PDA

View Full Version : FFXIV: Voice Chat

Maighdlin
21st Aug 2013, 19:38
Does anyone know how voice communication will work in FFXIV?

My friends and I will be playing across platforms and normally, if it were just PC, we would use Mumble or Skype for voice communication. However, with this game some of us will be on PS3. Does anyone know whether or not any form of voice communication will be active in the game itself or is there a cross-platform application that can be used while playing?

Trex341
21st Aug 2013, 19:41
Does anyone know how voice communication will work in FFXIV?

My friends and I will be playing across platforms and normally, if it were just PC, we would use Mumble or Skype for voice communication. However, with this game some of us will be on PS3. Does anyone know whether or not any form of voice communication will be active in the game itself or is there a cross-platform application that can be used while playing?

As far as I know voice chat is not supported by FFXIV ps3 or pc

Maighdlin
21st Aug 2013, 19:44
As far as I know voice chat is not supported by FFXIV ps3 or pc

Boo. I guess we'll just figure it out then. I hope they plan to introduce such a feature soon. It will making raiding and such much easier.

Hippy_Pickle
21st Aug 2013, 19:57
Just do what me and my friends used to do back in the day while playing some non voice chat games on the PC, we had a chat client running in the background so we could talk away :D

Mashr2010
21st Aug 2013, 20:01
As was stated, voice chat on PS3 is not supported, however you will be able to use third party programs no problem on PC. In the case of playing on both platforms, you'll either need a PC near you, or you can use a USB keyboard on the PS3. Typing isn't as fast as talking, but a keyboard is better than the PS3 default typing method.

Hippy_Pickle
21st Aug 2013, 20:04
Totally agree with you there Mashr, I was using my keyboard and a mouse for the beta on the PS3, so much easier. The keyboard for typing (I'll also look into macros and shortcuts later) and the mouse was a must for using the map. I found trying to get the map opened, zoom in/or and scroll terrible on the pad

xzanidu
21st Aug 2013, 20:07
i can see non ps3 player guilds / companys comeing unless they introduce a in game voice chat system . especialy hardcore guilds/companys who require it as a must beacuse those guilds/companys will definatly be using vent ts3 or some other 3rd party program to communicate during dungeons raids ect . im not a ps3 player myself but i thinks thers going to be a disatvantage to those who do play on ps3 .

Hippy_Pickle
21st Aug 2013, 20:09
This shouldn't be a problem with the PS4 version because the PS4 will have cross game chat like the 360 currently has, so would not be reliant on a in-game chat feature. Obviously that wont be until early next year though

Mashr2010
21st Aug 2013, 20:11
i can see non ps3 player guilds / companys comeing unless they introduce a in game voice chat system . especialy hardcore guilds/companys who require it as a must beacuse those guilds/companys will definatly be using vent ts3 or some other 3rd party program to communicate during dungeons raids ect . im not a ps3 player myself but i thinks thers going to be a disatvantage to those who do play on ps3 .

Unfortunately this is actually already the case, most of the hardcore Free Company's list needing some sort of voice chat as a must, even if you are just listening and not talking. There have been some pretty skilled PS3 players out there though that I saw wandering around during beta, the only real disadvantage they seem to have is the fact that they don't have voice chat, and it really is unfortunate that people think you need it so much.

karnyboy
21st Aug 2013, 20:44
NOt sure, but I just can't stand gaming anyway without a headset....What are we still in 1995?

Antonkyle
25th Sep 2013, 19:01
Why, oh why dose my toon not talk? It makes me feel that I'm dumb or a mute.

Why oh why is there no voices to all the chat? It makes the voice overs seem out of place when they do come.

and why have all the tool tips for limit breaks when I first enter the first instance. Come on, people don't want to wait for me to read the thing.

Other than that it's pretty good. I am slightly worried that PVP will not live up to expectations. What level can I enter pvp anyway?

Shamanbabe
25th Sep 2013, 22:27
If those things put the game down for you then you haven't seen the 2 endgame DF dungeons u have to do 545354 times to get a ring,
did i mention its manditory to have to pug to progress story chain into Hardmode titan/coil :(

jabbywocks
26th Sep 2013, 03:08
Voices in all the cut scenes = having to pay voice actors a lot more money. I'd rather not have any voice acting at all, honestly. These fake accents are killing me.

Having your char talk is probably the same issue. Taking all the voice options from the character creation screen and having each of those say the lines... I wish there were more dialog boxes where you choose a response to the npc. I like those.

Antonkyle
26th Sep 2013, 04:44
Voices in all the cut scenes = having to pay voice actors a lot more money. I'd rather not have any voice acting at all, honestly. These fake accents are killing me.

Having your char talk is probably the same issue. Taking all the voice options from the character creation screen and having each of those say the lines... I wish there were more dialog boxes where you choose a response to the npc. I like those.

I have no issue with reading. One or the other I say. I just think the change is odd.

Also I mean there is nothing to even read with the character. Just nodding of the head as if we should make it up or something. It breaks the story in my opinion. It's a minor thing though.

so far I think it's good, and it's been a while since I said that about a FF game, I had given up on them long ago until now.

TheRealKraggy
26th Sep 2013, 06:42
This game will go downhill once PVP starts, there'll be endless PVPer QQing about 'OP' classes, SE will nerf PVE to try to pander to the PVPer QQ and fail .. just go read the WOW, Rift or GW2 forums to see the mess that the XIV forums will become.

jabbywocks
26th Sep 2013, 07:56
I have no issue with reading. One or the other I say. I just think the change is odd.

Also I mean there is nothing to even read with the character. Just nodding of the head as if we should make it up or something. It breaks the story in my opinion. It's a minor thing though.

so far I think it's good, and it's been a while since I said that about a FF game, I had given up on them long ago until now.

It reminds me of playing Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross. Serge and Chrono never spoke a word but somehow ended up having these strong personalities. It doesn't quite work in this game though and I'm not sure why. Maybe cause your char just stands there with a stupefied look on their face half the time. And if you're wearing a helm that covers your face so you can't see any expression change that might happen, you really feel disengaged.

I know they have to make things a bit generic and "insert hero here" so everyone can follow the main storyline in the same way... I just really wish there were more dialog boxes cause those make me feel engaged in the story, not just along for the ride.

TetraAlchemist
10th Jun 2014, 07:38
In terms of discussing the possibility of voice chat across the platforms...it seems like a pretty simple issue and one I'm surprised no one has clued in on the in-game developer foreshadowing on how it will likely be accomplished in the coming updates. Considering the character settings across the platforms already have a "sync lips to chat" option, and the way they gave subtle yet grave emphasis on linkshells, i imagine they will be introducing voice chat as a linkshell option for individuals and parties. I also foresee something new like tying the voice chat system to the tell, say, yell radius system, but thats just wishful thinking on my part...it might be best relegated to linkshells for many obvious reasons. But i will bet gil to gashyl greens that voice chat is going to be introduced as a linkshell option first, and relatively soon id wager as well. Rockstar can do it with GTAV, Square can do it better with FFXIV.

Plus i have also noticed the slight apprehension in Square Enix's desire to go all PVP. Its been nice. I believe it has helped keep it about the story a little bit more. Which of course, if you are getting into Final Fantasy, and are a FF vet, its a good thing. FF didn't become famous as a PVP style game. It became famous as a place to escape to, and a story to immerse yourself in and where you met new, random people and became heros together. Now we are just one step further in the direction of doing it for real. PVP is still good, dont get me wrong. whats a game without a little competition and friendly rivalry ;) but i like that square has kept it a little more community oriented and cooperative. If you are a hardcore PK machine...maybe FF isnt the greatest place. theres many other awesome MMO titles that more specifically cater to that style and desire of play. unless youre trying to be a Sephiroth and have them make an Instance out of your character, lol

I also think the voice overs are a little...lacking in this release. they should have left em out all together. reading is fine, and theres no sense in having us choose our characters voice when they never actually say anything other than indiscernible cheers, whines or grunts, lol.