PDA

View Full Version : Look what game made the list.

Whatz His Name
8th Apr 2004, 16:44
C-Net has come out with lists of the top ten "must have" games for most of the consoles and PC. Go here (http://msn-cnet.com.com/4520-3423_7-1009399-2.html?tag=txt) to see a surprising game that made the PC list. Having not played it myself, all I know about it is that a lot of people in this forum has complained about it. I have heard so many people complain that I have come to believe it is the general consensus.

LeatherMan
8th Apr 2004, 17:49
How goofy is that list? It looks as if the only thing they did to compile the list is to use the current top selling games and place them in random order. The fact that "The Simpsons: Hit & Run" got an honorable mention basically confirms my suspicion. What a joke. :rolleyes:

bravus
8th Apr 2004, 17:59
I've asked for DX:IW for my birthday (tomorrow), so I'll play it somewhat over this coming long weekend and report back. I love new first person games with stories, even if they're somewhat flawed, and apparently the patch fixes a lot of the more major complaints, so I'm definitely going to give it a try. I seldom listen to what 'everybody' says about a game - I'd rather play it myself and make up my own mind. Unreal 2, for example, had its flaws, but I enjoyed playing it, and will play it again. And DX:IW will have much more replayability and be much less linear than that.

Stile451
8th Apr 2004, 19:16
I'm one of those people who likes the game.

There actually is a lot of gameplay in it, although not the 20 hours that we should be expecting from any single player game(about 15 hours not including reloads).

There is replayability to it though, especially if you try different playstyles(melee only, ghost, etc).

Lazarus
9th Apr 2004, 00:46
DX:IW made it and Counter-Strike didn't? What a rip. :(

Bravus: I seldom listen to what 'everybody' says about a game - I'd rather play it myself and make up my own mind.

I did that and bought Halo. I paid $45 for nothing. Since then, I've considered others opinions. Saves me money. :D

bravus
9th Apr 2004, 03:35
Well, I got DX:IW today, and have played for an hour or so tonight. I patched immediately, which I think helped a fair bit. There are still a couple of annoyances, but I think they might be fixable. It's reminding me of both Deus Ex and System Shock 2 at the moment, which is a good thing... More reports later.

Tin Star
9th Apr 2004, 06:58
I want some of what ever they were drinking when they made that list.

:cool: Tin Star

bravus
9th Apr 2004, 12:34
Well, the gameplay is fun, and the game looks great, and runs smooth at high detail settings on my machine. I'm still working on a few tweaks to make it more immersive - anyone know how to ditch the yes/no confirmation screen between maps? - but more worrying is that it's taken to crashing every time there's a conversation: the protagonists just stand there staring at each other and moving their bodies occassionally, and CPU usage goes to 100%. I'll keep persevering (and yes, I have the v1.2 patch and all the latest drivers), but I'm afraid this is a piece of software with some problems. Most of the comments I'd read applied to gameplay and style issues that are largely fixable, but this kind of software brokenness I really hadn't expected.

Tin Star
9th Apr 2004, 13:42
When I played it I never down loaded the 1.2 patch,they didn't have it yet so I only down load the 1.1 patch and it seemed to work alright for me.

:cool: Tin Star

Stile451
9th Apr 2004, 14:53
Unfortunately, you can't turn off the yes no dialogue between maps.

Also unfortunately, the game is very buggy for some and not buggy at all for others.

My suggestion would be to try an alternate exe file. ;)

Fafhrd
10th Apr 2004, 12:36
I want some of what ever they were drinking when they made that list.

let me know when you get ahold of some :)

Seriously, while I know sports games have their place, its not on a general "must have" list - especially for pc games.

There actually is a lot of gameplay in it, although not the 20 hours that we should be expecting from any single player game(about 15 hours not including reloads).

I don't know, I usually expect more than 20, but I play a lot of RPGs that have at least 40.

did that and bought Halo. I paid $45 for nothing. Since then, I've considered others opinions. Saves me money.

Oddly enough, the last time I listened to other's opinions on a game, it was the one that sucked. I was inclined to buy the game anyway, but I've only met two other people that didn't like it (Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast).

I can smell stinkers without even opening shrinkwrap at this point in time, but I've played a LOT for video games than most people. Halo I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, especially after downloading the demo and seeing how flaky the controls were.

Guineapiggy
10th Apr 2004, 19:56
Can you spell a-d-v-e-r-t-i-s-i-n-g?

As for this:

This isn't Metal Gear Solid 3; that's a totally different game due later this year. The Twin Snakes is a faithful remake of 1998's original Metal Gear Solid, the PlayStation title that single-handedly created the "sneaking" genre.

Now try c-l-u-e-l-e-s-s. The first title in the Metal Gear series came out an entire DECADE before this, and whilst it wasn't quite the same as MGS the two were similarly divided in to puzzle, combat and backtracking through areas in an irritating fashion. As for 'single handedly creating the sneaking genre'... no comment.

Gumdrop
10th Apr 2004, 22:29
Yeah.... if I remember correctly, MGS & Thief were in production at the same time, so while MGS opened up sneakability to the console race, Thief was happily (and more grancefully IMHO) doing likewise to the PC headz.

Still... Monkey Island 5 didn't make the list?! :eek:

Oh... wait a minute. That's still at the (maybe) drawingdoard stange! :o

coldplay_josh_106
11th Apr 2004, 20:01
Still... Monkey Island 5 didn't make the list?!

is there a monkey island 5? or am i just being gullible?

LobsterCreature
11th Apr 2004, 21:14
If there is going to be monkey 5, PLEASE don't make it in 3d. I hate that in adventure games! (And by adventure games I mean good ol' sierra/lucasarts style games.)

-You fight like a dairy farmer...
-How appropriate, you fight like a ----- (what):D

Xcom
11th Apr 2004, 21:29
Originally posted by LobsterCreature
-How appropriate, you fight like a ----- (what):D

Lobster? :p

Btw, the Voodoo Lady did say she has a five game contract with LucasArts. Unfortunately, they've already cancelled two adventure projects: Full Throttle 2 and Sam & Max 2. :(

Stile451
11th Apr 2004, 22:34
They haven't said they cancelled Sam & Max, just postponed it.

What's so bad about 3d?

I haven't been able to get into the old 2d adventure games mostly because of the interface, which can't be fixed in a 2d environment.

LobsterCreature
11th Apr 2004, 22:35
I heard they shut the whole company that was making sam&max2 and some big boss in lucasarts said that there wouldn't be any graphical adventure games in "near" future. I guess this means lucasarts will be producing more Star Wars games...:mad:

Seems like the last good commercial adventure game was Monkey 3 or Blade Runner. It's a shame really that the whole genre is dying.

And guess again. It wasn't a lobster!

Xcom
11th Apr 2004, 22:49
Originally posted by Salvage
They haven't said they cancelled Sam & Max, just postponed it.

http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/85.html

They said they "stopped production". Somehow, this sounds more like cancelling rather than postponing.

Stile451
12th Apr 2004, 01:20
"Stopped production" doesn't mean "scrapped project". It only means they've put it up on the shelf until they want it again.

LobsterCreature
12th Apr 2004, 09:33
I hope you're right but i'm afraid it's just a "nice" way of saying: You're not going to see Sam&max2 in your lifetime, manfool!!

I on the other hand can't get used to these newer 3d adventure games and their intefaces. Probably because I played those 2d games before 3d games came and I think 3d somehow sucks the life out of adventure games. I don't know why but that's just the way i feel.

Stile451
12th Apr 2004, 15:36
You didn't like Grim Fandango?!?!?

Monkey Island 4 I'm told has a crappy story to it when compared to the others of the series. I don't think graphics can save any game with a crappy story.

LobsterCreature
12th Apr 2004, 17:06
Originally posted by Salvage
You didn't like Grim Fandango?!?!?

Monkey Island 4 I'm told has a crappy story to it when compared to the others of the series. I don't think graphics can save any game with a crappy story.

My friend actually bought Grim Fandango and praised it. It looked cool enough, but when I played it I lost interest quickly. It was actually too weird for me.

It seems to be like Monkey 1 was the best, then monkey 2 and so on. I'll never forget the 3-headed monkey...:D.

Have you played some of the classic 2d adventure games...Space Quest, Indiana Jones...? Maybe i'm just nostalgic, but those games were better than current adventure games.