PDA

View Full Version : The future of FF14:ARR - Discuss

Darklordkjell
22nd Aug 2013, 09:18
No negativity here please. Let us discuss what the future might bring us. New areas to explore? Other and seperated crafting skills? New jobs or new classes? Or the possibility to see humanoid enemy increasing their intelligence, thus founding their own cities and that we, the players might now join this new faction and be a permanent enemy towards the already exisiting races and citites?

Who knows, but it's always fun to speculate and discuss the future of MMO. Because, who knows, that idea you had might be implemented into the game?

Anyway, this discussion was started on another forum, and seperate from Squenix official forums, so I thought I should bring it here. Get a little break from Early Access codes not working and such things.

I personally hope there will be possible to breed chocobos in different colors and with different travel speed. Not only that, but I also hope we will then be able to sell those chocobos. Might not earn much Gil on it, but would certainly be another fun part of the game. :)

And remember, this is not a topic for suggestions to the developers. Just a topic where we all can speculate and discuss stuff that probably will be a part of the game longer down the road. Or probably not. Have fun. :)

Onimenokyo
22nd Aug 2013, 09:23
Hope this version lives long enough to platinum on the ps3 ^^

SirCrush
22nd Aug 2013, 09:38
Good topic :)

I'd personally like to see the following cameos:
Golbeze, Dark Knight AND Paladin Cecil, Kain, Balthier, Fran, Vivi, and any and all characters from FF6 and 7 :D

A few Jobs or Classes I'd like to see:
Thief, Ninja, Samarai, Red and Blue Mage, Time Mage, and perhaps an upgrade to Marauder (Buccaneer maybe?)

Since they are planning on doing crossover, why not include Sentinel, Synergist, Saboteur, Commando, Ravager, and Medic as playable jobs? I always thought those were brilliant ideas for paradigm names and specialties and actually kind of hoped SE went with that 6 pronged approach to combat. Would REALLY set this game apart. But, as it is the standard Tank/DPS/Healer structure is in place but I think those "Jobs" could find a home and still manage to be uniquely their own based in that structure. FFXIII doesn't get enough props for what it did. :p

But most of all, since I am really into the Limsa Lominsa pirate lore:
* An island set of zones that favors treasure, pirates, witches, jungles, you name it as far as stereotypical pirate stuff, I want it! And a good backstory or sidestory along with it.
* Would be REALLY cool to have on-boat sequences similar to the LL opening sequence but with the ability to move around and converse while on the ship. Perhaps a quest where you can become a "first mate" or other ship officer.

Wouldn't mind seeing a Black Mage Village or Mysidia.

GoldX18
22nd Aug 2013, 11:48
Trying to not be negative, and this is something they could improve on, is more skills (combat/buffs). There are so few skills from 1-50.

Edit: And I second breeding chocobo's, having chocobo stables, and chocobo races like in FFVII YAY:D

Darklordkjell
22nd Aug 2013, 12:00
Trying to not be negative, and this is something they could improve on, is more skills (combat/buffs). There are so few skills from 1-50.

Edit: And I second breeding chocobo's, having chocobo stables, and chocobo races like in FFVII YAY:D

Chocobo races would be an awesome addition to the game! :D
Oh, by negativity I meant by not bashing the game or by any means make the game look bad. ;) Besides that keeping the errors out fo the picture.

Another thing that I think would be cool addition: Airships, I guess that is the only way of travel between citites, besides the crystal-thing. :P Well, I think it would be cool that evey month, a guild can lay claim on one of the airships. On-board they may also add a store from there they can sell stuff which would be split evenely across all guild-members that has contributed to the store. Each travel would last maximum 5 minutes. Or better yet, act as a instance so that the player can transport directly to the city if they decide so. :)

BIG EDIT: If anyone can and who has access to the new FF14:ARR forum, would it be possible if one of you could bring this topic over there? ^^ IF there is a sub-forum for such topics.:p Read it will be very strict forum. :p

Falconreaver
22nd Aug 2013, 12:02
[QUOTE=GoldX18;54727]Trying to not be negative, and this is something they could improve on, is more skills (combat/buffs). There are so few skills from 1-50.

You get more skills when you choose your job like bard, WHM, summoner. Also you can choose skills/spells from other classes, think at lvl 50 you can have around 5/6 spells from there classes. At level 13 my archer has heal and could have a 2nd spell if my conjurer class was at a higher level.

I would also like to see the Dark Knight class as well along with the chocobo breeding for different colours.

SinisJecht
22nd Aug 2013, 12:13
Great ideas so far, really good to read what others think.

My idea is more pointing at end game. If you ever played FFX you would be familiar with the monster arena, I would love to see this implemented in some fashion. Maybe after completing certain raids you unlock a monster in the arena, extremely difficult and would require time and wipe after wipe to master it. Anyone who manages to defeat the monster would be given a unique weapon based on class and role as testament to their skill in that role.

Of course the details would require a lot of thought and rewards should vary but these are just ideas. Another mini game I would like to see is the card game from FF viii I really enjoyed that.

Roguekitty
23rd Aug 2013, 22:38
I haven't ever played FFXIV 1.0 or FFXI so the whole thing will be new for me. :)
One thing I'm probably going to want to see is more options for healers. I like when I'm able to pick different styles of healing, and FFXIV has only 1. Of course, I don't know how much variety that 1 class will have, I'll have to see. :)
I just know that having more options for tanks and healers will cause more people to do those roles. My roommate usually tanks on all the MMOs he plays, but he said he's not looking forward to tanking on FFXIV because he doesn't like the only tanking class.

warkevsan
23rd Aug 2013, 22:48
My roommate usually tanks on all the MMOs he plays, but he said he's not looking forward to tanking on FFXIV because he doesn't like the only tanking class.
gladiator,maurador are the starting tank rolls. then you can unlock paladin later on not sure what "monk and warrior" will be.
as far as healing conjurer is it till white mage and shcolar are unlocked and i belive bard can heal aswell

TerakAlonia
23rd Aug 2013, 23:08
Considering that Lightning is coming, this places Lightning's world in the same universe as Eorzea. This is significant as Lightning's world has links to the Void, high tech societies, time travel, and possibly other Final Fantasy worlds. This means parallel sites (servers) could be brought up in the future so that you could time travel/space travel to just about anywhere. These new Worlds could have the alternate physics and technology or other Final Fantasy worlds and even crossover into Kingdom Hearts or Star Ocean. Basically, anything is possible. Instead of battling Void Sent with fireballs, we could whack them with Keyblades... LOL

Now I don't expect SE to go this far in 20 years, but I do expect something very close to this where you can time travel to high tech cities, board space ships, travel in Steampunk vehicles and set up housekeeping in travelling zepplins and rocket ships. Some of these worlds could be just for hard core "make it so hard I bleed" gamers.

I thoroughly expect many old Final Fantasy characters to show up in the future.

SinisJecht
23rd Aug 2013, 23:11
I'm sure I read some where that the devs have a big surprise for launch day? what could this be? hmmmm

Adventfire
23rd Aug 2013, 23:28
I'm agreeing with a lot of what others have said about what they'd like added but I'd like to see a couple just for fun classes like Onion Knight and Mime, heh. I came in at beta phase 4 had not played FFXIV 1.0 but I've played every other FF game (well okay not FFXI either) and as I played through the beta I saw so many nods to the old school FF games I was immediately sold on FFXIV: ARR. Materia (which I thought should have been used in other FF games), magitek mechs, moogles! and so much more!

Roguekitty
24th Aug 2013, 00:29
gladiator,maurador are the starting tank rolls. then you can unlock paladin later on not sure what "monk and warrior" will be.
as far as healing conjurer is it till white mage and shcolar are unlocked and i belive bard can heal aswell

Well I was considering Conjurer and White mage, and then Gladiator and Paladin to be the same things, essentially. I was under the impression that marauder, monk, and warrior were just melee dps classes? And I thought Scholar and Bard have a few heals, but they're mainly a support/DPS class. At least that's what all the info I've found so far have been saying.

Wikkr1
11th Sep 2013, 20:47
Ok so they released the game and it was more popular then they expected. The servers were overwhelmed and they closed down digital sales and stopped releasing new hardcopies to the retailers. They then announced a hardware upgrade to address the server problems which was completed last week.

Since then restrictions still haven't been lifted regarding character creation, instead they seem to randomly switch char creation on and off on different servers throughout the day presumably based on the amounts logged on at that time.

At no time since these measures began has there been a statement made to update the rest of the fanbase unable to get a copy as to when these measures will be lifted.

What exactly is their plan here? only allow a set number of players in and just milk them till they start to leave? did they only upgrade the servers to stabilize the numbers they already had? What sort of business model are they following where they actively block potential customers from purchasing their products? Ive never studied economics but I cant for the life of me work out how its good to sit back and do nothing while potential customers are left out in the cold.

leoxastaroth
11th Sep 2013, 21:07
I was pondering the exact same thing today hah, honestly I don't know what it says about Square Enix when they act like this, on one hand you could say "Oh my how ethical and how nice of you to focus on improving stuff only for current players and not allow new ones in!" on the other hand you gotta think "What sort of irresponsible company would actively deny new customers and profit in hopes they will 'come back in the future'" the 'potential' customers...well speaking for myself personally, the ONLY reason I have not gone out and spent the money I saved for FFXIV is simply because my friend who is playing the game keeps pleading with me to hang on, but even that will soon enough reach its limits, 3-4 weeks in to release without new players being allowed in...right...Sorry Square Enix I don't want to play your MMO only once everyone else is bored of it and have moved on, already set a deadline, if I can't play by Monday, then bye bye SE.

Gomly1980
11th Sep 2013, 21:39
As with all MMO's, the player base will likely drop a percentage once the "free" game time runs out. All MMO's have suffered a dip after that first month.

On the one hand, I can see Squares reluctance to flood more people in and open a load more servers that, after that free month, won't be needed. On the other hand I can see how frustrating it is for people unable to get into the game or even purchase it.

Wikkr1
12th Sep 2013, 09:20
the main thing gomly is the complete lack of acknowledgment. If that is what they are doing then fine they can fill their boots. but if the digital sales were gonna be down for a month they could at least tell us that.

The first week I was checking every few hours to see if the digital sales were back. now I limit myself to once a day. If I knew it wasn't going to be back before a certain date I could put it out of my mind and chill out with other stuff to keep me occupied. Without that knowledge its always niggling at the back of my mind 'is it up yet', 'what if its just come up', 'what if it comes up while im out' and so on and so on.

Gomly1980
12th Sep 2013, 09:40
I will have to agree with you Wikkr.

The communication from Square has been absolutely terrible. They do need to get on top of that and fast.

TheRealKraggy
12th Sep 2013, 10:52
What exactly is their plan here?
Yoshi's latest post here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/88643-Further-Server-and-System-Improvements-Part-2?p=1247254#post1247254

For Hippy's benefit ;) ...

Further Server and System Improvements, Part 2

In this post I would like to update you on the progress seen since extended maintenance completed on September 12th—including the implementation of a third duty finder group and the addition of new Worlds—and discuss how we plan to tackle server and system congestion moving forward.

- Resumption of Digital Game Sales

In the most recent phase of improvements, we have focused on expanding server capacity along with adding additional Worlds and instance servers to increase the total number of players that can access the game.

This weekend, we will be monitoring server stability, keeping a close eye on the number of simultaneous logins, instances, and use of the duty finder. If all goes well, we plan to resume digital sales for each region.

- New Worlds

With the addition of a third duty finder group and the upgrades to instance servers, we are confident that the addition of new Worlds will proceed more smoothly than in the past (although the actual integration of new servers takes some time). From October onwards, we will continue to monitor the growth of the player base and expand operations as needed.

- Overcrowded Worlds and the World Transfer Service

Even with the previously discussed measures in place, there remain several overpopulated worlds that may still be subject to peak-time login and character creation restrictions.

Adjustments to the servers have greatly increased the allowed number of simultaneous logins per World, but this particular strategy has reached its limit..

Each World consists of multiple zones (with an area such as “eastern La Noscea” comprising one zone), and allowing a greater number of players to log in to a World could potentially see a single zone become overcrowded, resulting in unacceptable lag and other issues that would negatively impact gameplay.

Login restrictions were introduced to avoid these situations, and, as might be expected, players on highly populated Worlds encounter these restrictions more often than others.

Our next phase of improvements will seek to address this issue in the following manner:

1. Monitor simultaneous login numbers and relax restrictions where possible.
2. Commence World transfer service.

Initially, players on all Worlds experienced frequent login restrictions, and this naturally encouraged the mindset of “if I log out, I might not be able to log back in.”

From this point forward, however, with the upgrades made to server capacity and the introduction of an automatic logout feature, we can expect congestion issues to gradually improve. Promising trends have already been seen with the NA/EU data centers since the September 4th maintenance, and it shouldn’t be long before a similar improvement is seen with the JP data center as well.
We will continue to carefully monitor the number of logins, and ease restrictions as the situation improves.

For Worlds that remain crowded despite these measures, and for those players who have been unable to create characters on their desired Worlds due to congestion, we will be introducing a World transfer service. Please keep in mind, however, that if you choose to move to a highly populated World, you are more likely to encounter the login restrictions described above─choosing to transfer to a less-populated World may prove to be the best choice for your gameplay experience.

The development team is currently testing this service extensively to ensure that the transfer of character data will be safe and secure.

Though there is still some work to be done, we hope to bring you an announcement regarding the availability of World transfers in the very near future.

- Login Queues and Error 1017

We’ve received a great deal of feedback and questions regarding the mechanics behind the login queue, and the error code that is displayed when login restrictions are in place. Along with the impending World transfer service and continued improvements to our infrastructure, we expect that the measures we have taken will resolve many of these issues. To help clear up some of the confusion, however, here is an explanation of how the login queue system works.

The difference between being placed in a queue or instantly receiving the 1017 error lies in whether or not the World you are attempting to log in to is currently undergoing login restrictions.

The server that processes player logins to each World is known as the “lobby server.” The lobby server is comprised of multiple machines that are capable of processing over 100,000 simultaneous logins to FFXIV: ARR.

Directly following a maintenance period, however, the number of simultaneous logins might reach several hundred thousand. Without login restrictions in place, the flood of requests would crash the lobby server, preventing everyone from logging in to the game.
In order to avoid this scenario, the lobby server is designed to employ a queue system when faced with an extreme number of login requests. Each request is processed in the order it was received, rather than simultaneously, allowing for a stable─albeit slower─login environment.

When a player is placed in the queue, a connection known as a “session” is created between the lobby server and the character with which the player is attempting to log in. Character sessions are rechecked approximately every thirty seconds to one minute, at which time queue numbers are updated and players are logged into the game. The frequency of session checks has been set at this pace to once again avoid placing excessive stress on the lobby server.

In the case that the World the player is attempting to connect to is currently undergoing login restrictions, however, no lobby server session is created, and the system will instead display Error 1017. Restrictions may remain in place for as little as one minute to as long as several hours depending on fluctuations in the player population already logged into the World.

A large number of logouts will result in the immediate removal of restrictions, but at peak times such as weekends, players tend to remain logged in for extended periods. We are constantly monitoring character logins for each world, and implementing or lifting restrictions as the situation demands.

Were we to continue to accept login queue requests regardless of population, the queues for each World would grow from several hundred to several thousand, with tens of thousands of players waiting to log in across all Worlds. If the session connections described above were created for every single one of these characters, the lobby server would eventually be overwhelmed.

A lobby server error could potentially reset queues, which would cause even greater frustration to players who had already been waiting to log in for several hours. This is the reasoning behind why players attempting to enter a World experiencing login restrictions─the duration of which cannot be predicted─receive an error display instead of being placed in a queue.

Heavily populated Worlds may still experience congestion during peak times, but with the upgrades made to concurrent connection capacity, the addition of new Worlds, and the introduction of the World transfer service and an automatic logout feature, we believe the general login situation will steadily improve as time goes on.

Once more, I wish to express my deepest apologies for the inconvenience our players have been experiencing since launch, and assure you that the development and operation teams are doing their utmost to implement measures that ensure a stable and enjoyable playing environment.

TheRealKraggy
12th Sep 2013, 10:54
The communication from Square has been absolutely terrible.
Not true, they've kept us informed of the actions they're taking, I just quoted the third or fourth such post since the serious problems started happening after launch.

Their actions haven't necessarily been successful, clearly last week's addition of a single server per region was crass, but Yoshi posted very detailed explanations of the reasons why the problems were occurring and what SE was planning to do about them.

It's totally untrue to say they haven't been 'communicating', YOU haven't been reading.

Gomly1980
12th Sep 2013, 11:20
Not true, they've kept us informed of the actions they're taking, I just quoted the third or fourth such post since the serious problems started happening after launch.

Their actions haven't necessarily been successful, clearly last week's addition of a single server per region was crass, but Yoshi posted very detailed explanations of the reasons why the problems were occurring and what SE was planning to do about them.

It's totally untrue to say they haven't been 'communicating', YOU haven't been reading.

I was referring to news about digital sales.

Sales were halted on the 28th of August and no news came about until today.

2 weeks.

So yes, I have been reading but for 2 weeks there was no news on that issue.

Now i'm not a "hater" as you put in another post but i'm not a fan either. I'm the average Joe. I'm not looking to make Square look bad but they left it for 2 weeks with no information about that so tell me it's untrue and I haven't been reading all you like ..... I can't read what wasn't there.

TheRealKraggy
12th Sep 2013, 12:01
I was referring to news about digital sales.

Sales were halted on the 28th of August and no news came about until today.

2 weeks.

So yes, I have been reading but for 2 weeks there was no news on that issue.
So their silence clearly implied they weren't in a position to say when they'd resume, is that hard to understand? They had explained why they had disabled the downloads and it was plain to all and sundry that the small changes last week hadn't changed a thing.

What do you expect them to do, post something every couple of days saying "we are unable to say yet when we will resume"?

Why do people insist on being told regularly "there is no news" and then complain when they don't get that? Yes, I can imagine it's frustrating but demanding incessant 'no news' posts is what kids do when a parent says 'soon'.

Gomly1980
12th Sep 2013, 12:39
I've already got the game, frankly I have no interest in what news they do or don't put up but quite a lot of people do it seems.

And yes, they gave reasons as to why it stopped but should have been clear it was indefinitely.

While it was clear to us that are playing the issues of full servers hasn't been fully sorted it isn't exactly clear to those that can't get hold of the game let alone play.

Any news I see is from the launcher, I don't need to go hunting for it. People that don't have the game do not have that luxury so if nothing is said then they don't know what is going on do they?

We can argue this until the cows come home it's going to get us nowhere. In people's opinions Square isn't doing very well with communication, I happen to agree ... You don't. What we have is a difference of opinion and neither of us are going to change the others mind.

Hippy_Pickle
12th Sep 2013, 13:23
For Hippy's benefit ;) ...

Well thank you kind sir but I can view Lodestone forum posts, it's just the Lodestone front end bit that's blocked (or character profile section) :D