PDA

View Full Version : Video card and memory issues

AriusDax
29th May 2004, 12:51
Finally got Thief 3 via postie, and the puter isn't up to specs! Not even a year old yet!

My question is, if I replace the video card (I have NVIDIA GEFORCE 4MX (NOT supported!!) and was thinking of plugging in the GeForce FX 5200 VC, AGP, 128 MB DDR) would it be worth the trouble with 448 MB RAM? While the tech specs say the game will run fine with 258, it also says it will "run smoother with 512". Will it be jumpy or choppy with 448? Should I just sell the PC game and go get an XBox?

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Grumpy Dax:mad:

Taffer61
3rd Jun 2004, 19:42
I recently upgraded from a Geforce 440mx to a Geforce fx 5200, I have no complaints about the 440mx but in order to support pixel shaders in games like Halo I had to upgrade. As for thief I cannot give you any specific help on this game, because I run Windows 98se Thief 3 will not work. But I am pretty sure you could run Thief with lower resolution and some details turned down. As for the memory its expensive at the moment, I have been advised to wait for a while.

AriusDax
4th Jun 2004, 02:00
Originally posted by Taffer61
But I am pretty sure you could run Thief with lower resolution and some details turned down. As for the memory its expensive at the moment, I have been advised to wait for a while.

Hi ya Taffer61

Thanks for the details. I figured by the time I spent the $$ to upgrade my brand new puter, I may as well go ahead and get an XBox. So I did. :cool: A refurb with a 1 year warrenty - better than spending the cash and ripping apart yet another puter! And no graphics problems either. Weee!

Thanks again
Dax