PDA

View Full Version : Thief 2 not working on an XP

Morpheus445
3rd Apr 2004, 00:26
I have windows XP, and my friend just gave me thief 2 as a bday present. However, it's not working, I installed it and I'm getting
ERROR: buff len of 80 exceeded by 80: intro.avi
Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? I was really hoping to play it tonight...

Old Man
3rd Apr 2004, 01:47
There's the hyperthreading problem. Ctrl-Alt-Del->Processes, right click on the Thief process. Click on Set Affinity. If both processors are checked, click on one to uncheck it. Only works with a single processor.

Otherwise, try playing around with the compatibilty settings for the program. Mine works without this but there seems to be some variance with other XP systems. Windows Explorer to your main Thief II folder. Thief2.exe should be there. Right click it. Select Properties. There should be a compatibility tab there. Just try different settings. Windows 2000 works for my Thief Gold.

Otherwise, update the display drivers? Oh, unless they're NVidia then the most recent ones 53.? or something like that don't work. You'll need to put the display drivers back to 4x or something.

There's a couple of threads with the XP stuff. Do a search on the Thief forums and there may be some other tips there.

That blows my wad.

Luck.

Morpheus445
3rd Apr 2004, 23:17
All right, I did some sleuthing of my own and found out the problem. It's odd, but because Thief 2 was made with semi-old technology evidently the extension of the folder needs to be smaller then 80 characters. So, I just reinstalled it in C:Programs/Thief 2 etc. and it works prefectly now. Just make sure the extension is small!

Daddy0h
4th Apr 2004, 02:00
I am playing on XP also and I have a peculiar situation. The sounds created by the AI characters are not very loud. I have to set my voulume quite high to hear the guards and that makes Garret's sounds too loud. I tried messing with the sliders in the program but to no avail. Also, I cannot get out of the 60 MHz refresh rate that XP has me locked in. Any hacks on how to chanlge that?
Thanks and may your pickings be pentiful

SNAKE-LORD
9th Apr 2004, 07:12
Originally posted by Daddy0h
#1 The sounds created by the AI characters are not very loud. I have to set my voulume quite high to hear the guards and that makes Garret's sounds too loud.
#2 Also, I cannot get out of the 60 MHz refresh rate that XP has me locked in. Any hacks on how to chanlge that?
Thanks and may your pickings be pentiful

#1 try adjusting your puters sound then go back to game that might be the situation.
#2 update sound card & driver if you can.
please note some better quality sound cards will adjust for XP refresh rate.