PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Defragmentation - does it help performance alot?

Bandelero
22nd May 2004, 14:50
It's been a while since I last did it, so I'm definitly gonna do it before I install Thief 3 since it's such a demanding game. Will you do it, and do you think it will help the game performance alot?

Lake
22nd May 2004, 15:02
Not a lot but it might help a little if your hard drive is really fragmented.

Quillan
22nd May 2004, 17:44
The more fragmented your hard drive is, the more it will help. Can't really be more precise than that.

BrokenArts
22nd May 2004, 18:02
To get better performance overall from your system, you should do a maintenance, defrag, once a month. I do.

mardi
22nd May 2004, 18:06
I do a defrag about once a month and after a large program/game install/removal. I usually install the game and then play it (cuz y'know, I wanna play it right now!) and then do a defrag that night when I go to bed. If you defrag often then it usually only takes 20 minutes or so to complete.

Mr. Perfect
22nd May 2004, 21:14
A fragmented hard drive won't effect your frame rates, but will murder your level and game loading times. Only time it may hurt in-game framerates is if you've got very little ram and your PC has to use the HD as a pagefile to make up for that.

Majnun
22nd May 2004, 21:30
If you do lots of uninstalling/installing games or other programs then yeah...it's a good idea to defrag.

I just reformat my hard drive about once every 2-3 months and dont bother defragging.

BrokenArts
22nd May 2004, 22:32
You don't defrag? You reformat every two to 3 months? O_o Sorry, I couldn't imagine having to reinstall everything, over and over again.

Mr. Perfect
24th May 2004, 00:36
I can. It was called Windows 98. ;)

Fafhrd
24th May 2004, 12:36
its gotten better over the years - win95 I had to reinstall monthly. 98 bumped it up to 3 months, 2k has kicked it to once or twice a year.

This is also why I heavily partition my drives - I don't have to screw around with my data at all, just reinstall on C:

well, with any modern games I also have to reinstall them, since they have to stick their tendrils into the registry, but it still removes that pesky "rush to back up the data" routine to make sure you have it all that a reformat on a one-HD system has.

It was even worse with 95 - with my system, it was an all-day install. In order to get my plug-n-pray cards to work, I had to yank them all, install win95, and then put them in one by one. Its so much easier now that windows can actually recognize most cards.