PDA

View Full Version : Hex editing

DoctorXX
3rd Jun 2004, 06:21
In the past, I've been able to edit files in order to give garrett more weapons, gold, etc,etc. Does anyone know what file you'd use to do this? I cant find the saved game files anywhere. If anyone knows which file that you'd edit, please let me know. If I know which file, I believe I can use hex edit to find the correct values. Of course, if anyone knows the correct values, please let me know.

Zante
3rd Jun 2004, 22:08
It saves into "my documents" for some stupid reason. As for the hex editing, try to upload what you find in terms of memory addressing. We might be able to implement multiplayer via instancing :p

Tbone
3rd Jun 2004, 23:12
The "stupid reason" is so that in multi-user environments (like Windows 2000 and Windows XP), each user has their own set of saved games without having to hassle with multiple profiles within the game. Out of all the games I own, T3 and DX:IW are actually unique with respect to actually doing this right. *All* user-specific data should *always* be stored somewhere in the user's profile directory. The reason for this becomes very apparent if you've ever used roaming profiles. Programmers who write programs that store user data outside of the user profile need a good flogging, IMHO.

DoctorXX
4th Jun 2004, 01:48
there are like 6 files that have the same date and time in the saved game folder. There is a southquarter1_int1.wgs file that is 222kb, savemanifest-3kb, saveimage.dds- 65kb, metadata.ion-1kb, loadfilter-1kb and playerFlags-7kb. Any ideas which one might be the one that you'd edit? I'd like to edit my saved game so I can give myself more items and weapons. If I have 29 broadhead arrows, what would I search for in hex workshop? Should I search for the hex value 1D? Should I look for text values?I was thinking that the amount of the item would show up in the 8bit signed or unsigned bytes. If anyone has already done this and knows what to look for, let me know.

[JpC]Shadow
6th Jun 2004, 06:34
Good luck buddy, you will get 20 million results searching for that. All you really have to do is memory search the game for 29, slieve, and keep doing that until you find one value. That offset is where you should edit.

I will try this later.

MrWynd
6th Jun 2004, 06:41
Originally posted by Tbone
The "stupid reason" is so that in multi-user environments (like Windows 2000 and Windows XP), each user has their own set of saved games without having to hassle with multiple profiles within the game. Out of all the games I own, T3 and DX:IW are actually unique with respect to actually doing this right. *All* user-specific data should *always* be stored somewhere in the user's profile directory. The reason for this becomes very apparent if you've ever used roaming profiles. Programmers who write programs that store user data outside of the user profile need a good flogging, IMHO.

definitely i wish every game did it that way

DoctorXX
6th Jun 2004, 06:44
thanks, I searched through many instances of 29, was looking for other #'s that would be near it like other arrows. I just dont think I'm searching in the right file. What do you mean by slieve? You said all I have to do is memory search the game for 29, slieve and keep doing that till I find one value. By memory search are you referring to hex editing or something different?