PDA

View Full Version : one feature that allows me to enjoy and buy a game

pengy404
20th Mar 2004, 05:24
Everything I've heard about Thief III sounds good but does anyone know if this release will have cheat codes?! for instance, unlimited health, unlimited arrows (especially water arrows, heh), no ai targeting etc etc etc. Now some of you might complain that it ruins the game, listen if that is what you think, don't use the cheats, but for the rest of us I would appreciate it. It comes down to me either buying the game or not, just that one feature, cheat codes. Anyway blast away with your own comments/ideas here, but remember that allmost every other first person game (and come to think of it, third person games) have cheat codes for the people that want to use them. Also don't tell me "wait for the trainer to come out", I just won't bother..

Thanks!

Squid
20th Mar 2004, 06:29
Pengy404, Thief 1 & 2 really didn't have cheat codes. There were a few, but for the most part, people didn't use them. Whether they'll be enabled for the public release is unknown at this time.

Squid

Palmer
20th Mar 2004, 08:28
Someone always makes a trainer program.

pengy404
21st Mar 2004, 00:04
well to sum up my points:

- This isn't something strange I'm asking for, just go to adrenaline vault and check out the thousands of cheats for almost every pc game known to hit the shelf...

- No one likes waiting 6 months - 1 year for a trainer that only half works and only for version X.XX

- If people don't want to use them that's allright, I and other people do want to use them, that's why I ask for them.

- I have played Thief 1 and 2 for hours and I know there are no cheats to really to speak of except a cash bonus cheat.

- I'm not entirely sure which engine Thief 3 is using but if it's anything like the unreal engines etc, cheats will be a breeze for the programmers to add.

pengy404
21st Mar 2004, 00:09
also as a side post, I am looking forward to a good traditional bow in Thief 3, being an archer in real life it's fun to have a bow in a video game that just doesn't go "plunk" when you click the mouse...

pengy!

theBlackman
21st Mar 2004, 00:37
I for one, think CHEATS are for lame brain players who can't deal with life on the terms it offers. It's like bringing a basketball net down to six feet because you can't develop the skill to shoot.

You cheat in games, you cheat in life. Like it or not. Most cheaters are just that.

If the shoe fits play Cinderella. Else, accept the philosophy for what it is and move on.

Tin Star
21st Mar 2004, 01:57
Well I'LL tell you sport,if the new game is anything like the other Thief games you can forget about using cheats to win your way through it,you will have to earn your win just like the rest of us. Thats the one thing I love about the Thief games is that you need to use your skills to win,anybody can win a game by cheating as for the bow I to am an archer and at one time belonged to an archery club and won three medals for first place, but could care less about how the bow may sound or even look in the game.

:cool: Tin Star

HOC
21st Mar 2004, 02:40
Originally posted by theBlackman

You cheat in games, you cheat in life. Like it or not. Most cheaters are just that.

that's some pretty far-fetched logic there blackman....one that definitely requires some weight to bring ya back down to earth. unless you like being considered a criminal that has commited unlawful entry, assault and battery, kidnapping, destruction of property, theft, attacks on authority etc etc and should have the police notified now on your whereabouts and intent.

trainers usually come out a week or two after the initial release of the game, pengy. but they're always updated (ex. +3, +6, +9)

what kind of cheats are ya looking for for the game anyways? clipping? god mode?

Freddo
21st Mar 2004, 02:52
Originally posted by theBlackman
You cheat in games, you cheat in life. Like it or not. Most cheaters are just that.You kill in games, you kill in life. Like it or not. Most killers are just that :rolleyes:

What a stupid thing to say. I don't use cheats myself, as I feel they ruin my gaming experience, but saying a statement like that is plain wrong.

ChowYunFat
21st Mar 2004, 03:51
You kill in games, you kill in life. Like it or not. Most killers are just that
I agree with theBlackman. The difference between your character killing or stealing in the game & your using cheat codes during the game is that it's you who are cheating, not your in-game alter ego. You can argue the morality of playing a game in which you need to kill others to succeed but it's as fair a task as any other you might undertake. If you cheat to get through a game though, it says something about you that isn't very pleasant. Why even bother playing games if you aren't going to play them through properly--it's like reading only the last chapter of a book & claiming to have read the whole thing.

Peter_Smith
21st Mar 2004, 05:56
I would bet that all of the experienced Thief players here, and I am one, abhor the idea of cheats and walkthroughs. Thief is intended by design to be a game of stealth. When properly used, stealthy play enables the player to get through a mission mostly undetected or to BJ or kill all the AI at will, without using any cheats. Same applies to exploration and walkthroughs. Do it on your own. Learn to be good. You will be rewarded. You will not be rewarded for playing any game in God mode. That takes no skill whatsoever.

Although you can pick at TheBlackman's logic, I think you should not find fault with the moral principles he is advocating. These days, cheating is very common in school and in life among young people. It is a real shame.

For those of you who do not like theBlackman's moral lesson, I suggest you respond with your age and the number of years you have been playing Thief. I belive that would end the debate right there. :D

HOC
21st Mar 2004, 07:21
what moral lesson is there? what you do in a game to relax should automatically hold true to the real world? wait, that's already been covered. we're all criminals.

yeah, cheating is common. show proof that everyone who cheats in a video game has already done so in school. better yet, provide evidence that the executives of enron even play video games, and required cheats for each title they've played.

so someone cheats in a game...i guess they're not worthy to have kids or run a little league team or whatever "unpleasant" things could be said about that person.

out of curiosity, who here supports joseph lieberman's views on video games? i'm guessing some of you do already.

btw, i've been playing thief since gold came out. i'm soon to be 23. i play games to relax, not use as a means to judge others on. what additions to the debate do ya have for me, smith?

Peter_Smith
21st Mar 2004, 07:40
Originally posted by HOC
what additions to the debate do ya have for me, smith?
None, other than the fact that I did not say there was a connection between cheating in a game and cheating in school. You jumped to that conclusion. I merely said that cheating is common, and it's too bad.

What did you add other than a confrontational outburst? I suggest that you keep a lid on it, HOC. I am kind of curious, though. Is your calling me by my last name, spelled with a lower case "s" a sign of disrespect?

Secrets Of Nosgoth
21st Mar 2004, 07:43
I know back in the day when I first got the PSX I cheated alot, and when I bought games often it was if I had cheats. Looking back it seems really odd, but that is how I played and I thought it was normal. Eventually I wanted to play games all the way through once then go back and play with cheats, and once I did that I wheened(sp?) myself off of cheats altogether.

But I will still find myself looking at walkthroughs for certain games if I get stuck, and by stuck I mean after I spend hours and hours looking for something that should have been in plain sight.

oh yeah, cheats are in the code for a reason, to be used.

Peter_Smith
21st Mar 2004, 07:52
Secrets Of Nosgoth,

Perfectly natural progression. Now, let us talk about those walkthroughs. There is an unwritten code of ethics here that walkthroughs are bad. A certain clayman, if he shows up, is likely to deliver a fire arrow enema at the mere mention of a walkthrough. It is OK to ask help from fellow Thieves. That is expected. It is not OK to blindly follow a walkthrough. This is because that spoils the game. Exploration and discovery are important aspects of Thief.

If you get stuck and we can't answer it, the question has usually been answered already at TTLG.

HOC
21st Mar 2004, 07:57
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter Smith
None, other than the fact that I did not say there was a connection between cheating in a game and cheating in school. You jumped to that conclusion. I merely said that cheating is common, and it's too bad.

sorry, i figured that's what you were stating. afterall ya did cite blackman's "moral lesson".

What did you add other than a confrontational outburst? I suggest that you keep a lid on it, HOC. I am kind of curious, though. Is your calling me by my last name, spelled with a lower case "s" a sign of disrespect?

no confrontational outburst. just debating the topic. if somehow doing that deserves censorship, then something's a bit screwy. and no, no disrespect is present. if i meant any simply because i put a lowercase "s" in your last name, then i'd be doing the same to grammar. a'nd eyem shur-i, kuld (period here) do uh betr{ job @ butsher-ing !that. and this isn't the first time i've directed responses or mentioned you by last name only.

speaking of disrespect...is that the "moral lesson"? if you cheat in a game, you're a "lame brain" that can't handle life? i thought insulting posts weren't permitted ;)

as for walkthroughs, now that i just saw the comments on it, i don't see how they could be bad. since the person who created them must've played the game (unless there's a thief guide being sold in stores, or was).

Tin Star
21st Mar 2004, 08:24
The person that made this post makes it look like the only way they would by this game is if it had cheats in it,if that is indeed the case then it seems that the only games that this person buys are games that they can cheat at to win. Thus losing out on how to play a game the way it was meant to be played and not learning the skills it takes to do it without using cheats.

Its true that there are a lot of games that do have cheat codes you can use and a lot of people do use them,but a lot of those people will play through a game first without using them to win before they do use them. I have played Thief from the time it first came out and have never seen where the game is so hard to play that a person couldn't make it through the game if they take the time and think about what they are going to do and how they will do it. I think it would be a sad day indeed if they did put cheats in the Thief games that would only take away the skill that it takes to win at this game and you would learn nothing.

:cool: Tin Star

pengy404
21st Mar 2004, 13:35
If you're all so worried about morals, why are you playing a game where you steal and kill?

As I have said countless times, "if you don't want to cheat don't use the cheat codes" and shut up. It comes down to some people wanting something that you don't want, so they cannot have it because you think you're better than everyone else at video games (this isnt exactly a good thing.) You have spent too much time behind a computer and have lost all sight of human fundamentals, which is why you can steal and kill.

note; in case you didnt read the post, turn the computer off and grow up you twisted freaks. All it this post was supposed to be was a feature request.

I don't think I will ever purchase this game now because I don't want to sink to your prepubecent level.

pengy404
21st Mar 2004, 13:42
Wait! That's even putting the prepubecents down...

DreamEndless
21st Mar 2004, 14:26
Wow.... you're not the sharpest tool in the drawer are you.

COming onto a forum populated by die hard fans and asking for cheats normally sets you up for a good BBQ.

Doing that on a Thief board is just plain dumb.:eek:

This is a game with a devoted fan base unlike any other I have seen. Look into a game and its community before you get yourself lynched next time....:rolleyes:

Orumph
21st Mar 2004, 16:06
Cheats are not always a bad thing. I can understand the persons request for cheats. It can give longevity to games. Oh that's right, we don't want longevity in games anymore. Defeats the purpose of go buy the next one for another 50$. That's why they want to X-Box this stuff. Lack of longevity will fanagle another 50$ out of everyone for the next installment.

I'll end this Rant right here for now. ------

I started playing thief shortly before it went gold. I played 1&2 all the way through without cheating. I also found several fan missions and played them. But I also found cheats that would allow you to go on the hardest difficulty and disable the kill requirements for Thief 2. Thief 2 was better design in many ways over Thief 1 which was good too, but Theif 2 was better by far.

You still had to find everything and complete the main objectives but you could kill everything in sight. This is what I did in a stealthy manner in order to give the game a bit of longevity and it worked for me. I had a blast sneaking around corners and nailing a guy way across the yard with a flame arrow alerting others around, then getting their attention and running like hell, then taunting them and losing them, then come up and blackjack one or two then sword fight the rest or take a wack at one and run like hell again. This was great fun for me and would not have been possible without cheats.

Cheats are not the end of a game, Cheats give many games a second life.

Many of you need to get off your all mighty anti-cheating horse go dunk yourselves in a freezing lake to wake yourself up to seriously re-concider some of the posts you have made here. Quit acting so friggin righteous.

Tin Star
21st Mar 2004, 17:43
Originally posted by pengy404
If you're all so worried about morals, why are you playing a game where you steal and kill?

As I have said countless times, "if you don't want to cheat don't use the cheat codes" and shut up. It comes down to some people wanting something that you don't want, so they cannot have it because you think you're better than everyone else at video games (this isnt exactly a good thing.) You have spent too much time behind a computer and have lost all sight of human fundamentals, which is why you can steal and kill.

note; in case you didnt read the post, turn the computer off and grow up you twisted freaks. All it this post was supposed to be was a feature request.

I don't think I will ever purchase this game now because I don't want to sink to your prepubecent level.

Maybe you are the one who should shut up and grow up,you started this post knowing that there would be people who just don't agree with what you are saying and now that the heat is on you can't take it and want those who don't support having cheats in a game not to say anything. You just don't seem to be vary bright ,I think you have showen everyone here just how mature you really are. Name calling is not going to help you by any means,and is not going to help you get what you have requested and is something a little kid does when they see that they are not going to have things done or happen the way they want them to. You have already sunk lower then any member of this board by saying what you have said above and maybe its best that you don't buy the game,I don't think you can handle the challange that the game itself has to offer without cheats in it.

Tin Star

BrokenArts
21st Mar 2004, 17:49
Whoa pengy you need to chill. Learn some respect for others and their opinions. Learn to post with some intelligence, just because you didn't get what you wanted, don't resort to name calling. If you knew that T1 and T2 didn't have much in the way of cheats, except for one, why are you so bent out of shape about this one then? The game isn't even released yet, no reason to get nasty. You can't handle the game, go play something else then.
We shall play it.

Peter_Smith
21st Mar 2004, 17:51
Prepubecent?:mad: OK, pengy... I have seen enough of your remarks, and I think we all have. As for now, you are classified as a troll waiting to be axed. Read the rules before posting again.

Orumph, you could stand a little indoctrination in to the forum rules yourself. Name calling and insults are not tolerated here.

Thread closed.