PDA

View Full Version : Thief gold dont work on xp

coldplay_josh_106
12th Apr 2004, 12:57
I'm trying to install my copy of thief gold on windows xp but wen the setup starts a message comes up saying...cannot install due to direct X not being compatable with windows NT or somthing.

newayz can anybody help out?

coldplay_josh_106
12th Apr 2004, 15:12
never mind folks its sorted!!! Thanx for the help!

Dziarsky
6th May 2004, 18:59
I have the same problem :/

T-Gold is not being compatable with windows NT or somthing

Please...help!!!!!

bravus
6th May 2004, 19:15
Hi Dziarsky

This is a common question, and fortunately the solution is very simple. The problem arises because Thief Gold 'sees' XP as Windows NT, a much older operating system, that didn't include DirectX. So it says it can't install because you won't have DirectX to run the game. Of course, XP *does* have DirectX. Fortunately, the makers foresaw this problem. Put the Thief CD in, but cancel out of the startup screen. Now click on 'Run...' in the Start menu and type 'cmd' and hit enter. This will open up a command dialog window. Type 'D:' (no quotes) if your cd drive is drive D (or adjust accordingly). Then type 'setup.exe -lgntforce' (no quotes). The first letter after the minus sign is a lowercase L, not an uppercase I or a number 1! The -lgntforce tells the software to ignore the fact that it thinks it's seeing NT.

Hope that helps,

Bravus

Dziarsky
6th May 2004, 19:37
My english is very bad :(
I have already screen with E:\> (E its letter of my cd :)
What i must tape now? i dont understand word "lgntforce" -i must type this word?
write me all words what i must type please :)

Stile451
6th May 2004, 20:33
Bravus, why the extra step?

Open the start menu and click on Run... and enter

E:\setup.exe -lgntforce

or better yet copy and paste it and press the OK button. The setup should work normally, then.

bravus
6th May 2004, 21:27
Yeah, after I wrote it I wondered whether it would even work that way. Dziarsky, you should type exactly what Salvage typed in bold text above:

E:\setup.exe -lgntforce

'lgntforce' is not an English word, it's a computer command.

Stile451
7th May 2004, 03:44
FYI, lgntforce is short for Looking Glass (Windows) NT Force (Install).

Dziarsky
7th May 2004, 11:51
Its working!!!
thank you very much everybody!!!:p

Fafhrd
23rd May 2004, 21:02
now this is odd:

I haven't actually installed TG since I had upgraded my machine to win2k, and I just dug it out to install it.

it flat out ignores the -lgntforce command and still gives me the "cannot install" error.

T2 installs fine though.

has anyone else had this happen?

as a potential workaround, I have a win98 partition - I wonder if I can install it under 98 and run under 2k - I'll have to try that...

Stile451
23rd May 2004, 21:37
Yeah, that will work, faf. I've done it before.

Fafhrd
23rd May 2004, 21:57
fixed it without going down to 98.

I read through ALL the thread, and, in my case at least, you MUST run setup through the command line like Bravus first said.

now, I may just be stupid, but I don't see why it matters one way or another, so I'll just chalk it up to "its windoze, what do you want?"