PDA

View Full Version : Using/Losing your religion - Oestre or Easter?

thiefessa
21st Mar 2004, 21:02
I hope this isn't too "wierd" a topic to discuss, but wondering whether there are any members who are 'pagan' rather than 'christian' - or indeed, any other religion other than Christian....if you still get my drift.

Will you be celebrating Oestre or Easter when you tuck into your chocolate eggs?

theBlackman
21st Mar 2004, 21:08
Many. We have Christians (nearly all denominations) Jews, Muslims, animists, Buddhists, Shintoists, anarchists, atheists, as well as Pagans and members of some more exotic "religions" who visit.

Most times, discussions on these lines are considered taboo, due to the somewhat antagonistic lines that develop when "Faith" is questioned by a member of a different orthodoxy.

thiefessa
21st Mar 2004, 21:17
Thanks BM, yes....I am sure it could be a rather sensitive subject for some members....and I am willing not to say anymore, or would be happy if you feel this topic should be removed.....?

I consider myself Pagan simply because I love 'nature and the cosmos' - which to me is easier to understand and appreciate above anything else.

theBlackman
21st Mar 2004, 21:24
I don't think the thread need be removed. But if you do, you can delete the thread.

As the first poster (thread initiator) if you delete the first entry the entire thread will vanish.

I am religious, but not a advocate of any particular faith. I have no problem with the belief of any, with the possible exception of those who advocate blood sacrifice of other humans. :D

Huntress
21st Mar 2004, 22:50
Oh darn Blackie...you just wiped out my on-going fued with the Hammers, Mechanists, Haunts, Zombies (with some limitations as they gave most of their blood already, LOL!) ;) I guess you could say I belong to the Evolutionist crowd :) Don't really believe too much in organized religion...some do good works no doubt but I'd rather help my family than put more money into Churchs, etc. That's about all I'll say on the subject :) Ta and Good Hunting!

BrokenArts
22nd Mar 2004, 13:33
This house hold celebrates the traditional Easter mass, followed by the consumption of the Chocolate Easter Bunny, the ears go first, so he doesn't hear himself scream when I bite off his ears.

Followed by carefully placing marshmellow peeps, (no specific color is neccessary, color of your choice really) in the microwave, choosing the appropriate time, and watching them expand beyond their recommended capacity, and oozing all over. Oh joy.http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Stuck.gif

Then dinner, (if there is room) come on over!http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Ready.gif

triniphen
22nd Mar 2004, 15:19
this shouldnt be a religious discussion but a nice synopsis of tasty easter treats. does anyone actually eat those peeps?

BrokenArts
22nd Mar 2004, 15:31
Hell yes I eat those peeps, truthfully they are best stale, open the package, let them sit around for a couple of days, damn fine eating.

As for the religious talks, they've been running in abundant lately on a few forums I visit. For the most part, the discussions are handled very well.

theBlackman
22nd Mar 2004, 16:57
<marquee> I LOVE PEEPS !</marquee>

thiefessa
22nd Mar 2004, 22:24
MMmmm, BA, those marshmallow things sound yummy...I am from the UK, so unfamiliar with the word 'peeps'. Why/how did they get this name? Also, my worst fear is that I think marshmallow has gelatine in it....can you confirm? If not, could I have the recipe for your peeps, I would love to try them!

theBlackman
22nd Mar 2004, 22:39
PEEPS are a unique American confection. They are Marshmallow, colored, shaped like chicks and rabbits and coated with coarse sugar.

I don't know if Marshmallows contain gelatine, but PEEPS RULE!

http://www.marshmallowpeeps.com/

thiefessa
24th Mar 2004, 07:45
They look pretty tasty, and imagine a whole website dedicated to them! I have had a look, but can't find a page detailing the ingredients....any chance you can take a peek at the box to see if gelatine is listed? Cheers so much...

Gumdrop
26th Mar 2004, 22:29
Hmm... well peep's to me is just slang for people... infact I have just used this word in a email to Blackie so I hope he understands my use of it. :p

As for the whole Easter bizz, I have found myself (over the years) working alongside a huge array of "peep's" with different religious beliefs, and what I have noticed is that whatever the religion - spend enough time around people with no religious beliefs (the general British public) and they will start to adopt a more lax view on religion as a whole.

At the moment I work with a group of people from different religious backgrounds, and we were talking about Easter the other day and found that most of us celebrate Easter as nothing more than time off work, and only 3 of us (2 Limeys and 1 African Christian) knew the original reason for marking Easter. It was all very interesting.

thiefessa
27th Mar 2004, 09:07
Originally posted by Gumdrop

At the moment I work with a group of people from different religious backgrounds, and we were talking about Easter the other day and found that most of us celebrate Easter as nothing more than time off work, and only 3 of us (2 Limeys and 1 African Christian) knew the original reason for marking Easter. It was all very interesting.

out of interest, what was their original reason for marking Easter? I presume it was pagan-based rather than Christian?

In the past I worked with many people at a Family Centre, again...lots of different religions and no problems whatsoever. I think we must point the finger at those politicians, they sure know how to stir things up! LOL...

littlek
31st Mar 2004, 02:58
Originally posted by theBlackman
I have no problem with the belief of any, with the possible exception of those who advocate blood sacrifice of other humans. :D

One of my horses neck was slashed by witches. They tried to sacrifice him I guess. The only reason I found out how he received such a massive laceration was the vet who sewed him back up. He said he "could not have done as clean a job with a scapel." and that he had been seeing a lot of mutilations lately. I asked a policeman who investigated witch sacrifices and he was convinced they were responsible for the injury. Takes a real sick person to slit a horses throat.

John D.
31st Mar 2004, 13:31
out of interest, what was their original reason for marking Easter? I presume it was pagan-based rather than Christian? Actually I've read that Easter was originally a pagan holiday dedicated to the Babylonian
goddess Isthar. Early in Church history the Catholics took the date and redone it to be a Christian holiday in order to help new converts make the transition into their new faith. Due to it's original background in paganism, I
dont attach any special meaning to it myself, but I do enjoy getting those chocolate cadberry eggs with the hard sugary shell that are sold this time of year!:p

Guineapiggy
31st Mar 2004, 20:40
Well I don't know about you guys but my religion dictates I reserve that date for celebrating Chocolate Day.

theBlackman
1st Apr 2004, 01:27
Originally posted by littlek
Takes a real sick person to slit a horses throat.

Agreed these types also generate no toleration at all in my view.

thiefessa
2nd Apr 2004, 07:00
out of interest, what was their original reason for marking Easter? I presume it was pagan-based rather than Christian?

I think you will find that majority of Christian beliefs/festivals are based on the older Pagan beliefs!

Many of you may like to keep your eyes open for the Green Man, tucked/hidden away somewhere in your local Christian Church!

The Green Man is a very strong Pagan symbol, and it is a face with foliage protruding. Those stonemasons were building those churches (on Pagan sites) but remained true to their Pagan beliefs and included the Green Man "somewhere"!!!

Look out for him usually very high up on the ceiling, or outside with the gargoyles! One of the most stunning examples is in Stratford Upon Avon where Shakespeare is buried, the entire ceiling is smothered with the Green Man, but from the floor and at distance, you wouldn't know!

Zaccheus
4th Apr 2004, 20:18
Not sure about Sunday, but on Thursday my wife and I will be having:
Lamb, water cress, unleavened bread, bitter herbs, etc.
;)

The christian easter coincides with the jewish passover, as this is the week when Jesus was crucified.

Lazarus
7th Apr 2004, 22:26
Originally posted by thiefessa
Thanks BM, yes....I am sure it could be a rather sensitive subject for some members....and I am willing not to say anymore, or would be happy if you feel this topic should be removed.....?

I consider myself Pagan simply because I love 'nature and the cosmos' - which to me is easier to understand and appreciate above anything else.
If you love nature and the cosmos, then you might want to try Christianity. Believe it or not, Christianity has a lot to do with nature and the cosmos, especially the cosmos. A lot of ppl don't know it, but our entire existance as humans is written in the cosmos... and I'm not talking about Astrology. Check it out... it's wild stuff. :D