PDA

View Full Version : Thief 3 query about Sound/video issue

hagatha
29th May 2004, 03:45
My older computer with a Geforce 4200 TI runs the game well, but it's got lousy speakers and a smaller screen.

I'd like to play the game on my newer system, which has some good peripherals and a 19" screen, but the game just doesn't run well. It's extremely sluggish, and the game voices are non-existent, although the background music and other sounds are there. Can't play THief without hearing the grumbling guards, now can we?

The graphics card I have on that system is a Geforce FX5600, which should run the game as well as the 4200 ti, I would have thought (although I know exactly zip about these things).

However, I thought I'd ask if this might be a sound issue? I am using the on-board sound on this system because the store where I bought it could not get Soundblaster to install, and so I thought I'd wait for some advice on what to put on the system. Games like Sacred sound great using the on-board sound, but I never really thought I'd be able to get away with just using that.

I'd rather not get another video card if I can help it. What do you think?

amievil?
29th May 2004, 04:38
what is the name of your on board audio? i have on board audio as well, avance or something like that......runs fine for me...im just having a different problem...

try updating your drivers if you havent already, that should do it...

hagatha
29th May 2004, 06:35
I actually don't know what the sound is on this computer. I just bought the system a month ago, and they installed the latest drivers at that time.

The reason I suspect a sound problem rather than a video problem per se is that the sound isn't really working. No speaking at all, which as we all know is part of the charm of the game.

I'm thinking of the getting the lates Soundblaster installed (because I need sound anyway, and have a credit at the store) and see what happens.

I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on the new video card - maybe it stinks! I have to say I have a lot of respect for my older Geforce 4200 ti.

Alantin
29th May 2004, 22:27
i get this problem as well

the game runs fine as long as there are no new sounds to load
if i stand still i can look around just fine

but as soon as there is a new sound to load or maybe it's only the postional audio, the game freezes for a couple of seconds and then returns to normal until the next slowdown occurs

i can hear the music and the background sound and even the guard humming infront of the inn of the first mission
the briefing runs just fine as well

hagatha
30th May 2004, 00:10
I've taken my second computer back in to have SOundblaster installed, hoping it will resolve the issue. In the meantime computer number one is happily runnign the game.