)

Da Alians
19th Jun 2004, 03:43
I have not used the guide..I only checked online to find I think 2 special loots that I couldnt find after immensly long searches

dogsolitude_uk
19th Jun 2004, 18:49
I'd buy the guide to 'prolong the gaming experience' as someone else on this thread put it :)

Once I've completed DS I might even read it! I love the idea of strategy guides in their purest sense, i.e. a guide to strategies and tactics to use within a game, but I think that walkthroughs are proscriptive and boring, and can really kill a game.

I used the walkthrough for Soul Reaver 2 to help me with a real arse of a puzzle, but for a game like Thief I'd rather have something along the lines of ' when you're faced with 200 undead, chuck a flashbomb at a mirror and leg it' than 'take the Golden Chalice to the portal of Tharg, drop the Holy Tent Peg on the Spirit Puddle and go directly to Sherriff Fatman's office. Do not pass Go. etc. etc.'

Incidentally, I'm stuck on the Cradle level, I don't like it, and I'm not going anywhere near that game until I can skip it somehow... :D

Gimly245
31st Jul 2004, 05:50
There is no way you can need a strategy guide for Thief DS. It was by far the easiest thief game so far. There where no puzzles, no secret doors/rooms/anything, I even got 100% of the loot in quiet a few levels!!!(which in thief 1-2 is all but impossible, and still hard with a guide) The game was way to easy even on expert and doesn't deserve to lick thief 1-2 toes.

But if you have to use a guide the best place to find one is online because most times the official strategy guides come out when the game first comes out and don't get revised, where as online guides do.

p.s
I may have gotten a little off topic, but im still pissed off the game sucked so bad. (compared to the first 2) I did enjoy the Cradle a lot though only realy good level in the whole game

njcl
4th Aug 2004, 21:42
WTF????????you bought thief 3 then bought a strategy guide??.thats like booking a mystery holiday vacation and then asking the pilot/driver/captain where are we going.........:confused: