PDA

View Full Version : No Tomb Raider at E3

Trinity34
24th Mar 2004, 21:27
No Tomb Raider for E3.
by Patrick Garratt
24/03/2004

Eidos will not be showing the new, and as yet untitled, Tomb Raider game in Los Angeles at E3 this May, sources close to the company confirmed today.

The latest in the huge string of action games is currently in development at Crystal Dynamics, the firm behind the Legacy of Kain series, and while staffers have claimed to have the bare bones of the new game up and running internally there will be nothing to see on this year's show floor.

Eidos will instead centralise its Californian efforts this May 12 on explosive Platoon-alike Shellshock: Nam '67, and sneak-around-and-kill-athon, Thief: Deadly Shadows.

The seventh Tomb Raider game is currently listed for release in the middle of 2005. The franchise was unceremoniously torn from Core Design last year after a less than salubrious launch of the hilariously bug-ridden Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness, much to the chagrin of high flying brotherly duo Adrian and Jeremy Smith, who owned the developer, and have since departed to set up Circle Studio.

But while the code won't be on show in the mighty LA Convention Center, you can bet your Lara-loving ***** that the model with the mostest - currently Dutch lovely Jill de Jong - will be have her plastic-encased assets on full display. E3 wouldn't be E3 without them.

EuroGamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55016)

*sniff* :( :(

dhama
24th Mar 2004, 22:46
Originally posted by Trinity34
........The franchise was unceremoniously torn from Core Design last year after a less than salubrious launch of the hilariously bug-ridden Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness, much to the chagrin of high flying brotherly duo Adrian and Jeremy Smith, who owned the developer, and have since departed to set up Circle Studio.

But while the code won't be on show in the mighty LA Convention Center, you can bet your Lara-loving ***** that the model with the mostest - currently Dutch lovely Jill de Jong - will be have her plastic-encased assets on full display. E3 wouldn't be E3 without them.

I guess the author really does love himself... :rolleyes: I for one can do without unnecesary words.... why it makes me want to spit!!............

collver
25th Mar 2004, 15:51
Ahh edios is doin the secret act crap. I thought only nintendo did that. oh well looks like will just have to wait and see. GRRRRRRR

D3v1L80Y
25th Mar 2004, 20:32
I highly doubt that Eidos is pulling any "secret act crap". They simply don't have anything to show, therefore they will not be including Tomb Raider at E3. After the last release, I can understand if they are a bit gunshy when it comes to previewing or letting out any info on the latest TR endeavors too soon. I for one will wait patiently for as long as it takes. I would prefer that this time Eidos takes its time and gets it done right. I don't want to see them have another TR fiasco happen and have them release a game that is not fully completed and thoroughly tested first.

Katie_Fleming
25th Mar 2004, 20:59
You're right -- they *don't* have anything to show, all they have right now (that we know of) are some rough ideas for the game.

collver
25th Mar 2004, 21:34
yeah your right they really need to make sure there are'nt any more bugs in the new one. And give lara her dual pistols back in the ps2 version.

John Carter
26th Mar 2004, 00:09
The last sentence in the article probably isn't right, since they didn't have the Lara model at last year's for TRAOD's publicity.

Tipsko
29th Mar 2004, 08:48
They do have some material, if the releasedate is halfway next year, they sure have a lot of work to do!

jso2897
1st Apr 2004, 02:18
Well, I hope they don't rush it this time - I'd rather wait. AOD didn't measure up to a lot of people's expectations. I'm inclined to say at this point, the longer they take, the better.

total_inferno
1st Apr 2004, 02:27
didn't post in a while...

Black Angel
13th Apr 2004, 21:30
Originally posted by jso2897
Well, I hope they don't rush it this time - I'd rather wait. AOD didn't measure up to a lot of people's expectations. I'm inclined to say at this point, the longer they take, the better.

Then you'll probably be waiting until 2006, because I seriously doubt the ability of Crystal Dynamics to create any kind of decent usable product by the middle of 2005. I doubt Core Design would just give them all of the character models and AI specifications that were generated from scratch for Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. I doubt that Crystal Dynamics can create a suitable story line by this time next year. Lara's control system still needs to be updated to give her back some of the abilities that she possessed in Tomb Raider: Chronicles. Cases in point are Lara's rope swinging, and tight rope walking abilities. The reason that there was no Tomb Raider at E3 can mean only one of two things.

1. Crystal Dynamics is planning to postpone the game until 2006.

2. They are planning to release a sub-optimal sequel to Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness.

collver
14th Apr 2004, 15:08
I don't think any one but me's here. I'ts an old thread that I posted in back in march. Popped up so I checked it good info.