PDA

View Full Version : The purpose of practice locks(?) *spoiler?*

RafterMan
3rd Jun 2004, 16:13
Like my earlier thread on climbing gloves, I now raise the issue of whether there is any point to practice locks, or are they just there to make money for fences and to adorn Garrett's place?

MajorHealy
3rd Jun 2004, 17:23
I found the locks very easy to open once I got the hang of 'em ... never bought a single practice lock...

Smirnov
5th Jun 2004, 21:14
Are they by any chance to open those metal doors which Garrett can't *use* ?

jrsein
5th Jun 2004, 21:21
I think they are pointless and are just there to add immersiveness to the games enviorment.

bluestorm
5th Jun 2004, 22:27
or maby if someone really needs help on locks,, i got the hang of fast also, but i havent even seen one for sale yet,,
taking a break from the pegan tunnels making me kinda jumpy,

maby i need a beer or two or three:D

styphon
5th Jun 2004, 22:40
just move from one angle to the next (IE up, up-right, right, right-down) hiting the fire key with each position change. you'll open any lock in 5 seconds. If you notice it doesn't have any angled positions, you can skip those and it goes even faster.

I can't see any need for the practice locks.

chris20202
5th Jun 2004, 22:48
I would guess that perhaps early in the development of the game, locks were going to be more difficult.

The lockpick can be moved all around, but it only works in a few certain spots. Flat against the side, and in one of the main compass positions. I'm guessing that originally you might have had to move the lockpick all over the place trying to find the exact right spot.

Recluse
5th Jun 2004, 23:24
Actually many locks with the same shape and ring number open with the same pattern.

I guess the practice locks are for memorizing the patterns so you can open them faster.

I bought all of them since I had so much extra money. Played around with them too since I really like the interactive lockpicking feature of the game.

Definitely helps for those tense moments in the Cradle when you're picking a lock and you just know some electric zipperhead zombie's gonna start wailing on you at any second. :D

bluestorm
5th Jun 2004, 23:46
I think its all in the "gameplay" and how you put yourself into it,,

like a 60's hippy on acid DEEP MAN REALLY DEEP so to say hehehe some will rush through the game and find it easy, i dont mean to bash anyone here to each there own,, but take time and enjoy the game for what it is,, matter of fact any game, tho this one isnt a fast pased game like the unreal turnys and such, its to lurk around and see all there is to see,, timming of the guards routes (ive even used a stop watch in the past games) but these thief games are the best in there catagory, something to really get into and make you jumpy and hands shake and all,, USE THE FORCE LUKE THE FORCE) anyone get my drift on this?? hehehe its a really fun game,, and a penny not worth spending on, even if i did have to spend for a new graphics card to get it to run, i'm enjoying every moment of it..

Bluestorm