PDA

View Full Version : Help in the Bonehoard (possible spoilers)

bravus
22nd May 2004, 15:20
Hi All

So, somewhat to my shame, I'm completing Thief 1 for the first time on 'Expert' (I've played through a few times on the other difficulties). I'm down in the Bonehoard, and having fun - I've got the Horn and the Mystic's Soul, just finding loot and looking for the Mystic's Heart (which I think has something to do with this gold skeleton I'm assembling).

Don't give me any other hints, if you'd be so kind, but I climbed down into the little pit with the 'don't come near my face, thief, or you'll be sorry' idul dude, stole his eyes - and then couldn't grab the rope from my rope arrow to climb back out. Even tried stacking skulls to get higher, but without success. It seems like I should be able to grab it, or even that I do grab it and then drop it again... Any helpful hints? Do I need to hunt up a boulder or something and throw down?

bravus
22nd May 2004, 15:23
Bwahahaha - so, of course, naturally the moment I'd posted this I went back into the game, and it worked perfectly for me. Either it's Murphy's Law, or this forum is magic - I prefer the second explanation!

Sneak
22nd May 2004, 15:42
Who knows, maybe it was Murphy's Law. But you aren't the only one who had trouble there. I have gotten on a rope the first jump, I have also had to reload and try a lot of times to get out. Once I had to shoot a whole wad of rope arrows up in the ceiling to make a tangle of ropes to jump into just to grab one to climb. Was one of those days.

That little spot can be persnickety for some reason. :D

clayman
22nd May 2004, 23:58
Yes, the pit can be cantankerous. The last time I played I got in and out fine, but have grumbled about this buggy area in the past. I now just quicksave before dropping in out of reflex for what might happen.

As for the Soul and the Heart, they are my two favorite puzzles/traps in the whole game series, so I will not spoil a thing by commenting. :)

littlek
23rd May 2004, 12:59
Bonehoard on expert has to be my favorite level. I too have been trapped with that horrid face. Did you see the skulls move towards it? shudder :eek: As soon as I get through with SS2, I plan to replay the Thief series to get in that Thiefy frame of mind for T3. Keep us posted on your progress.

bravus
23rd May 2004, 13:55
All finished with the Bonehoard and Assassins, and just wandered into Constantine's mansion in search of the sword. I love the Bonehoard, except that I'm always so lost in the maze, I end up spending a lot of time just kind of randomly wandering, hoping to bump into loot/my objective by accident. At the same time, that maze-like quality makes the level feel approximately infinite in size! It's great. And getting Ramirez' purse from his belt without killing anyone was a rush. Did a fair bit of 'run like hell while the sirens scream' style in there, though... ;) I'm really looking forward to Constantine's freaky place. I was planning to load up Gold and play it, but can only find one of the two CDs... Oh well, it would have taken too long to play the three extra levels if I hope to finish before Thief 3 comes out this week. ;)

Skanky Burns
23rd May 2004, 18:15
I absolutely love the Bonehoard mission.
I play on expert level without saving, but the one exception I make is that pit. I save before getting in there incase the rope arrow doesn't want to cooperate with me that day. If I die later on in the level though, its back to the beginning again.

Gumdrop
23rd May 2004, 21:45
Fair dinkum Bravus. It's good to hear people talk about T1 again. Glad you're enjoying yourself. :)

One of my favorite passtimes at the old dig was rambling on about my love/hate relationship with BH, but I've won out over it now and I fell off the fence onto the lovers lawn. Haha. The Sword however, is a different matter. I hate it and always have! The gardens are really cool and creepy, and I loved exploring them, but the inside of the mansion was ghastly IMHO.

Keep us posted.

bravus
25th May 2004, 01:35
Play is going fairly slowly, because I'm also in the process of trying to get a US$1.4 million research grant proposal out the door, with a bunch of different people at 4 different universities in the US and Canada, some of whom hate each other's guts. ;)

Constantine's has been lots of fun - extra goodness having to knock out the two archers and a swordsman who I usually shot from cover right at the top of the house where you grab the sword.

I'm a little stuck at the moment - I have the sword and the loot, but not the incriminating information. My assumption is that that's in the locked office in the greenhouse, but I can't find a key. Any hints - or corrections of false assumptions - would be very welcome.

D

theBlackman
25th May 2004, 02:03
Bedroom second floor. The one with the spitting face on the wall. Check the bed and surrounds very carefully.

Also the one on the other side off the dining room area second floor.

Good luck, primarily with the grant, and of at least the same importance, Thief. :D

bravus
25th May 2004, 02:37
Danke, that did the trick - now back to grant work before *really* enjoying the Cathedral.

bravus
26th May 2004, 03:07
Having a great time in the haunted city around the Cathedral. I have to shamefacedly admit that this is the first time I climbed up the back of the Cathedral and saw the eye - I had always played on machines with horrid graphics cards, and hadn't even *seen* those shelves to mantle up, so at this point I had to (hides head) resort to a walkthrough.

OK, so I have the portal key and know where the Talismans are and all that. I need to find the Serpentyle Torc, and have no clue where to start. I only have 1090 loot and need 2000, so I hope the Torc is expensive!

Any hints that'll get me headed toward the Torc would be muchly appreciated.

This level, perhaps because it's so maze-like, feels incredibly huge, and is spooky and creepy, without being ridiculously hard to play. Lots of fun - and truly something that I've seen nothing like in any other game. Picking a lock as the breathing and groaning of a zombie gets closer and closer behind you is seriously scary!

theBlackman
26th May 2004, 06:18
Originally posted by bravus

Any hints that'll get me headed toward the Torc would be muchly appreciated.

Go to the drawbridge. Check the area in a full 360 R/L and U/D. If that's not enough.

Climb to the top of the wall by the bridge. Look for a door above the stables. JUMP IN THE DOOR. Continue out the other side.

bravus
27th May 2004, 18:01
Thanks for both the help and the move of venue, tBM, and I promise I'll try to choose my forum with more care in future!

Finished off The Haunted Cathedral, and am running around the burrick-ridden building with the blue auto-lights in The Lost City. Too much work to do yesterday to play much, though. I'm determined to finish TDP before I go buy Thief 3 - don't you admire my self-control? ;)

theBlackman
27th May 2004, 18:32
You are welcome on both counts, bravus. No problem. :D

And you can start a new TOPIC when you move to another Mission. It helps sometimes to mention that your stuck in Lost City, or RTC or some such.

More people might turn up to give you aid.

Yes, I admire your restraint and discipline. I too have not purchased T3 yet. :D