PDA

View Full Version : Demo video / menu text issue

Turodar
29th May 2004, 12:52
Hi,

I am experiencing a problem with the demo of Thief 3. The actual game runs fine. I can play the game on my system. However, almost none of the menu text in the game is visible. I cannot see any of the menu text in the main menu, or in almost any of the configuration screens. The only menu text that is ever visible is the text on the key bindings screen! I can click on different parts of the screen and hit the menu items, but I cannot actually see any of the text.

I am running a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop with a Geforce4 4200 Go. I know that the readme.txt states that laptops are not supported, and that my graphics chip is not on the list of supported chips, but there must be a way to get this to work. The Geforce4 4200 Go worked fine with every other game I have ever tried to run. I have the latest drivers and DirectX version installed.

Any assistance anyone would give me would be greatly appreciated! I'm a huge fan of the series, and would hate to miss out on this one!

Thanks,
Turodar

Hedos
29th May 2004, 20:35
I have the exact same problem and I haven't found how to fix it yet.
I have a radeon 9800 pro, AMD 3200+ and 512mb of RAM.
I tried catalyst version 4.1, 4.4 and 4.5
(And I decided to stay with 4.4 since it seems that 4.5 have lightning problems)

I also have the latest version of DirectX and I have tried many configuration for my direct3d settings and nothing has worked :(

theBlackman
30th May 2004, 09:32
I have just the opposite. :) I can tweak the gamma etc. in the ATI COLOR menu for individual games.

The menu is fine, as are the opening screens. But the Loading screens flicker from visible to extremely dark, and in game, I can see the footprints, read the script, but everything else is just a silhouette against backlight.

The buildings are shadows against the skyline, the guard is seen in silhouette when he passes over the glowing footprints.

I can see no textures or objects. In the cellar, the doorways are a pattern of cobwebs at the top, in a pitch black area.

There are diagonal smears of bluish streaks speckled with "stars" but for the rest, except for the candle on the table and the torches, I can see no objects.

Obstacles are only a dark blob against whatever background light is there.

At the "pick the lock" test, I cannot see the lock or the door just the blue arrow, and some orangish brown cobwebs above my head to the left of the arrow.

XP Home
ATI Radeon AIW 8500 128
512 Meg DDR
Audigy platinum 2

Sound is fine, menus and intro screens are fine, but ingame is just a bunch of black with glowing footsteps.

I can see "my" feet shadowed against the footprints, but no detail on anything else.

Trotterwatch
30th May 2004, 13:00
What drivers are you using? I know the latest 4.5 drivers have problems like you have been describing.

theBlackman
30th May 2004, 19:21
Drivers are version 6.14.10.6414.

Trotterwatch
30th May 2004, 21:09
Those are the 4.4 drivers, so you should be ok AFAIK. Though I too have a Radeon 8500, and am using the 4.5 drivers in the demo without noticing any problems.

I do find the ATI drivers have been slightly flakey the past few versions though so perhaps worth experimenting with a different driver revision if you get no luck elsewhere.

Personally I like the 3.10 drivers best (with the OpenGL from 3.7). However I do quite a lot of beta testing for various projects, so I have to keep using the latest version when it's released :)

theBlackman
30th May 2004, 21:28
Thanks, Trotterwatch I hate making changes unless it is truly necessary.

If it ain't broke, I avoid trying to fix it.

I have both the newest driver version, and my current one in my backup files, so I guess I can clean out the 4.4 and try the new one.

If it breaks, I won't have to look far to get back to where I am.

I'll just force a restore point and do the swap later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again.

rattkin
1st Jun 2004, 21:08
i have the same problem as described before, my sytem is also Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop with a Geforce4 4200 Go. that's odd, deus ex2 ran fine on my system.

i had the same problem before with kain 2 or kain 3 whatever.. if someone figured it out, please post the solution here!

thanks

Clumsyorchid
1st Jun 2004, 21:35
Originally posted by rattkin
i have the same problem as described before, my sytem is also Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop with a Geforce4 4200 Go. that's odd, deus ex2 ran fine on my system.

i had the same problem before with kain 2 or kain 3 whatever.. if someone figured it out, please post the solution here!

thanks

Thief 3 does not support the Geforce4 GO series. Sorry :(

System Requirements can be found here:

System requirements (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37032)

rattkin
1st Jun 2004, 22:34
so there is absolutelly nothing we can do? the game is working fine, fixing menus should not be a problem..

it's probably for the best that didn't buy it: rolleyes:

Turodar
2nd Jun 2004, 02:38
Originally posted by Clumsyorchid
Thief 3 does not support the Geforce4 GO series. Sorry :(

System Requirements can be found here:

System requirements (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37032)

By "support," I wonder if Eidos means that it will only work on those video cards, or that they will only offer technical support with those video cards? Either way, it's ludicrous. This is the first game I have tried on my Inspiron 8500 that hasn't run seamlessly. Let's see...I've run Morrowind, KotOR, Homeworld 2, GTA 3, Raven Shield--the list goes on and on. Many of those games are more technically impressive than Thief 3, which, in all honesty, doesn't look that impressive.

I hope Ion Storm eventually realizes that all of their customers are worth it, and fixes these problems.

Or maybe someone will come up with a solution. I would really love to buy the game, but I obviously won't until this is fixed.

rattkin
2nd Jun 2004, 13:34
did anyone try the 3D-Analyzer ?
http://www.tommti-systems.com

frankofreely
9th Jun 2004, 22:50
I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop with an NVidia GeForce 4 4200 go video card. I was having the same problems as other users. The text was missing from all the menu's and from in-game books. Also the game would crash after 5 minutes of play.

I installed a new set of drivers and now the game works beautifully! I assume that the same should work for most of you guys considering that you are having the same problems with the same laptop.

So here's the scoop. Go to http://www.laptopvideo2go.com and download the 61.12 driver and inf file. Follow the instructions on the site for driver installation and all your problems (hopefully!) should be resolved.

Can't promise that this driver won't screw up other things though so buyer beware, although so far I have had no problems other than standby mode freezes up (well documented problem on the site)

Good luck

Franko

Turodar
9th Jun 2004, 23:06
Anyone try this yet?

rattkin
11th Jun 2004, 20:51
Yes, it works! do as the man says!

i got some crashes playing the Singles game, but thief runs fine. the character movement is a bit jerky, but it's very playable.
how does it work out for the rest of the band?

admins - what about pinning this thread or something?

--rattkin disappears into the shadows--

Turodar
15th Jun 2004, 06:23
Yep, it works. :)

Thanks!