PDA

View Full Version : Thief Chess Set

thiefessa
18th Mar 2004, 20:14
I am toying with the idea of having a chess set made up designed around the Thief game. I don't think it has been done by any factory, which is a real shame, but apparently there are plenty of woodworkers out there who will take on special consignments. I hope the idea doesn't breach copyright laws....if it does, someone please let me know!

I'm looking for ideas for which characters to use for each piece. Obviously I want all the main characters, for both the black and white sides, so perhaps Garrett and Karras as opposing Kings, Victoria as a Queen, etc.....all your ideas very much appreciated!

Cheers!:cool:

thiefessa
18th Mar 2004, 21:07
Ooops, sorry...realised that I should really have posted this thread at the Burrick, can any kind moderator move for me?
Cheers...

Lake
18th Mar 2004, 21:08
Are you going for a theme for each side? Ex., black being chaos and white being everyone else.

Black King - Trickster
Black Queen - Victoria
Black Pawns - Ape Beast
Black Bishops - Apparitions
Black Knights - Haunts
Black Rooks - Fire Shadow

White King - Garrett
White Queen - ???????
White Pawns - Sword Guards
White Bishops - Keepers
White Knights - Hammerites
White Rooks - Bow Guards

thiefessa
18th Mar 2004, 21:11
Hi Lake, thanks for those ideas and yep, did want the symbolic theme of white/black = good/bad etc. Love your suggestions, happy to receive as many as possible. I wonder who should be the white queen?

Lake
18th Mar 2004, 21:12
Maybe a redeemed Viktoria?

theBlackman
18th Mar 2004, 22:45
Lady Louisa, of course.

Lady Van Buren is a bit of a harlot.

And Victoria was not reformed. A truce against a common enemy does not mean reformed. :D

Mr. Perfect
18th Mar 2004, 23:00
Lol. Good call TheBlackman. That's one of the funnniest NPC scriptings I've seen in Thief.

tealsmith
18th Mar 2004, 23:26
The queen of Garret's side could just be a pile of coins. That'd satisfy him the most :D

HOC
19th Mar 2004, 00:10
i think basso would make a good rook.

Peter_Smith
19th Mar 2004, 06:14
In my opinion, one of the requirements of a chess set is that the pieces should remind you somewhat of the original chess pieces. Without that, the set becomes useless for playing chess. King and Queen, tall royal types. Garrett is OK. Bishops should be clergy with hats. I guess priests will do. Knights should really be riding horses. So, I would put sword guards riding burricks. Close enough.:). Rooks really need to be castles, not people. I'm sure you could find art examples from the game. Pawns really need to be foot soldiers. I like ape beasts and ordinary guards.

There is nothing wrong with having Victoria on both sides.:) One side could have tree limbs, and the other side could be a human form.

thiefessa
19th Mar 2004, 07:56
Wow! Barely sipped my coffee this morning before I got to read all your ideas.....fantastic, thanks soooooo much for all your suggestions.

Peter is quite right to suggest that the pieces remain 'chess piece looking' but obviously there can be a little give and take. I like the idea of burricks instead of horses! I absolutely love the idea of Viktoria in human and tree form for each side!

I am saving up hard to pay for this chess set, I guess it will be a Chrimbo present for myself, its gonna be a few hundred pounds I am sure. So any other ideas in the meantime always appreciated.
xxx

Whatz His Name
19th Mar 2004, 13:32
As for copyright laws. I think (don't hold me to it) its okay to create an original work based on copyrighted characters. You simply cannot market the item and mass produce them.

Fafhrd
19th Mar 2004, 13:36
for rooks you could definitely get away with castles of some sort on one side, for the other, a good choice for the other would be the treemen.

of course, I'm biased, as those are the one of the few molds I have for casting pewter pieces.

the biggest problem you'd have is that garrett really doesn't fit in EITHER side (ie, do the hammerites really like him?), although he is much more on the side of humanity than nature if you split it that way.

Lake
19th Mar 2004, 16:09
Originally posted by Peter Smith
There is nothing wrong with having Victoria on both sides.:) One side could have tree limbs, and the other side could be a human form.

Love that idea.

Lake
19th Mar 2004, 16:11
Originally posted by theBlackman
And Victoria was not reformed. A truce against a common enemy does not mean reformed. :D

I said redeemed, not reformed. :D

bravus
19th Mar 2004, 16:50
Maybe on the white side the pawns could be the freaky little keeper prophecy translation girl?

Bat-mite
19th Mar 2004, 17:42
Originally posted by Whatz His Name
As for copyright laws. I think (don't hold me to it) its okay to create an original work based on copyrighted characters. You simply cannot market the item and mass produce them.

Agreed. What you do for private use is freely up to you. However, any attempt to distribute the pieces, for profit or fun, would be a breech of copyright.

That being said, if you have the means to mass-distribute the chess game, I'm sure Eidos would love a cut of the profit as well as the promotion it would bring to T3.

Guineapiggy
19th Mar 2004, 19:33
You mean the white queen isn't obvious? Luitenant Mosely!

Gumdrop
19th Mar 2004, 23:33
What, no blackjack piece? :confused:

Mr. Perfect
20th Mar 2004, 05:58
If Eidos were to sell those sets, I'd probably get one. :)

thiefessa
20th Mar 2004, 09:26
Sure, if Eidos were to sell a Thief Chess Set I am sure it would work out much cheaper to buy instead of having to pay out for a private commission, and then we'd all be happy!

I wonder if it is worth suggesting to them?

I wish that some Company somewhere could make something for us fans. I mentioned in a previous post about all the statues, dolls and other collectables with games such as Tomb Raider. I know, it was probably Lara's breasts that got most of the attention, and Garrett isn't going to be able to compete with that is he, lol!

But, if there were Thief collectables such as statues, chess set etc etc etc, I would definitely buy them!

Whatz His Name
22nd Mar 2004, 18:02
Originally posted by thiefessa
... it was probably Lara's breasts that got most of the attention,...
Well, if Garrett puts two well placed arrows somewhere, he would "let all the hot air out of his competition". :D

theBlackman
22nd Mar 2004, 18:14
Originally posted by Lake
I said redeemed, not reformed. :D

Sorry to misquote, but she was not "redeemed" either. It was a case of Karras is more of a danger than the bulk of those against Paganism.

So, she called a truce with Garrett, the enemy (one of), and suggested that a joint effort be made to defeat Karras and his plan of annihilation.

Nothing to say that had she survived, her efforts to revive the Pagan Woodsie lord religion would not have continued.

In her mind the conflict between G and her became minor compared to the total destruction of all organic matter posed by Karras.