PDA

View Full Version : stuck on briefing screen

whatfer
3rd Jun 2004, 18:13
Hello all,
after some difficulty I finally got t3 loaded up and began to play. I succesfully got through the first two missions and then hit a wall. When I get past the debriefing of the second mission and hit continue the game succesfully loads the briefing for the next mission "Garret's Building". Everything seems to be going fine, the voice over of the brief reads through and I can scroll down the menu. But I can't click on any of the buttons to the right. There are only two, "Continue" and "Briefing". when I move the cursor over them they seem to highlight but I can't click on them.

the game just seems to hang.

I tried running a save and finishing the second mission again to the same effect. I have no idea why this is happening any help would be greatly appreciated....

I searched through the forums but didn't find anything so if I missed a fix for this sorry.

p4 2.4 ghz
gf4 ti4600 128
512 ddr ram
sb live audio

whatfer
3rd Jun 2004, 18:17
ooops...

forgot to include I'm running on windows xp home.

sesobebo
3rd Jun 2004, 18:40
The only thing that I can think of is reinstalling the game... You can also scroll trough the known bugs reports that are stucked at the top of the forum.

whatfer
3rd Jun 2004, 22:19
well, thank you for your response.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it's still doing the same thing.

I noticed that when the game first loads up after the advert screens and get's to the main screen I can't use the menu buttons until the intro movie starts. once the movie starts I can hit esc and then use the menu.

The only thing I can think is to start a new game and see if I encounter the problem again.

if anyone has any suggestions please reply....It's been a rocky bit, but I do love this game and want to keep playing.

if I left anything out of my system specs that might be helpful let me know.

thanks for your input

whatfer
3rd Jun 2004, 23:25
a little update.

after the reinstall I played through the training mission and got through the second again with the blood line opal, and once again ran into the same problem.

after the debrief, and after the load screen, when you get to the brief for "Garret's Building day 1" it just hangs....I tried waiitng an extended period of time in the event it was just loading???. Nothing. All I can do is ctrl+alt+dlt and end the program...it's the only way out.

I don't get it because it seems to run perfectly, I'm not even getting many of the shadow flaws folks are talking about. I just can't get past the briefing screen.

please help.

and thank you in advance.

ps. I'm a techtard so bear with me.

whatfer
4th Jun 2004, 17:14
Another update.

I once again reinstalled, tried saved games from before and going through from the beginning and still no dice. I can't get past the briefing screen for the third mission "Garret's Building day 1"

I'm about to give up and file this under major dissapointment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sesobebo
4th Jun 2004, 19:28
Well you can ask someone to send you a save from the start of third mission.

MrWynd
4th Jun 2004, 19:38
make sure you have the latest sound drivers

whatfer
5th Jun 2004, 16:42
well, thanks again for your responses.

my drivers are up to date...and I'm throwing in the towel on this game.

I have tried everything I can think of short of just returning the game for another. Nobody seems to be having a similar problem so maybe it's just the game disks I got.

I've spent days trying to get this to work only to get teased by the first two missions and then stuck.

If anyone is willing to send me a save game from the beginning of the third mission I'd give that a shot. please pm me and I'll send you my email if anyone is interested.

Thanks again for you help.

MrWynd
5th Jun 2004, 17:11
that sucks! hopefully they'll come out with a patch soon for the few that cant seem to keep the game working. If you'd like i think i can supply you with a later savegame but i dont have any around the 3rd mission.

MrWynd
5th Jun 2004, 17:13
does your PC have an onboard sound card so you could take out the SB live and see if it works then?

whatfer
6th Jun 2004, 14:19
I don't think it does, but I'm not gonna take out my soundcard just so I can maybe play this game.

I'm just going to shelve it for now and come back to it if they ever put out a patch.

Thanks again for response mrwynd.

MrWynd
7th Jun 2004, 07:30
here are some savegames, maybe this can help you:

http://www.somewhattwisted.com/thief-3-savegames.htm