PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitors???

davypi2
5th Apr 2004, 04:48
I recently had to reinstall Windows and therefore Startopia and therefore the 1.01b patch. For the first time I actually browsed through the readme file and noticed the following..

NEW: Multimonitor support (new "device" box in the Video options screen

Does this mean you can have the game running on both monitors? Has anybody here tried this yet? If so, how does it work?

I have a dual monitor setup, but the second video card is a cheap 2MB PCI card that wouldn't go, but if this game will do to monitors I'll go buy a better card.

Davy

Phat Dr Robeatnik
5th Apr 2004, 10:36
I've never done it, and I don't know anyone that has.. But you can be the first!

I suppose the second monitor would just be an extension to the desktop. So nothing radical there.

Y'know most recent video cards come with a VGa and a DVI port at the back, are you sure your better card can't support both the monitors?

DMA57361
5th Apr 2004, 19:38
. . .

Oooo, another monitor . . . that'd be interesting . . .

Possibly it lets you select which monitor to play the game on?
If I can convince dad to lend me his composite cables and composite->scart adapter I'll hook up my 14in TV and see what it can do!

(I've done that before in "clone" mode, so it was on both screens but that's nothing special)

EDIT:
Nevermind, the adapter for the output on my vid card itself is actually in my Bag-of-Useful-Parts™, which unfortunatly I left in my university home, opps.

Spero
5th Apr 2004, 22:07
Planet Quake (I think) has a tutorial on how to hook up three monitors to your computer and kick some alien ass one hundred and eighty degree style. I can only imagine how StarTopia would feel with such a view, and how much more damn cooler Mech Warrior 4 would seem as well.

DMA57361
6th Apr 2004, 09:41
You played (I think it's called) X2: The Threat? My mate has a dual (CRT and TFT) setup and the game, with a patch I think he said, actually supports multimonitors well - It uses extra monitors to display 4 additional cameras on each (I think it'll run upto three screens). So you can have them cameras looking out of your gun turrets, or an external cam for your target or your ship, etc.

Pretty sweet looking, and almost useful!

Mucky Foot
12th Apr 2004, 16:29
Startopia will run on any of the monitors you want, but only one at a time. Sorry - the code to support running on two monitors at the same time is very tricky. The multimon support was because some people have a nice monitor and also a small monitor, and Startopia would start up on the small one and not be able to move. So at least with the patch they can switch it to the big one.

TomF.

DMA57361
16th Apr 2004, 12:35
With the exclusion of X2 mentioned above . . . I can't think of any games that will play onto more than one monitor (out of the box / patched - I know some will with some trickery).

Even this is a step above most games, and this kind of thing is bound to be appricatied by those with more screens.