PDA

View Full Version : the thief world

imported_deadly_thief
15th Mar 2004, 21:51
it said in my pcgamer mag you might be able to go inside garrets house it would be good if you could leave some of your things there if you have limited space in your full of teasure pockets

there was a mention of free play too sorry if all this is already been mentioned

grafixmonkey
16th Mar 2004, 00:44
free play? as in you need cash so you can just hit the town and see who has some loose loot? And maybe the loot respawns after a certain amount of time? That would be cool.

imported_deadly_thief
16th Mar 2004, 20:50
yep thats what my mag said

i read you can just rob random houses (the bigger the better), pickpocket random rich ppl on the street while begin careful of the night patrol who also are good to pickpocket and then after a good night thiefing you can go to your local pawn shop to swap your goods for gold which you then bring with you to go shopping for thief tools at your local newsagents you can also do this before or after specific missions so in the end it is an open ended game so you can still go thiefing

im not sure if there is day and night that would add some thought into the gameplay (if smart you would thief at night)

r u new (i haven't seen u aruond before)

imported_deadly_thief
16th Mar 2004, 20:52
sorry but i cant be bothered to use grammer

imported_deadly_thief
16th Mar 2004, 21:00
i hope if u hit someone in the head with an arrow they die this time in the last 2 games it didnt even effect them. i think if u hit them in the leg the arrow dosnt dissapear and would give them a limp. so if u hit them in sertain places it effects them accouding to where u hit them. and some ragdoll physics would be good so where u hit them the persons body would move depending on where u hit them. it would also mean everyone would fall in a different postions when dead instead of the same damn postion

Thief-punk
17th Mar 2004, 12:33
i hope if u hit someone in the head with an arrow they die this time in the last 2 games it didnt even effect them. i think if u hit them in the leg the arrow dosnt dissapear and would give them a limp. so if u hit them in sertain places it effects them accouding to where u hit them. and some ragdoll physics would be good so where u hit them the persons body would move depending on where u hit them. it would also mean everyone would fall in a different postions when dead instead of the same damn postion

First off, they DID die if you hit them in the head (unless they spotted you before your arrow left your bow).

And it is confirmed that bodies have ragdoll-effects. How advanced they are, I do not know. But according to null (or whoever wrote that in the ion storm forum) they will be pretty realistic.

grafixmonkey
18th Mar 2004, 04:49
All sounds very cool.

Yeah I'm kinda new to the T3 forums - I was one of the people in the Deus Ex Invisible War forums, hanging on a tiny, invisible thread of hope that Eidos/IonStorm would fix the game that they had their infinite-monkeys-on-infinite-code-workstations write, and decided it would be more fun to talk about Thief 3.

imported_deadly_thief
18th Mar 2004, 18:23
i didnt know about the physics so thanks for that. i think it will be quite a different experance to see what someone would do if a bow hit them in the.....well....urm you know where i mean. most games coming or already out have the rag-doll physics but they use guns i wounder what the arrows will look like.

grafixmonkey
18th Mar 2004, 19:39
This is getting kinda morbid...

But I think guns tend to send a bullet flying right through and impart less mass to the body. Arrows are heavy, and hit with lots of force.

By my calculations...

My 45# bow gives about 45 pounds of force at a draw length of 28 inches. Assuming a little bit less than linear increase in force across that distance (the string is already pulled tight, so you have to pull it decently hard to start drawing, then it gets easier... I used Force = 45 * Sqrt[L / 28in]), the arrow would leave the bow with 21.3 pound-meters-per-second of energy.

If an arrow is about one fifth of a pound (not sure, no scales here) that would put the arrow going at about 240 miles per hour when it leaves the bow.

It will hit a person with about the same force as it left the bow since arrows are so streamlined and travel a short distance, so a 200lb person (I figure that gives room for a fit person wearing chain mail and a sword) would get hit by 21.3 pound-meters-per-second of force, and after the impact would be left traveling at about 1.19 miles per hour, or a medium walking speed.

Of course this is Ion Storm designing it, and in Deus Ex 2 if you get shot with a pistol in the right spot, you do a backflip and fly across the room... So in Thief 3 we can expect arrows to hit a person like a 200mph anvil, pick them up off their feet without slowing down, and smash through three brick walls before crumpling to a heap.

Which sucks, because that means that nobody will be able to use arrows in Thief. They'll make far too much noise, and it would really suck to walk all that distance and dig through all those bricks to hide the body!