PDA

View Full Version : Thief DS will not load

Elder One
30th May 2004, 17:38
I am trying to load Thief DS on my Dell Dimension 4300 P4 1.6 Ghz 512 MB RAM System. My graphics card is the Nvidia Geforce 2 MX / MX400 with driver upgraded to version 6.14.10.5672. My soundcard is a SB Live value. When I check the graphics card it says: Problem - Your graphics card does not claim to support pixel shaders 1.1. When I press the INSTALL button on the setup screen the install wizard starts up and then a window pops up with the message "Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its features?" The options given are YES or NO. If I press YES it acts like its deleting the application (which hasn't even been loaded yet). If I press NO I'm back to the setup screen. I would like to know if this problem is the result of my insufficient graphics card, or is there some other reason?

bravus
30th May 2004, 17:40
The GeForce 2 card is not supported by the game, so even if you could install it, you couldn't play it. You're going to need to upgrade that card before you can play this game. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

High Octane
31st May 2004, 03:48
Another poor soul caught up in this. Right, buy a $200 video card to play a $40 game.

Elder One
31st May 2004, 06:01
I guess what I'm most worried about is a scenario where I get a new card and still have this problem. Does anyone know if my particular "failure to load" symptoms typically result from an insufficient graphics card? Or if they might indicate some other problem instead. I have more than enough room on my hard drive, and I have successfully unloaded and reloaded Thief 1 & 2 just to verify that my system is still uninstalling and installing software properly.

Clumsyorchid
31st May 2004, 10:26
Originally posted by Elder One
I guess what I'm most worried about is a scenario where I get a new card and still have this problem. Does anyone know if my particular "failure to load" symptoms typically result from an insufficient graphics card? Or if they might indicate some other problem instead. I have more than enough room on my hard drive, and I have successfully unloaded and reloaded Thief 1 & 2 just to verify that my system is still uninstalling and installing software properly.

The problem is definitly with your vid card, everything else seems fine. You can find a list of supported video cards in the readme and on this forum.

ALPSMAC
1st Jun 2004, 23:58
I understand why it won't work w/o pixel shader but I have pixel shader 1.3 on my Geforce 4 ti and the demo worked just fine... even without updated drivers. I updated the drivers like this site reccomended, still no luck. The damn thing freezes up shortly after the loading screen begins... it gets through the bink videos ok, but after that just stops dead. No sound eminating from the computer or the cdROM drive. I can't ctr-alt-del or alt-tab out of it.

Running Win XP, 1.2 ghz, 512 mb RAM.... ok... why won't it work?

bravus
2nd Jun 2004, 00:01
Your processor is at the low end - or actually below it. The minimum requirement is a 1.5 GHz. That's my best guess about why it won't work.

ALPSMAC
2nd Jun 2004, 00:31
Sorry, but I can't accept that. I have made s*** run on this machine you wouldn't believe. That, and, oh, the demo ran just dandy on FULL graphics at 800x600. Computers all work slightly differently dispite the same code, I know, I tweak mine for peak performance. Still, the damn thing should at least give me an opening screen. This is starting to get very agrivating. Please pass the word on to anyone you know in eidos or ionstorm tech support since it seems to be impossible to e-mail a human being for help.

Elder One
2nd Jul 2004, 18:44
Well, I got the graphics card I needed, i.e. NVIDIA FX 5700 AGP, and Thief DS still will not load. Please refer to the first message on this thread for my system specs and the exact nature of my problem. Although all my other games are running better than ever, I'm really dissappointed that Thief DS is still unloadable. I even took my first cd back and got a replacement, which does the same thing. The graphics card check told me, "ready to play." So far my total investment is about $160 of hard earned money. Someone please rescue me from this nightmare.

bravus
3rd Jul 2004, 15:42
G'day all

Just back from a couple of weeks in Europe, so I'm not even sure if these are still live queries, but anyway...

Alpmac, fair enough that you've got other stuff to run on your machine, and by all means best of luck with getting Deadly Shadows to work. I was simply pointing out one possible area of problems. Apart from that, all I got is the usual 'check all your drivers' route, but I imagine you've done that. Maybe check some logs (see other threads here) to see what the error is?

ElderOne, that's really, really odd. Is the error message exactly as you described in the first post in this thread? If it is, I'd say you need to strip out the drivers for the old video card before (re)installing the drivers for the new one - if you're getting that error message with that card, it's probably because its capabilities are being misreported.

Peter_Smith
3rd Jul 2004, 15:59
I am running Thief TDS version 1.1 (patched) at 600 x 800 (low shadow detail) with no complaints whatsoever on the following below-spec system:

Windows 2000
Asus A7v133 mobo
Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 GHz (actually runs at 1.2, so probably = P4 1.5)
Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200 with Omega drivers (nvidia_wxp_omega_14523a.exe is reported to be the fastest)
Audigy 2 sound card with latest drivers

Before installing TDS I did a chkdisk and defrag with Norton Disk Doctor and Speed Disk. I did a deinstall and driver cleaner before installing the Omega drivers. I usually run TDS with antivirus disabled, but not always. I can credit part of my success to the Omega drivers, which I read about on this forum, and part to a well maintained PC. Judging from the variety of responses here, part is also dumb luck, because many stronger systems do not perform well.

I am having smooth response with no stutter in most cases. Every once in a while when I am moving fast into a new scene with AI in persuit it will slow down to low FPS, say 5, but in normal play it is very smooth.

So, it is possible with luck and care. That said, I certainly would not recommend such a system.

Elder One
4th Jul 2004, 18:45
I guess I should have mentioned that after installing my new graphics card I am no longer getting the message: Problem - Your graphics card does not claim to support pixel shaders 1.1. Instead it now tells me that the card is OK and that I'm "Ready to play" Unfortunately, when I press the INSTALL button on the setup screen the install wizard starts up and then a window pops up with the message "Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its features?" The options given are YES or NO. If I press YES it acts like its deleting the application (which hasn't even been loaded yet). If I press NO I'm back to the setup screen. Its a vicious circle: I tell it to load - It asks if I want to remove the selected application. No matter what I do I keep ending up in the exact same place. My humble cyber knowledge tells me that this problem is related to the Installation Wizard. Any further thoughts on this nasty situation would be greatly appreciated.