PDA

View Full Version : Sound Problems

John D.
11th Apr 2004, 20:27
I'm at my grandmother's house right now, and she seems to have another problem with her computer. The sound doesnt work. After making sure her speakers are hooked up, I checked in control panel and found in the device manager that the Mpu-401 midi device and Standard game port both have a exclamation point by them, meaning they are in conflict. The Mpu401 says it has a code 10 problem-meaning it cant start and the Standard game port gives a code 12 error-saying that it doesnt have enough free resources it can use.

Here's where it gets weird, on the device manager it says there is another Standard game port, this one works just fine. And I found another strange thing, when I first began I went to the speaker volume settings in control panel because the speaker icon had disappeared off the control panel. When I clicked on the setting 'place volume icon on taskbar' it gave me an error message saying that the Volume Control had not been installed and to use the add programs function to do it. I cant find her installation disks anywhere so I wanted to see if there was somewhere I could download this from, perhaps this would also resolve the first problems I mentioned.

Honestly I dont know how this got so screwed up. She said that her anti-virus program had listed some files as infected and she deleted them all, so I think that is the source of the problem.:(

Stile451
11th Apr 2004, 22:25
Download the latest sound drivers for the sound and install them. That should fix the problem.

If that fails the files may be quarantined so check there to see what files were removed.

John D.
12th Apr 2004, 00:36
I just got back home and saw the message, I'll try that this weekend when I go back to her place.

John D.
25th Apr 2004, 14:45
Just found the source of the problem, apparently the speakers were partially unplugged when she moved the system earlier, looks like everything's working again!:rolleyes:

Vanguard
26th Apr 2004, 23:06
Don't fret the mistake. We all make boners.

Had a guy that installed a new AGP video card to replace the onboard video. No matter what he did, the onboard video would return in Device Manager and he couldn't get the monitor to display better video quality. He was still plugging the monitor into the backpanel motherboard connector for the onboard video instead of plugging it into his new video card. Zen cabling doesn't work with electronics.

Had a buddy that I consider on near par to me regarding computer expertise who couldn't get his new AGP video card to work. A PCI video card would work. He sent it in for repair but they found no problem. Still didn't work when he got it back. Eventually he brought it into work to use a lab resources. I had heard about his tribulations for over a month and decided to stop by. Ten seconds later I had his computer working with the AGP card. He didn't realize that you have to push harder to insert an AGP card to get it past the second indent in the slot.

Neighbor asked me over to check why they couldn't get any sound from their speakers. Don't remember all of what the neighbor did but it was a lot. No volume was the problem. Plugged in heaphones and sounded fine. Plugged the speakers into their stereo (using 1/8-to-1/4 inch adapter of mine) and they worked - after I turned up the volume knob on the speakers.

Built a computer for my sister and shipped it to her. In a month it was dead. Her kiddies were shoving pennies into it as though it were a piggy bank.

Dad had 2 computers. Each had its own keyboard, mouse, and monitor. He called me over to say that his keyboard wasn't working anymore. Yep, you got it, he was typing on the wrong keyboard.

Me? Nope, never pulled a boner yet. I'm known as Mr. Perfect. and by several other names, too. ;) Like my Dad said, "There's only 2 types of perfect people in this world: Perfect as<i></i>ses and perfect idiots." I'm not an idiot. Of course, when he'd say, "What kind of idiot do you think I am?", I loved responding, "Too many choices, too little time." :)