PDA

View Full Version : FFXIV: Crafting and Gathering

Mallust
23rd Aug 2013, 20:31
Seeing how I didn't get a chance to get into Crafting and Gathering during Beta. Can anyone fill me in on how it works it is long and tideous do you actually craft useful things or are they outdated by time you craft them LOL. Just basic stuff like that don't expect to be told how to just wondering if it really has any purpose or like other MMO's it something to do to fill in the time?

Brigit
23rd Aug 2013, 20:36
The first tier of crafting stuff is obsolete until you start a new class (or the current crafting class you're levelling), then they're useful!
I didn't really get far enough to start crafting gear appropriate for my level during OB.
Gathering can be tedious, as always, but it looks like you can share nodes with other players.
Making items is more interactive, it's not just queue up 6 items and go get a coffee.
There's a certain amount of strategy involved.
Gear affects DoH and DoL classes.
DoH's want gear with +Craftsmanship and +Control.
DoL's want +Gathering and +Perception.
You can craft gear with these stats on them.
Sorry this is so stream of consciousness, I'm almost out the door!

Mashr2010
23rd Aug 2013, 20:46
The first tier of crafting stuff is obsolete until you start a new class (or the current crafting class you're levelling), then they're useful!
I didn't really get far enough to start crafting gear appropriate for my level during OB.
Gathering can be tedious, as always, but it looks like you can share nodes with other players.
Making items is more interactive, it's not just queue up 6 items and go get a coffee.
There's a certain amount of strategy involved.
Gear affects DoH and DoL classes.
DoH's want gear with +Craftsmanship and +Control.
DoL's want +Gathering and +Perception.
You can craft gear with these stats on them.
Sorry this is so stream of consciousness, I'm almost out the door!

To add to what Brigit is saying, you also want to choose your materials carefully. There are High Quality ones that make it easier for you to craft a High Quality item for gear or food, which essentially makes it a higher stat item, more on par with what you get as green gear from the dungeons (if I remember correctly they actually are the same Item Level as the dungeon gear) Also, there is a quick Synthesize option after you have created an item for the first time. It allows you to queue up things to be made, but you don't get to use any of your abilities so crafting High Quality versions is next to impossible. There are lots of places to get the materials, and also crafting classes will be able to repair gear (of a matching type) to 100% with the cost of 1 Dark Matter item of equal grade, so it's a bit of a cheaper alternative to constantly having NPC's repair it.

ttuskey
6th Sep 2013, 15:30
I get this message from time to time when trying to affix materia to an item.
Say the item is level 22 pants. HQ.
I have two materia: both level I. Intelligence I, and Piety I. Both say on them "Base Item, Item Level 15".

When I go to meld the Piety, it says "Piety + 1".
When I go to meld the Intelligence, it says "Intelligence +0", and "The selected item's level is too low to maximize the materia's potential".

I don't get it, the materia is exactly the same, what does that message mean?

Hippy_Pickle
6th Sep 2013, 15:33
Interesting point and I've come across that too, I was trying to attach a level 1 craftmanship command materia to some level 15 kecks and got the same message. Confusing the hell out of me since the materia says base item level 15 and the item is 15 so why does it not like it and wants to reduce the materia effect?

Hopefully there's a materia melding genius among the community who can help us :D

Rissycat
24th Dec 2013, 01:20
I am wondering if there is a website that list where you can find all the crafting ingredents i notice that the npcs dont' sell them and i rather not buy from market and just hunt my own. Like for example algoat skin is what i'm looking for but i really wish i had a list.

Hippy_Pickle
24th Dec 2013, 09:08
Most people use xivdb.com where you just enter the item name and it brings up information on how and where to obtain the items. Most things are gathered by the Disciples of Land classes but then there are certain items that are mob drops like the meats, skins and bloods.

It's nice to answer a question about the game for a change instead of just answering 'I can't log in' type questions lol

armia741
13th Jan 2014, 12:24

Hippy_Pickle
13th Jan 2014, 15:59
I've got all my gathering classes at 50, it makes crafting much easier if you can gather the majority of items yourself, which saves on the amount of gil needed. As for crafting I'd recommend getting every class to 15 for all the cross-skills which makes maxing them out a lot easier. Leves are the way to level crafting up really quickly, especially when you get the triple turn in leves and hand in HQ crafted stuff :)