PDA

View Full Version : Constant crashes

lordkor
28th May 2004, 22:52
T3 will constantly crash to the desktop without warning, no errors or anything.

Specs:
Win2k SP4
Geforce 5950 Ultra
1GB RDRAM
SB Audigy 2

Typical latest drivers and such. Any ideas?

Kei
28th May 2004, 23:29
Having EXACTLY the same problem as you on the T3 demo! Except it usually crashes to desktop on the tutorial as im picking the lock :confused:

Iam running a 9600 pro with cat 4.4

Any suggestions would be good

chikin
30th May 2004, 21:53
Same problem.

Win XP 2.4 Ghz Pentium IV
Radeon 9600 XT, latest drivers installed
512 RAM

><

nightspore
30th May 2004, 23:51
Same problem; I can't play for more than 5 minutes without crashing.

Win XP
P4 - 3.2 ghz
ATI 9800 Pro -Cat 4.4 / 4.5 - no difference with either driver
1 Gb PC2700 DDR
Asus Mobo w. onboard sound
DX 9.0b (don't want to install 9.0c until it gets out of beta)

Kei
31st May 2004, 18:54
Ok i dont think this will be the solution for all the people with this crash problem. But I just put a new heat sync on my CPU, because I noticed that after playing TDS my CPU was really very hot....about 68 degrees. So anyway I put the new heat sync on with some thermal paste and so far ive been able to play through the Deadly Shadows demo twice with absolutly no crashes. Now I doubt that everybody with this problem has a red hot CPU........but I seemed to have sorted mine by doing this. Its just a suggestion.

Kei

cc-vortex
2nd Jun 2004, 00:32
Same issue, frequent crashes to DT with no error messages.
CPU temp at time of crash: 48c, so no heat issues.

AMD XP 2100+
1 GB RAM
GeForce 3 - Driver Version: 56.72
Directx 9.0b
Win XP Pro

toksic
2nd Jun 2004, 04:11
I had maybe one crash through out most of the game.
Until one specific point.....Now I can't continue.
It ctd's at the same place everytime. (Auldale level load.....)
Ive tried unclocking CPU and GPU. Temps are fine.
Rolling various drivers did nothing.....
Tried starting from different saves.....
Fresh install......
I give up
I dont see any common denominator above.
:confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused:

cc-vortex
2nd Jun 2004, 04:32
I don't see one either...
This is really getting on my nerves; its now
crashing every 3 or 4 minutes.

toksic
2nd Jun 2004, 07:21
Bumping up virtual memory, once fixed a frequent crash problem for me....
In Win2k Control Panel\System\Advanced\Performance\Virtual memory.
I entered 1.5X my physical memory in the total virtual.
eg. 512 mb physical= 756 initial and 756 max virtual.

I just think we need a patch really. Its pretty buggy. And I spent a long time tweaking .ini files just to get it looking, and running the way it should have been released. Damn Xbox ****e.

toksic
2nd Jun 2004, 07:36
Also frequent crashes are often software conflicts, Make sure NOTHING else is running, including your fire wall."Unplug" if your dsl or cable while gaming.
Check Task Manager, and shut down anything not necessary.
You can find a "bare bone" list on-line.

cc-vortex
2nd Jun 2004, 16:29
I already run a bare-bones system as it is.
As far as virtual memeoy goes, I use 1600 MB
for 1 GB of ram, which already more than recommended.

fernando334
6th Jun 2004, 03:09
I have a very similar problem. I started playing the game and it was running perfectly. I then bought an audigy 2 card and this is when my problems started. The game will drop me to the desktop with no error message. When I try to run the game again it won't launch. I think this may have something to do with my onboard sound. I disabled the onboard sound but it may be causing a conflict. I'm going to try some driver reinstalling and swapping to see what I can come up with.

cc-vortex
6th Jun 2004, 03:31
Cool, let us know what happens

fernando334
6th Jun 2004, 04:58
Well I seem to have solved the problem on my system for now. I first installed the newest Nvidia drivers for my video card(gf4ti4200 oc'd) from 56.62 -->56.72. Secondly I installed the Driver patch update released (29 March 2004) for my Audigy2 ZS. This patch may be older than the drivers I got with the card since I just purchased it a few days ago, anyways it seems to have worked for now. I hope this can help someone else who is having similar problem. Both files where taken from the official sites of the companies.

Vast_Girth
12th Jun 2004, 00:53
im having the same problem.

athlon xp2000+
ATI Radeaon 9600XT
Audigy

I updated to the latest audigy drivers, which made the crashes slighty less, but they are still there.

For some reason when i restart the comp it will go on for a bit longer before crashing. (maybe 20 -30 mins). But after it has crashed once its every 5 mins or so :mad:

Rage_0
12th Jun 2004, 19:38
With this many replys, I think we have a genuine bug.

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (Cat 4.6)
Audigy2 ZS
AMD 1700+

I'm getting frustrated with not being able to play for more than 10-15 minutes MAX. I'll give the new Audigy driver patch a try and see how that goes.

Vast_Girth
13th Jun 2004, 10:06
yup i think we do too. I dont get crashes like this on ANY other game. My system has always been very stable and i really like thief and so its really annoying not being able to experience it properly.

snyderm
13th Jun 2004, 15:39
I have perhaps the same problem. Thief 3 freezes up quite frequently. When I first start playing the game it will play fine for 20-30 minutes, and then it will randomly freeze up. Sometimes after control Alt Deleting to the task manager will enable the game to start running again, sometimes it won't. My specs:

Windows 2000
Pentium 4 2.3 GH
Nvidia GForce TI 4600 (downloaded latest drivers before playing)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer (Newest Drivers)

I don't experience any problems with other demanding new games (such as FarCry, Unreal Tournament 2004, etc.)

The game looks and plays quite well until it freezes.

Can anyone recommend trying anything?

Vast_Girth
13th Jun 2004, 22:33
I had a hunch the sound card was to blame so i tried disabling my audigy and installing the drivers for my onboard sound instead, in the hope that would get rid of teh crashes.

didnt work :mad:

kampf
14th Jun 2004, 05:15
Toksic said"

I had maybe one crash through out most of the game.
Until one specific point.....Now I can't continue.
It ctd's at the same place everytime. (Auldale level load.....)
Ive tried unclocking CPU and GPU. Temps are fine.
Rolling various drivers did nothing.....
Tried starting from different saves.....
Fresh install......
I give up
I dont see any common denominator above.

"
As i wrote in another thread by you , don't feel bad i have the very same problem as you do , frustrating isn't it :(

Vast_Girth
16th Jun 2004, 08:28
hmm, last night i managed to play for nearly 3 hours without a crash ( and then i went to bed feeling very happy). No idea why, as i hadn't changed anything. this is really confusing me now :confused: :confused: :confused:

bryanhickman7777
16th Jun 2004, 14:35
It arrived today.....played for an hour...crashed to desktop.
Loaded it back up, crashed after about 30 seconds...now keeps crashing every few minutes.
Athlon xp 3000+, 333 fsb
512ddr 400mhz
sound blaster live player 5.1
msi 6712
latest via drivers
4.4 catalyst.

gettin really pissed off.

evilranger
21st Jun 2004, 17:51
Same problem here. First install it ran great for about an hour. Now after about 2-3 mins. it gets all choppy and locks up my PC.

WinXP/Home
P4 2.4
Nvidia GForce TI 4600
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum

All drivers up to date.

4W4K3
21st Jun 2004, 18:51
ok...try touching your video card while playing the game. i played T3 on a FX5900XT with 3 fans on the card..and almost burnt my finger. you need to check EVERYHTHING that has the potential to get hot while ur computer is on and try and get fans on it. T3 is very intensive game and stock cooling is not an option if you want to play it for 1+ hours. if you still get crashes after checking coolin and fixing the heat issue then its either a hardware or software problem. and i cant help u there unless i ccan borrow your computer:)

kampf
22nd Jun 2004, 04:37
4w4k3 said

"ok...try touching your video card while playing the game. i played T3 on a FX5900XT with 3 fans on the card..and almost burnt my finger. you need to check EVERYHTHING that has the potential to get hot while ur computer is on and try and get fans on it. T3 is very intensive game and stock cooling is not an option if you want to play it for 1+ hours. if you still get crashes after checking coolin and fixing the heat issue then its either a hardware or software problem. and i cant help u there unless i ccan borrow your computer"

The fix you give here while helpful, i doubt does me any good as i get a CTD to desktop at the SAME place EVERY time.
I've tried updateing device drivers , windows 2000 is updated , Bios updated,you get the picture and also reinstalling the game as others said here.

The two most agravating things about this is that up to this point in the game, i'm at the part where you are trying to find Gamills hideout Auledale load, i've had very few CTD's up till now with pretty much good gameplay . Also the fact that the game didn't crash at this point that last time i went to Auldale to meet the Hammerite priest before Cradle mission really has me scratching my head to as what might be causing this . So i would
just like to end this with a question as to whether anyone at EDIOS is paying attention to these boards or if there is a plan for a patch to fix these problems.?

4W4K3
23rd Jun 2004, 19:17
Originally posted by kampf
The fix you give here while helpful, i doubt does me any good as i get a CTD to desktop at the SAME place EVERY time.
I've tried updateing device drivers , windows 2000 is updated , Bios updated,you get the picture and also reinstalling the game as others said here.

like i said if it is a software/hardware (in your cae i imagine software) i really cant help. did you try contacting EIDOS at all? i know it will probably take a really long time trying to sort it out, and i imagine it isnt ur computer, but a flaw in the game. my advice is usually not good at all if you have software problems lol. i'll see if i can still find a solution from all the data u gave. do you know the exact mission name i crashes on? i havent plyed ti enough to know the by heart lol. and did you try reinstalling the game? it probably wont help but it might just be after u played it the first time the data going into Auldale got corrupted sometime and doesnt let you go any further. im dont know enough to help you beyond general commonsense advice lol. u probably know more than me.

kampf
24th Jun 2004, 00:54
4w4ke said """"""""""""""
like i said if it is a software/hardware (in your cae i imagine software) i really cant help. did you try contacting EIDOS at all? i know it will probably take a really long time trying to sort it out, and i imagine it isnt ur computer, but a flaw in the game. my advice is usually not good at all if you have software problems lol. i'll see if i can still find a solution from all the data u gave. do you know the exact mission name i crashes on? i havent plyed ti enough to know the by heart lol. and did you try reinstalling the game? it probably wont help but it might just be after u played it the first time the data going into Auldale got corrupted sometime and doesnt let you go any further. im dont know enough to help you beyond general commonsense advice lol. u probably know more than me.""""""""

I have not contacted EDOIS directly as others have

allready done so on this board who had the same type problems

as me who where given the Standard " update your drivers, and

try reinstalling the game again " type response from EDIOS. I'm

not really looking for that type of answer because i can tell it's a

software problem with the game, not my computer. What had me

worried though is that this thread is over a week or so old and i

haven't heard any feedback from Edios as to the effect if they

even acknowledge that there might be a problem and a patch is

coming. So what i'm saying is all i want is official responce to as

when these problems might be fixed. I've allready tried the fixes

that Edios tech support gave to others on here and it didn't help.

And to answer your question , yes i did reinstall the game<per

the tips and help section here in the forum, and the place it CTD's

at is the Audale load point after the cradle mission where you

are tasked with finding Gamills hideout.Everytime i try to spawn

into Audale i get a CTD.

4W4K3
24th Jun 2004, 17:57
hmm...sounds like EIDOS is getting swamped with error reports. im sure they watch these forums..just not in depth and probablt cant reply within the time frame everyone needs. looks like waiting is the only solution...sux.

bryanhickman7777
24th Jun 2004, 18:28
Im sure eidos dont give a monkeys, as its up to ion storm to fix the problems.

4W4K3
25th Jun 2004, 01:14
im sure SOMEONE is watching these forums and reporting problems. if not a low payed intern...jk. this is no doubt a hot spot for info for the latest fixes i imagine. with all the info here i could probably patch together a working update (if i had a LONG time and the skills to do it).

steerpike
25th Jun 2004, 08:34
I don't know if this is the same problem (actually, it probably is), but I downloaded the demo yesterday from Fileplanet, and started playing through. However, about the time where you go into the cellar in the training mission, and walk into the barrel that rolls down the ramp, the game black-screens, and my monitor powers down, leaving me unable to do anything.

I'm running a:

MSI K7Delta Motherboard (with Nforce2 400-Ultra chipset)
AMD XP 3200+ 400 FSB
512 MB DDR-400 RAM
160 GB HDD (130 GB free)
Geforce 4 Ti4200 (don't laugh!)

I've just upgraded all components except for the Geforce 4, and they are all running the latest drivers from the manufacturer. I'm also using Windows 2000, updated fully.

I take from the general thread here that the full version of the game does this as well. Oh well - perhaps Deus Ex 2 then! (Actually, does anyone know if Deus Ex 2 suffers from the same problems???)

evilranger
26th Jun 2004, 02:57
Finally fixed my crashing problem. It was simply that my pc was too hot. I opened the case and pointed a small floor fan directly at my mobo and Vid vard. It's hard to believe but it was that simple. Hope this helps others.

4W4K3
26th Jun 2004, 03:47
Originally posted by evilranger
Finally fixed my crashing problem. It was simply that my pc was too hot. I opened the case and pointed a small floor fan directly at my mobo and Vid vard. It's hard to believe but it was that simple. Hope this helps others.

and this si why i give out general advice lol. u might want to invest in some case fans, or a better cpu, chipset coolers. it will be alot better than a room fan if yuou set them up right. i have a total of 9 fans in my computer, its easy to hear inside my room, but from my doorway barely. airflow is the key if your having heat issues.

evilranger
26th Jun 2004, 03:56
Cooling upgrade is otw :)

4W4K3
26th Jun 2004, 14:40
i remember when my computer would run 45C+ load lol. i had to use this room fan, pushed like a million cfm's and would cool pc all day lol. now i just use 6 80mm fans and i idle 31C and load about 44C unless my room is hotter. once got to 48 after burn-in went for 3 hrs lol. i swear computers can be used as room heaters in the winter lol.

steerpike
26th Jun 2004, 19:43
Am I the only person here who is concerned that we apparently have to install extra cooling fans to get a game to run? My computer isn't exactly running hot at the moment - non of my components are overclocked, and my processor and graphics card have new fans, both of which cool beyond the manufacturer specification. I also have an additional case fan, which I have installed, and is cooling between the CPU and GPU. My case isn't exactly full of peripherals and add-on cards - I think the only one in there other than my Geforce is a network card. Surely the official line from Eidos and Ion Storm isn't that we have to fill up computer cases with cooling fans?

Perhaps its time for the system requirements on game boxes to read:

Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz or greater
256 MB RAM
64 MB Graphics Card
3 Cooling Fans.

Perhaps not.

bryanhickman7777
26th Jun 2004, 20:20
If all your other games work and thief 3 doesnt, then its obviously not the cooling.
My processor runs at about 41 degrees, but it gets to the point where people try anything.

Beleive me, if your comp was too hot you would know about it.

steerpike
26th Jun 2004, 20:24
Yeah - I think you may be right. I just got a bit irate just now about the whole cooling thing! I tried the Deus Ex 2 demo just to see whether that would work, and it runs fine - no crashes at all. Given that they run on the same game engine, perhaps it is just a bug...

bryanhickman7777
26th Jun 2004, 20:30
yeah....i had to update my motherboard bios, in order for it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4W4K3
27th Jun 2004, 02:52
Originally posted by bryanhickman7777
yeah....i had to update my motherboard bios, in order for it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats understandible if your BIOS is old, it needs to be updated just like u update your drivers. and it could have been corrupted, T3 is a BRAND NEW game, i wouldnt expect it to run on a 2yr old BIOS without flaws. then again if your BIOS was new i understand your frustration.

bryanhickman7777
27th Jun 2004, 10:10
All i new is that thief 3 regulary crashed.
My motherboard isn't that old its a MSI KT4AV, i update my bios for fun....i enjoy updating every part of my comp as it usually gives you boosts for free.
The msi website said "fixes conflicts with radeon 9800 and 3d mark" so i gave it a shot and it worked.
I have a amd athlon xp 3000+
radeon 9800 pro
512 ddr 400mhz
and an audigy 2 zs.
Now i can run the game perfect.
Plus my system is always around 42 degrees (CPU)........i haven't updated the cooling and mine doesn't have any heating problems.

4W4K3
27th Jun 2004, 12:03
I have a amd athlon xp 3000+
radeon 9800 pro
512 ddr 400mhz
and an audigy 2 zs.
Now i can run the game perfect.
Plus my system is always around 42 degrees (CPU)........i haven't updated the cooling and mine doesn't have any heating problems.

Do you overclock? with those temps and those specs stock cooling should be fine as long as you dont overclock.

bryanhickman7777
27th Jun 2004, 14:21
No mate, i dont overclock.......i honestly dont see the point.
I feel like a cheat when i overclock.
However, i may have to once Half life 2 and doom 3 come out.

4W4K3
27th Jun 2004, 19:27
No mate, i dont overclock.......i honestly dont see the point.
I feel like a cheat when i overclock.
However, i may have to once Half life 2 and doom 3 come out.

HAH! u feel like a cheat?!?! how much $$$$ did you spend on your setup? and since you own it, you can do whatever u want with it. With the right cooling and hardware you can get 2.8-3.0GHz or higher on an AMD. and on an intel up to and possibly over 4.0Ghz. but thats really besides the point, i must say it is one of my biggest hobbies. It's fun to see how high you can get your computer, then see a computer just as fast or even slower in the store that costs $100-$1000 more than you spent on yours. But everyone to there own...i was very scared i would break my cpmputer when i first started. Some people race cars, some people overclock. just a hobby really.

bryanhickman7777
28th Jun 2004, 10:25
IT Crashed last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So i took the side panel off and now its alright...................
i might start tio overclock once i get a super fan.

4W4K3
28th Jun 2004, 19:35
IT Crashed last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So i took the side panel off and now its alright...................
i might start tio overclock once i get a super fan.

wats a superfan? and did your ENTIRE computer crash..or just an application? if the entire computer crashed than i dont think you should overclock it. thats means its not even stable at default speeds and you need to change settings or re-evaluate your hardware and makes ure its ok. if you overclock an already crash happy computer your problems will jsut get bigger and bigger depending on how much you push your hardware. if it was just a game crash overclocking might help it run faster, better...but then again it might be a glitch if it was Thief. it really just sounds like a heat issue if your computer hasnt crashed since you took the side panel off though. computers are so unpredictable lol...but very entertaining when they do run.

bryanhickman7777
29th Jun 2004, 10:30
Thief 3 just crashed to the desktop.
A superfan hasn't been invented yet.(A really powerful fan that makes no noise.)
I haven't overclocked, i think it has something to do with DVD rom games, and the heat from your computer.
Or perhaps 400 mhz memory speeds....who knows.

4W4K3
29th Jun 2004, 17:52
Thief 3 just crashed to the desktop.
A superfan hasn't been invented yet.(A really powerful fan that makes no noise.)
I haven't overclocked, i think it has something to do with DVD rom games, and the heat from your computer.
Or perhaps 400 mhz memory speeds....who knows.

i run 220fsb so i dont think 200mhz should be a problem unless u have a really bad motherboard (what kind u have?). some people can get 250+fsb with insane hardware and cooling, and htey run rock stable so im thinking its just the Thief game. ur computer is probably fine. if you are interested in overclocking you can go HERE (http://www.insanetek.com) and start a thread to find out exactly how to do it (or if you know how pretty much just post ur results and any problems that occur on the way). or you can run stock too...should work fine either way. just make sure u got ur case open if u decide to play for hours on end again. i used to do that too b4 i got better cpu cooler.:)

bryanhickman7777
29th Jun 2004, 20:09
I have the msi kt4av, which supports a 333 mhz front side bus and 400mhz memory speed.(which i find strange.)
Any way my cpu is a 3000+ amd xp with a bus speed of 333...tada. So everything is cushty...i haven't played it for a couple of days though...anyway the side panel is still off because i can't be arsed to put it back on.

4W4K3
29th Jun 2004, 21:57
yes my old soyo board was 333cpu fb support and up to 400memory (pc3200). they do that so you cant run 1:1 parameters unless u overclock. u gotta run like 5:4 or something. are you running 200? or just 133? my 2400 was 333fsb (166*12) but i ran 200*10 for the performance boost. still default speed so you can get a boost in performance without feeling like a "cheat". lots of people run that ive read.

bryanhickman7777
30th Jun 2004, 10:23
My fsb is 166 by 2, for some reason i cant change the multiplier..only the fsb.
The memory settings are on auto, i have two sticks of 256 pc3200.

4W4K3
30th Jun 2004, 12:16
My fsb is 166 by 2, for some reason i cant change the multiplier..only the fsb.
The memory settings are on auto, i have two sticks of 256 pc3200.

i think what you mean is your fsb is 166 and your system clocks is by 2 to get 333fsb total. your CPU multiplier is the one needing to be changed. you can never do anything but ###*2 for fsb. so you want like (166*14) if you keep that fsb(14 is CPU multiplier...cana you cange that one or is it locked as well?) if all your multipliers are locked you A: have a locked CPU and your kinda screwed with overclocking unless u want to mod it, or B: your motherboard does not "un-lock" your CPU automatically which means u need a new one if you want to overclock. and if you have NEVER messed with your ram timings or your ratios your PC3200 might not really be going at 400mhz. i popped mne in when i first got it and it booted as PC2700 until i cleared CMOS and messed with settings, then it registered and ran 400 defaults. but most rams will run 400 right out of the box without any work. but thats all i can think of, google your mobo and find out if its good for voerclocking and see if you need to unlock processor manually or not. maybe find a page that has to do with your BIOS version and see what all the settings do exactly. so you know where to look. its alot faster, i even use printouts for my BIOS when i first get the board till i remember where and what they all do.