PDA

View Full Version : FFXIV: What do you think of Guys using Female characters?

VictorSama
23rd Aug 2013, 02:05
Hi,

I know some guys may be using a female character. Is that weird?

I hope it is a common thing.

The thing is we are controlling/looking our character for the whole game. Would you like to look at a female character? or a Muscular Dude? As a guy myself, of course, I'll like to look at female characters and I think nothing wrong with that am I correct?

I just hope people won't get offense when they find out that the person behind the screen is actually a guy.

What do you think?

GoldX18
23rd Aug 2013, 02:06
It's not like were using FFXIV as a dating service, so I see no problem with it.

I myself like to play female characters, why you might ask? because visually they are more appealing, would one say i'm gay for choosing a male character? see the whole thing makes no sense if you ask me lol.

Pick what you like, just dont go be pretending to be an actual female lol

Edit: And sooner or later if you end up raiding, you'll have to get on Vent/Teamspeak lol so dont go pretending mmmkay!!

VictorSama
23rd Aug 2013, 02:20
I will never pretending to be a female lol. It's just such a great eye candy if you are controlling a female character.

The reason why I ask this question is that the new FF14 forum automatically put your character as your profile picture. So I'm afraid people may find it a bit odd if my avatar is a girl character, but my forum name is a male...

It's not like were using FFXIV as a dating service, so I see no problem with it.

I myself like to play female characters, why you might ask? because visually they are more appealing, would one say i'm gay for choosing a male character? see the whole thing makes no sense if you ask me lol.

Pick what you like, just dont go be pretending to be an actual female lol

Edit: And sooner or later if you end up raiding, you'll have to get on Vent/Teamspeak lol so dont go pretending mmmkay!!

View_Ryuuzoku
23rd Aug 2013, 02:22
It's actually a pretty common/normal thing in MMOs. No worries, no one will question you. XD

Mallust
23rd Aug 2013, 02:25
It don't matter play the game the way you want with the toon you want male or female. Only Homophobes have issue with guys playing girl toons and girls playing guy toons lol

Dilandu
23rd Aug 2013, 02:43
In some games the female characters have different stats ( doesn't happen here).
In some other where the animation is important (Ragnarok online) the female character have less frames to do the same animation so it saves you time (nothing but it add up when it is a long fight).
Some people like to play that roll in RP servers and other just do it so other give then items or gold... and yes it happens.
or just for fun.
there is a saying about that that goes as kind of like this ...the sluttier the toon the fatter the player xD

TinSparrow
23rd Aug 2013, 02:57
This is one of the more debated topics in the MMO world. In the end, play what you want, regardless of gender in the game or IRL. The only people that have an issue are the ones that cant get over assuming the gender in game is matching IRL. Apparently, being female IRL means I should also be one in game, along with casting spells and swinging weapons. :scratch:

Play what you want, theres no obligation to explain to anyone why you do.

ttuskey
23rd Aug 2013, 03:27
I go way back to the early days of MMORPGS. Everquest, Asheron's Call.
Back then it wasn't unheard of, but "unusual" for guys to play female toons. One thing I found was that at least in the early years, people were nicer to female characters.
That being said, I do agree with the eye-candy school of thought. If you're going to play these games for hundreds of hours, why not look at something appealing?

aray0002
23rd Aug 2013, 03:32
In FFXI if you wanted to be the Mithra you could only pick ( Female ) as the Mithra men are fairly rare and are seen as something of a commodity. Only the females, who are more numerous, go out to adventure. > well as Square Enix would have you believe.

The Miqo'te is the same type of character but.. this time around your allowed to pick from both Male and Female types of all the races they have available.

It's not weird to pick female, male or beast if that's what is being offered in the game.
I personally find it weird though if you spend more time dressing and undressing your female toon just to see her boobies and butt cheeks.

Mallust
23rd Aug 2013, 03:35
In FFXI if you wanted to be the Mithra you could only pick ( Female ) as the Mithra men are fairly rare and are seen as something of a commodity. Only the females, who are more numerous, go out to adventure. > well as Square Enix would have you believe.

The Miqo'te is the same type of character but.. this time around your allowed to pick from both Male and Female types of all the races they have available.

It's not weird to pick female, male or beast if that's what is being offered in the game.
I personally find it weird though if you spend more time dressing and undressing your female toon just to see her boobies and butt cheeks.

Exactly if your getting off on a animated toon you probably need more help then you can find on these forums LOL. And if you don't know what I mean by getting off ask Mom and Dad LOL.

Turbotailz
23rd Aug 2013, 03:40
I could say the same about ladies playing masculine or feminine guys chars.

The logical overall view is whatever appeals to the person the most and that is what they will play.
Others could be for various reasons such as anime/cartoon characters or just likes the animation when fighting a mob.

TinSparrow
23rd Aug 2013, 03:50
Exactly if your getting off on a animated toon you probably need more help then you can find on these forums LOL. And if you don't know what I mean by getting off ask Mom and Dad LOL.

I would have to disagree with this. Why would they need help, exactly? Is it because its something youre not used to or because you disagree with it? People can be perfectly sane and logical but have fetishes most people deem strange.

Brigit
23rd Aug 2013, 04:06
As a female, I cannot bring myself to play a male character. I just never connect with them, so any male character I make never gets past level 5.
I understand why guys choose avatars in either direction.
Male characters could be a figure they can relate to or aspire to be.
Female characters frequently have more customization and might be more appealing to look at for the life of the game.
It's all personal choice.

As a bonus, it fuels one of my favorite sayings:
"Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, and so are 98% of the women."

Squirl00
23rd Aug 2013, 05:06
I say to each their own. I've played male characters b4 in other games. Mainly so I could just actually play the game with my skills and not worry about being hit on all the time or others wanting to "protect" me or do me any favours. But of course as soon as I open my mouth its a dead give away :P

I understand some women like that and thats fine, I do at times as well but not all the time. And yes I have seen many guys playing female characters, and was told by some, the reasons why was so they could get free stuff or so girls would trust them more and reveal private info sort of thing. But its your game, you chose what you want ...

Brigit
23rd Aug 2013, 05:13
Prior to talking to someone via voice chat, I have never had anyone hit on me, try to protect me or offer me
free stuff based on my avatar's appearance. Maybe I've just gotten lucky that way.
After the girl card has been verified via voice chat, some have tried, but I've always shut that down right away.
Playing the game with my husband helps a lot in that regard. :D

So... yeah. PSA for other females out there. Don't share personal info with people in-game. That cannot end well.
Especially, if they seem to be working the "Hey, we're all girls here" angle.

Roguekitty
24th Aug 2013, 00:23
I'm female and I like playing female characters, and I feel odd if I play a male character. Of course, most people assume I'm a female if they chat with me even a bit in-game as I'm likely to use lots of smileys. :P
I did really enjoy making a big male Tauren Paladin tank in Wow though, because it was fun being all huge and smashing stuff :P

RamenNoodles
24th Aug 2013, 00:33
Some guys prefer to look at a girls butt instead of a guys? I dunno. When you're walking long distances and you've seen all that you can see, sometimes you end up looking at the back of your character.

TerakAlonia
24th Aug 2013, 00:43
"Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, and so are 98% of the women."

It used to be like that, when all computers were the size of houses, but new statistics show almost equal 50/50 men/women playing Final Fantasy today.

manduclese
24th Aug 2013, 01:26
I'm a guy and I play guy toons. Butts? Who's looking at butts? I don't see any butts! I see a cartoon representation of myself in a fantasy game world. Escapism! Now as far as guys playing girl toons or girls playing guy toons, I could care less, just DON'T PULL AGGRO OFF THE TANK and I will keep healing you. :)

Turbotailz
24th Aug 2013, 02:26
Now as far as guys playing girl toons or girls playing guy toons, I could care less, just DON'T PULL AGGRO OFF THE TANK and I will keep healing you. :)

Haha but seriously.. what if it was by accident? 1 time 2 times? I can understand if it happens more than that but if the tank can't keep aggro. The whole group is in danger ;p. You either step it up or run for the hills!

Squigibo
24th Aug 2013, 02:52
These are make believe characters...... shhhhhh

manduclese
24th Aug 2013, 02:55
Haha but seriously.. what if it was by accident? 1 time 2 times? I can understand if it happens more than that but if the tank can't keep aggro. The whole group is in danger ;p. You either step it up or run for the hills!

That was mostly a statement about gaming equality. I don't care who you are as long as you are making it happen out there on the battlefield. I'm not a heal miser where I will simply refuse to heal someone. Accidental aggro pulls are to be expected and how we recover from them is a testiment to how we work as a team, boys and girls. And in the event that the tank couldn't hold aggro in a bucket no matter what, it might be time to encourage him/her to level or rework his rotation and get anoter tank.

TL;DR: Don't pull aggro off the tank. ;)

AngelPhoenix77
24th Aug 2013, 04:28
I don't mind if males play female characters or vice versa, I know it all just a game. play female characters myself

loco12
24th Aug 2013, 05:01
i play as a guy cuz the character i create is a projection of me, thats why my character looks just like me... does that make sense?

Scarcity06
24th Aug 2013, 06:04
To me it's all about what I'm doing with the character (ie. tanking, healing). Usually if I'm tanking I'll create a more burly looking dude, as it just seems to "make sense" to me. I don't RP, but I tend to look at things from a more RP point of view, if it were actually happening, chances are the big dude would be taking the hits rather than the little taru or something. It's games like ffxi and this one that really throw that out of wack, as there's not much reason to have alts other than mules or AH characters. So I'll have to try and find one character design that fits everything for me >.> Good luck with that lol

Senzjo
24th Aug 2013, 06:54
MMORPG: "Mostly Men Online RolePlaying Girls"

Roguekitty
24th Aug 2013, 08:43
To me it's all about what I'm doing with the character (ie. tanking, healing). Usually if I'm tanking I'll create a more burly looking dude, as it just seems to "make sense" to me. I don't RP, but I tend to look at things from a more RP point of view, if it were actually happening, chances are the big dude would be taking the hits rather than the little taru or something. It's games like ffxi and this one that really throw that out of wack, as there's not much reason to have alts other than mules or AH characters. So I'll have to try and find one character design that fits everything for me >.> Good luck with that lol

I was actually a little disappointed to find out that one character could be everything. I had just gotten done making my army of alts, creating a character for every job that I wanted to do. Then to find out I really only need one.
I mean, I do think it's a cool concept. I'll just miss the "I'm character A and I'm a healer! And I'm character B and I'm a axe-wielding melee character!" I don't know, it just take a bit away from the character itself when you can go "I'm a tank! And..... now I"m holding a bow so I'm a Bard! And.... oh look now I have a staff and I'm a caster!"

Edeien
24th Aug 2013, 08:47
i cant see there anything being wrong with this. i always play female characters in any mmo... im a man for christ sake, i have to watch the game and i dont want to be looking at some man all the time :D so yes, nothing wrong with it, i have female char myself and i consider it pleasing to look at.. I am also married so its not like im nerd with no life looking to explore the oposite gender lol :)

24th Aug 2013, 08:53
I was actually a little disappointed to find out that one character could be everything. I had just gotten done making my army of alts, creating a character for every job that I wanted to do. Then to find out I really only need one.
I mean, I do think it's a cool concept. I'll just miss the "I'm character A and I'm a healer! And I'm character B and I'm a axe-wielding melee character!" I don't know, it just take a bit away from the character itself when you can go "I'm a tank! And..... now I"m holding a bow so I'm a Bard! And.... oh look now I have a staff and I'm a caster!"

Yeah that's exactly how I normally function haha. I mean it's nice to be able to put the effort into one character and have that carry forward, rather than have things like other games where you find a potentially awesome item/mount/whatever but it's on the "wrong" character. This will alleviate all of that, but I agree with the idea behind have multiple characters to tackle multiple roles. It's still possible in this game obviously, and it seems SE may even be expecting that, with there being such a high character cap (seems odd to me tbh) although it just won't be as efficient. Will take away the idea of "alt runs" which is good and bad at the same time haha. I dunno, I have mixed feelings about it. I just hope I can find a character design I'll want to stick with. I'm notoriously an alt-aholic so I'm hoping I can keep that in check for this game.

SinisJecht
24th Aug 2013, 08:54
I'm a 27 yo married man with 2 kids and I'm playing a female toon, mainly because I really liked FFX so I wanted my toon look like Yuna,and I am also being a summoner xD I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you don't try to abuse it in some way as someone mentioned and trying to convince people you're a girl?!?!?! lmao that's just down right bizarre.

Roguekitty
24th Aug 2013, 08:59
Yeah, I really like to start fresh sometimes and make a new character with a new class or whatever. Or I'll get tired of one character and want to play another. I don't RP, but I *do* feel that my characters have personalities. For example, I made 3 characters bases on my cats I've had. My current cat Rogue is a little ditzy and really sweet and loves everyone. So my Rogue character is a healer. I had a cat named Bynx in high school that had white fur, blue eyes, and was constantly fighting the neighbor cats. So my Bynx character is melee, with white hair and scratches all over her face. And then Ginger, my first cat, was really quiet, shy, and smart, so I made her to be a caster.

I don't know, I still may play all 3 anyways :P

24th Aug 2013, 09:03
Haha well I'll be an alt-aholic with you. Cactuar you said? I'm there :P

Arnaxizz
24th Aug 2013, 09:45
I have always played female characters for this reason: Way back in the day (10+ yrs) a lot of male players saw female characters and tried to 'chat them up', some quite aggressively turning on that character if turned down, offering torrents of verbal abuse to the unfortunate player. so I went female just to raz them when they found out I was male. If gave me hours of fun watching frustrated males getting angry when they realised I was a bloke too. The way I stopped the torrents of abuse was to ask a simple question: Are you gay? Although this has nothing to do with why they tried to chat to females, it certainly shut the majority of them up in an instant. I never did figure that one out.

Jasurim
24th Aug 2013, 15:03
I don't have any problems with it, it is a role playing game after all so you can play as whatever you want.

Although I'll admit I've never understood the reasoning where people will say it's because they'd rather be looking at a female character over a masculine character. I mean I suppose I get it, but at the same time when I'm playing my focus usually isn't on my character so much, as the world around me and I tend not be "checking out" my character as I play.

But again, to each their own, I don't always understand why they're doing it, but I don't really have to as it is none of my business. :P
I personally have a male alt lined up, more for a role playing perspective, I think it's fun playing around with different characters.

Hirengurth
24th Aug 2013, 15:12
Me i have used female models back since quake days originally because they had better hit boxes. Got in the habit and now in mmos its because i will be looking at them from behind for 2000Hrs and unless i look totally bad-ass at all times i would rather be something that is easier on the eyes than the usual male avatars.

KiLLxMExN0W
7th Mar 2014, 11:22
It don't matter play the game the way you want with the toon you want male or female. Only Homophobes have issue with guys playing girl toons and girls playing guy toons lol
I personally think it's a bit strange! I made my character me so do some of you guys wish you were girls or what? I included the post above 'cause I thought it a bit strange! By calling us homophobes ur literally calling the guys who play girls homos'! Don't think you really thought your comment through! XD

Mizuki_Yun
7th Mar 2014, 20:33
A guy playing a female character? I do see that a lot it almost asking what do you think of girls playing a guy character? I myself am an girl I play both female and male characters and I never thought of a online game for a dating services it's kind of sad win people think that they are but as long as you have fun it don't matter

Realmreaver92
3rd Apr 2014, 01:58
Why do I play female chars..... hmm...

She looks great from any angle... Because I am none of those races to begin with so it's my avatar and not me per se.
Not being me I play her and treat her like I would any woman. Hell I don't like it when guys hit on my female char. I don't hide my sex nor age but they really get mad when they find out I am a male. Not sure why really. I haven't played males since World of Warcraft. Maybe I will with me coming back to MMos?

Alts however are always female.