PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Play On?

Darkaven
3rd Jun 2004, 14:59
Lots of people play on PC here, I can tell. But I have seen other xbox users, too.

I personally can only afford an xbox, but hey, lots of PC games have come out for xbox.

So what do you all use?

Maedan
3rd Jun 2004, 15:59
ugh...... the thought...of playing....with a gamepad....
(shiver)
why would anyone bother

Darkaven
3rd Jun 2004, 16:02
Because they fit in your hand. And some of us like xbox. :mad:

Spc
3rd Jun 2004, 16:12
PC - Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
Athlon XP 2500+ oc to Athlon 3200+
1GB Ram
Radeon 9500Pro oc to 9800Pro
SoundBlaster Live with Live Drive II.

:D

VoidHawk
3rd Jun 2004, 16:55
"PC, The Way Its Meant To Be Played"

Never could understand anyone trying to play a shooter with a pad. I mean, Halo was much better on the PC when you could actually aim rather than have your reticule do it for you ;)

Besides, Halo's graphics are better on a PC. As are Ghost Recons, NFS:U, etc etc etc. Just goes to show, you get what you pay for.

This aint a flame btw, I just dont like consoles, never have. But thats just me :)

Mgardiner
3rd Jun 2004, 17:30
Xbox heh, why do you ask? Well I do have a top of the line computer...BUT I like to leave FFXI fishing while I play Thief on my Xbox heh. Compaired to my PC Xbox has some serious frame rate issues heh but for some I prefer the control to the keyboard for this game :confused: Oh and doing the locks with the controller almost feels like cheating lol...its so damn easy when that thing begins to rumble....

MrWynd
3rd Jun 2004, 17:32
what makes the xbox controller rumble?

Darkaven
3rd Jun 2004, 19:30
-.- Are you serious? No offence, I've just never heard that before.

I dont know what they are called, but they are uneven cylinders that roll around two sticks inside the handles.

They are just rumblers I think.

Darkaven
3rd Jun 2004, 19:34
Originally posted by VoidHawk
Never could understand anyone trying to play a shooter with a pad. I mean, Halo was much better on the PC when you could actually aim rather than have your reticule do it for you ;)

Besides, Halo's graphics are better on a PC. As are Ghost Recons, NFS:U, etc etc etc. Just goes to show, you get what you pay for.

Shooters are fun as Hell on a pad, and wtf are you talking about with "Halo was much better on the PC when you could actually aim rather than have your reticule do it for you"?!

It doesn't automaticly aim for you! Have you even PLAYED Halo on xbox??

And of course the graphics are better, they are 3 years newer than xbox's Halo, for cryin' out loud.

Ghost recon's graphics suck on any system, by the way. Even PC.

NFSU i'm not even gonna argue with, saying I don't even like it in the first place.

VoidHawk
3rd Jun 2004, 22:03
Yes I did play Halo on the xbox. The auto aiming sucked for me. Get it somewhere near and it hit everytime. I just dont know how folks can aim as quickly and accuratly with a pad compared to a mouse without some sort of auto aim.

XBox should stick to what it's best at, I played Gotham on my mates machine, damn nearly completed it to, that was a class game. Im sure there have been others, but I usually play simulators and RPG's. So arcade type games have no interest for me, niether do most shooters, WW2 especially, they are so inaccurate.

Maybe its just me, but a Mouse/Keyboard for Shooters, a wheel for driving and a joystick for flight sims seems best. (even though I use a joystick for drivin games cause I broke my wheel) I always think of pads for Arcade games.

Like I said, it wasnt supposed to be a flame, I just voiced an opinion.

Acronomic
3rd Jun 2004, 22:09
You just turn off auto-aiming if you don't like it. ;)

A gamepad is just as easy as a mouse and keyboard too, if you just get used to it.

Darkaven
3rd Jun 2004, 22:09
I know it wasn't a flame, just I didnt agree with some of you points.

About the turning fast issue, there isn't one. The harder you press the analog stick, the harder it turns. To turn it at a normal rate, just press as hard as you need to. That's why they call them controllers, you need control.

Maybe if you were an "Xbox player", you'd understand.

But truly, if I had a decent computer, I would be a computer fanatic. But since Xbox and PCs have so much in common, I'd still keep my Xbox :D .

Zaccheus
3rd Jun 2004, 22:11
Serious question:
What proportion of xbox owners have internet-access?

Darkaven
3rd Jun 2004, 22:12
A LOT.

Ever heard of Xbox Live?

Yah.

Roll
3rd Jun 2004, 22:39
Originally posted by Maedan
ugh...... the thought...of playing....with a gamepad....
(shiver)
why would anyone bother
This is one of those typical ignorant responses you get in places like this, but I'm responding to it anyway!

A decent gamepad is fantastic for a game like this. I only have the PC version and I play it with my Firestorm Dual Power.

You see, mouse and keyboard have one big advantage over gamepads. Aiming. You can aim quickly and precisely. But aiming and firing quickly is very not essential if you're playing this game right. A gamepad with analogs, on the other hand, gives you incredibly precise -movement-. You can move at an absolute crawl 30 degrees to the right if you want. You can move inch by inch or move at any angle you want easily, which is completely impossible using a keyboard for movement.

In a game like this, being able to move with precision is much more important than being able to aim with precision.

VoidHawk
3rd Jun 2004, 22:48
Didnt know it could be turned off, like I said, was a friends machine... Ah well lol.

I suppose your right, if I used an XBox I'd get used to it, but I've been using a joystick or Keyboard/mouse combo for so damn long now anything else seems alien.

:Start Opinion About XBOX Vrs PS2 vrs PC:
Might be an idea if I engage the brain before putting the mouth into gear next time. I wasnt saying anything against the XBox, I think they are good at what they do, its not a superior PC user attitude, they are just different.

Persoanlly I see them as glorified toasters, they serve a purpose, a PC does a lot more than play games and movies, I work on my PC so to me I need it rather than just play on it. Hence I'm biased, is there such a thing as an XBoxist?

I once read a post on a forum (think it was NFS:U when EA announced they were combining online play between PC and PS2 users.) Basically it came down to this :-

"Console gamers and PC gamers are 2 sides of the same coin, both love their gaming, however, PC gamers have to spend much more on there chosen platform. Then they have to suffer as the trend of "Cross-Platforming" becomes more and more common place. This effects the qaulity of the games, there are so many examples of superb games and most of them are platform specific. For driving games compare the PS2's GT series, they are excellent, for the PC look at any of the NFS series or even MCO, again excellent. (Add Gothom rocks on XBox). Notice that all these games are platform based. So the continuing trend of cross platform games will effect the quality of the games market across the board, with PC users suffering the most as the power they have is superior to any other platform, therefore PC users get upset with the constant "dumbing down" of PC games so they can be easily ported to other platforms."

Personally I agree with much of that, although dumbing down I wouldnt have used, typical example of what I think was meant is the thief3 level sizes, they were apparently reduced due to the XBox stuttering like hell when more detail was added, whereas a decent spec PC would easily cope.

That still isnt the real issue though, cross platforming is bad for all gamers, PC users dont get to use all the fancy stuff they have paid hard cash for, XBox users dont get the performance push that has occured with the PS2, the hardware never changes on the PS2 the code just gets better, XBox havent had that happen because its treated like a cut down PC.

Anyway PC, XBox, PS2 whatever, theres the PC users side of it explaining why they think they have the right to moan.
:End Opinion About XBOX Vrs PS2 vrs PC: (Now Im gonna duck)

Darkaven
3rd Jun 2004, 23:06
Yah I can agree with that. I do get pretty ticked when a Xbox exclusive slips onto the PS2. And yah I've heard of the "dumbing down" stuff, and I can understand why they would do this. Hope Xbox2 is as good as they say. Can't wait.

Oh, and I didn't mean to seem pissed or anything, I have noticed my posts being angry before when they weren't intended to be.

Ogami Itto
4th Jun 2004, 03:52
Total Xbox gamer here.
I prefer consoles for 3 reasons:
1) Price: Consoles DESTROY PC's in the price dept.
2) Compatibility: Any game I spend my hard earned $50 on for my Xbox is gauranteed to run on my Xbox.
3) Comfort: I just can't understand crouching in front of a PC monitor all day gaming...

Tafferstatic
4th Jun 2004, 23:06
Originally posted by Ogami Itto
Total Xbox gamer here.
I prefer consoles for 3 reasons:
1) Price: Consoles DESTROY PC's in the price dept.
2) Compatibility: Any game I spend my hard earned $50 on for my Xbox is gauranteed to run on my Xbox.
3) Comfort: I just can't understand crouching in front of a PC monitor all day gaming...

Not a flame here.. just some points.

1) If you're getting a PC just for gaming, then yer a tard. Just get a console and save the bucks. However, most of us use our computers for other things, not just games, in which case the added cost of making our work PCs "game-ready" is comparable to the cost of a console.
2) Bull**** to the max. I can't count the number of times my console games have had bugs big enough to choke a donkey. Anyone remember the sound issues discussion for Thief 3 right here? Or the last time GTA3 had a bug that kept you from completing one of the last missions, requiring you to erase all savegames and start over? Or Legacy of Kain where the game would inexplicably freeze in the last city? Think about it. Nothing's absolutely bugproof. Console games have their share of glitches. At least on a PC, you can patch them. Also, when was the last time you used custom content on a console game?
3) Dunno bout you but I've got an office chair at my desk that's about as comfortable as any lazy boy.. get a comfortable chair.

If all you do is play games, get a console. If you actually do something useful, trick out your PC.

/.t

Sweedenhouse
5th Jun 2004, 07:34
I traded my xbox version in so I could have teh PC version. The xbox version sucks my balls

bluestorm
5th Jun 2004, 23:58
ahhh I have played on a console since well my old sega saturn,,
PC is better for me i can do all the other stuff i need to do,, if a console would check my e-mail and be able to save stuff or edit pics and post them on places like this i would consider it,, but NOT consoles are for game play thats it tho the sega saturn does have internet connection tho i havent used it for years now,, might be fun in trying to hook it back up and see what it can do,,

but PC over console each has its own about them,,
i just havent gotten a console because i havent found any games id like to play that would waurent the price for it,, ive thought about the X-box but i dont know the same games i can get on the PC so its not worth it, to me anyway,,

Majnun
6th Jun 2004, 09:37
The "rumble" is force-feedback I think. They make force-feedback joysticks for the PC too. I'm pretty sure the x-box controllers have a mini version of that. That would be kinda cool to have for the lockpicking (instead of just audio/visual cues).

Whether you like console or PC controls (or game systems) is just personal taste. I grew up playing games, started with consoles (Pong, Atari 2600, Intellivision, Odyssey, Coleco, Nintendo...etc). Then PC's came out and had games for them. I never looked back. The state consoles are in right now is a step backwards in technology from what PC's can do with games. So I don't bother. Not bashing consoles, it's just a matter of taste.

I'll probably buy the next gen x-box when it comes out, but I'm sure 90% of the games I buy will be for the PC. I'll rent x-box games and buy the few that are exclusive (or won't be on PC for a year or so). I think the technology will be able to play what I think are decent games. SOME (very few) games are actually getting there now (but they push the x-box to it's limits...sometimes a little beyond).

To me the only reason to play a console game is the fact that a lot of them have COOP multiplay. That's pretty cool. But I'm not gonna buy an X-box just for that when I can play online for free (not coop for most games, but still).

The whole console vs PC arguement is kinda pointless to me. They both have their advantages/disadvantages. It's nothing but personal preference. No amount of arguing/discussion will make console gamers see the light and switch to PC or PC gamers see the light and switch to console. And why should I care either way? But since a few days have gone by since a new thread dwindled into the pointless PC vs console debate, have at it.

Redhawk
1st Aug 2004, 20:21
Cammon now guyz are you really arquing about where you play thief or other games??
What you can afford is where you play or work.. There are also people that they REALLY enjoy playing in Xbox or in other consoles. We cant have everything.. :) There are always the 2 sides of the coin and there are always advantages and disadvants...:)

sergelac
2nd Aug 2004, 04:09
PC is the best ! http://sergelac.port5.com/smileys/yes_smile.gif
mac and game console are sh1t http://sergelac.port5.com/smileys/evil_very_happy.gif
http://myweb.vector.ch/sergelac/2piss.gif

gar_goyle1
3rd Aug 2004, 16:45
Originally posted by sergelac
PC is the best ! http://sergelac.port5.com/smileys/yes_smile.gif
mac and game console are sh1t http://sergelac.port5.com/smileys/evil_very_happy.gif
http://myweb.vector.ch/sergelac/2piss.gif

ok, not that I agree with the above, BUT DAMN THATS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have PC and PS/PS2/SNES. I have PS and SNES for my 8 yr pld son (who also has his own PC), PS2 for both of us. I predominantly use PC, but enjoy PS2 when I want to play games that are not available on PC. To me, there is no point in comparing the different platforms, because they all have their uses. Main use is (for gaming purposes) ENTERTAINMENT. So all who are able to enjoy multi-platform games on differing systems should be comparing notes, not blasting each others systems. Most PCer's are older folk, while most consolers are the younger generation. Nothing wrong with that.

Cheekybumbumboy
9th Aug 2004, 18:42
From what I played of the XBox the game sucked tremendously. The controller is awful and the frame rate was below 15 most of the time. As well as having flickery lines every time you looked around. Stick with the PC, the XBox is just a bad excuse for a PC with three year old graphics.

Ferrett
9th Aug 2004, 19:09
The biggest problem I have with this game being a dual-platform game is the simple fact that they had to castrate the level sizes and overhead limit just so it would work on the x-box, among other things.

I have nothing against the consoles. If you are into doing the whole A+B+LEFT+LEFT+UP+UP+LEFT then stand on your head so you can get the super-extra-secret hidden mega-death move on the other guy, by all means, feel free.

I'll stick to my PC. Excuse me while I go check me e-mail :D

c6jones720
13th Aug 2004, 12:16
Ive got an X-box and a PC and I am not impressed with the X-box one little bit. Theres nothing it can do that I cant do on a PC. As for controlling all the Thief games on the PC, I've always used a Gravis Xterminator joypad. It dosent feature a rumble pack but its great for controlling Garrett and it makes more sense than using a keyboard and mouse.

GandalftheGrey
13th Aug 2004, 16:59
i voted taco. :cool:

Hodgeh
13th Aug 2004, 21:34
I like to game on both the PC and Ps2.

There's a certain experience that gaming with a friend sitting in the same room on the Ps2 that a PC just can't match. Also, some games, such as 3rd person games, fighting games, etc. just play better on console. Plus, with a console, I don't have to worry if it will run any games and system specs.

PC, on the other hand, has a much better online multiplayer aspect (I have yet to play Ps2 online). PC hardware is updated much faster than console, thus the "BETTAR GRAPHIX" etc., c'mon guys, the consoles were built and that's it, the devolopers have only so much to make a game with.

Drake51
14th Aug 2004, 22:40
Mmmm... taco. :D I haven't consoled since PS1, but I've played on everything back to NES. they're just too expensive now, and I'm the one paying for them now. Besides, you can't get the Gothic series on consoles, so they ain't worth s***. :D :D j/k
Food for thought for you XBOX gamers: imagine, if you will, a world where alot of your favorite games have been ported, yes ported, from the PS2. :eek: NOO!! :eek: Welcome to the PC Zone!

Nasty, horrible word. Ported. :mad:

THIEFCRASHES
15th Aug 2004, 06:22
crack