PDA

View Full Version : Useless Information

Whatz His Name
6th Apr 2004, 12:20
Three Disastrous Promotions:

1) The Dairy Association took their "Got Milk?" campaign to Mexico and translated the slogan into Spanish. Unfortunately, it came out as "Are you lactating?"

2) When Johnson Wax introduced their Pledge furniture cleaner in the Netherlands, they didn't know that, in Dutch, "pledge" means "piss".

3) When Gerber Baby Food used the same packaging strategy in Africa that they used in America (a picture of the Gerber Baby in the label), they apparently didn't realize that since many Africans can't read, it's standard practice to put pictures of the contents on jar labels.

van_HellSing PL
6th Apr 2004, 12:27
no.3 is an urban legend. Don't know about the other two.

Rommel_1891
6th Apr 2004, 13:37
I could see no 1 happening... remember the Chevy Nova in Mexico?

I don't know about no 2, I would put that in the realm of possible as well. ;)

Optik45
6th Apr 2004, 14:21
You know what always baffled me, The nursery rhyme Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall...... Yada lada da. In that rhyme there is no reference to Humpty Being an Egg. How the heck did he become depicted as an egg? After much debated in our office at work I finally did some research.

Humpty Dumpty was not an egg at all; nor was he an English king as people frequently believe. Humpty Dumpty was the nickname for a huge wooden battering ram built for the army of King Charles I in the mid-1600s to roll down a slope, across the River Severn, and up against the walls of Gloucester. During England's Civil War Gloucester was held by Oliver Cromwell and his Roundheads. While Charles' army was busy building the "Humpty Dumpty" the Roundheads were secretly widening the river. Thus Humpty Dumpty was wrecked in midstream, "had a great fall", and toppled into the water, drowning hundreds of soldiers--and there was nothing all the king's men could do about it.

Interesting huh?

Thats just my peice of useless information.

Mr. Perfect
6th Apr 2004, 17:54
Originally posted by Rommel_1891
remember the Chevy Nova in Mexico?

Not really, what happened?

bravus
6th Apr 2004, 18:15
It's just that 'no va' is Spanish for 'doesn't go'... ;)

On a similar note, Mitsubishi makes an SUV called the 'Pajero', which is allegedly Spanish slang for 'wanker'... woohoo, truth in advertising at last!

van_HellSing PL
6th Apr 2004, 19:36
remember the Chevy Nova in Mexico? Yup: http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp :p

Lazarus
7th Apr 2004, 22:17
Originally posted by Whatz His Name
Three Disastrous Promotions:

Yup.. totally useless. :D