PDA

View Full Version : Co-Op Mode

bonobp
15th Mar 2004, 21:34
IMO Co-Op mode would fit thief3 way better than team-based MP. thief3 will never be able to compete vs. the likes of Unreal Tournament 2004 or Battlefield Vietnam anyway... What would you prefer?

Morpheus445
15th Mar 2004, 21:45
Nothing would be cooler then a band of thieves co-opperating in a heist to take care of different objectives and different areas, to distract guards etc. and lead them away from you. That would be awsome!

tealsmith
15th Mar 2004, 21:45
The thought occured to me not that long ago actually, while I was playing the Ranstall Keep FM. It could have een so cool, to have at least one other person with you. You could split up the objectives, or just help each other out. A mod in which you could play the T2 missions online in co-op with even just one other player would really make me happy.

bonobp
15th Mar 2004, 21:56
how´s that ninja stealth game called that´s co-op with 2 players? again, other companies are ahead of ion storm :p

tealsmith
15th Mar 2004, 21:58
You're thinking of Tenchu. All the tunchu games I've played have been pretty buggy, and overall average quality.

van_HellSing PL
15th Mar 2004, 22:03
Both options would be nice, but T3 isn't going to have multiplayer anyway.

bonobp
15th Mar 2004, 22:08
you´re right, that´s the game:
http://www.gamespy.com/previews/february04/tenchuxbox/

something like this would make thief3 really unique...

@ HellSing: uhm, no MP at all?? i heard there was MP, has it been dropped? :(

tealsmith
15th Mar 2004, 22:11
The only Thief MP is Thievery.

BrokenArts
15th Mar 2004, 23:12
I love playing Thievery, it's great. :D

Unstoppable
15th Mar 2004, 23:36
Yep Thievery UT is one of a kind.

grafixmonkey
16th Mar 2004, 00:42
I still can't figure out how Thief multiplayer would even work? If you can gang up on a job then you're storming them by force, not thiefing. And what'd be the point of having a lever somewhere that has to be held down while the other guy goes through? It sounds like too much cooperation to me.

That, and I tend to go pretty slowly through the Thief games the first few times. Picture waiting in a corner for somebody to sneak their way by a guard... just seems weird to me.

What's this "Thievery" thing you're talking about? Maybe I should give it a look and see how it works.

Unstoppable
16th Mar 2004, 01:02
www.thieveryut.com

Fossa
16th Mar 2004, 19:32
The point is best made by Garrett himself in one of the cutscenes, forgive me for not remembering which one. I believe its from Thief 2 when Garrett first comes back into contact with Viktoria.

"I work alone."

Lake
16th Mar 2004, 19:40
Originally posted by tealsmith
The only Thief MP is Thievery.

MP Thief would have to be close to it for me to play.

darrincates
17th Mar 2004, 03:51
My wife and I have played through Thief 1 & 2 at the same time on seperate PC's, but never together. We always have said "Wouldn't it be great if we could play together coop?" and we have searched for ANY coop game we could find wondering if there are other husband and wife couples who were looking for the same types of games. Tonight we find out there's gonna be a thief 3. I hope it has COOP!

BrokenArts
17th Mar 2004, 04:11
Thievery has an option called Co-op mode, and you and your wife can both Thieve together. It's based on UT and UT game of the year edition. It's a lot of fun, playing against real people is a definite challenge.
I have spent way too much time playing that game. :mad: :D

LeatherMan
17th Mar 2004, 04:42
Originally posted by BrokenArts
Thievery ... It's based on UT and UT game of the year edition.

Sorry, a correction is needed (so not to confuse those that haven't seen or played ThieveryUT (http://www.thieveryut.com/) ).

ThieveryUT (http://www.thieveryut.com/) is based on Thief, but is built on UT (which is why you need UT to play). ThieveryUT (http://www.thieveryut.com/) is what is known as a Total Conversion (TC), and the gameplay has nothing in common with UT. It doesn't look like or play like UT (though it does use some textures and sounds).

For those who have dreamed of Thief Multiplayer, you owe it to yourself to give ThieveryUT (http://www.thieveryut.com/) a try. All you need is a copy of UT (look in the bargain bins) and a computer that is slightly more powerful than UT's minimum requirements.

Originally posted by BrokenArts
It's a lot of fun, playing against real people is a definite challenge.
I have spent way too much time playing that game. :mad: :D

Yes, much fun has been had! :D

darrincates
17th Mar 2004, 13:33
We're installing it today! We've waited YEARS for something like Thievery and it was sitting there this whole time!! Hopefully it will hold us over till Thief 3, and hopefully Thief 3 will be coop too OR someone will do a kewl MOD like Thievery for Thief 3. Any advise for Thievery?

Acronomic
17th Mar 2004, 20:36
Coop would be ingenious especially on the Xbox! Just imagine splitting the screen in 4 and taffing about... :D Could be done on a PC, with multiple... keyboards...

;)

imported_deadly_thief
18th Mar 2004, 19:17
it can with mulitiple screens too if you have radeon, a flat screen, and a big old screen. but instead of multiple keyboards you ban just buy lots of cheap controlers like ps2 or xbox style if done it before and it works great and turns out cheap

LeatherMan
19th Mar 2004, 00:10
Originally posted by darrincates
Any advise for Thievery? If you do decide to play on the (unfortunately) few public servers, spectate a few rounds before you play to get a feel for it. Read the Server Rules (F2) as some have very specific rules and you can be banned if you break them. When you do play, let the other players know that you are a noob so they won't berate you for doing something they consider stupid (yes, some are rude).
Bind your items (Invisible + Catfall potions, flashbombs, flares) to keystrokes. Pressing the key uses them instead of just bringing them up in your inventory (ala Thief). Thievery does have a faster pace than Thief (though nowhere near as fast as UT, Quake3, etc.) so this is extremely helpful.
There are some weapons that are new or different from Thief, but were added/nerfed to help balance the multiplayer aspect of the game. Become familiar with them by playing Solo games.
You can play a guard in Solo games, though there is no thief. This can be helpful in learning the maps without having to fight/avoid guards.
Finally, never underestimate the fun that can be had by guarding. ;)

BrokenArts
19th Mar 2004, 00:32
I too shall add a bit to what LM has said.

1. Learn the loot placement first.
2. If your not sure what to do, hit the *o* key for objectives, same both Thief and guards.
3. Have patience, the game has a definate learning curve.
4. When you blackjack as a thief, hold the button, I found this out the hard way, hold down mouse fire button, till the black jack is almost above your face, then black jack.

If you ever have any other questions, just ask, check out the Thievery forum too. You might find information pertaining to a question you might have.

There are so many things to cover, it is difficult to post all the tips, some you have to discover for yourself.

Have fun, good luck, hope to see you on the thievery servers someday. :)

Emultra
21st Mar 2004, 18:14
Originally posted by Morpheus445
Nothing would be cooler then a band of thieves co-opperating in a heist to take care of different objectives and different areas, to distract guards etc. and lead them away from you. That would be awsome!
Absolutely. We get way too little co-op these days. It's one of the secret ingredients that makes people say that "it was better in the old days".

tealsmith
22nd Mar 2004, 03:55
I've always wanted to play Thievery, but I can't get a copy of Unreal Tournament :(

Wynne
23rd Mar 2004, 10:49
Where's the "Multiplayer can kiss my..." option?

I definitely prefer co-op over team-based, though. :)

R_Soul
23rd Mar 2004, 14:24
I'd like the idea of co-op with-traitor-in-midst.

A group of thieves supposed to be working together, but one has the objective to lure the others into traps and steal all the loot for themselves.
:eek:

BrokenArts
23rd Mar 2004, 14:30
Now your talking about something called, *NightBlade*

Check it out here.

http://www.night-blade.com/about.html

Whatz His Name
23rd Mar 2004, 14:36
I never developed a taste for multi-player games. I tried it once and was constantly attacked by players who were already well established and only attacking me for my money or equipment so they can level up their weak friends. After trying in vane to get strong enough to keep a foothold in the game, I gave up. I haven't played it since.

As for Thief, I would rather be the lone shadow. If I had to pick one of the two, I would prefer co-op over team. The fewer the better in my opinion.

BrokenArts
23rd Mar 2004, 14:55
Thing is Whatz His Name, you haven't played Thievery have you? I don't think you ever tried it.

Thieves can't attack thieves in Thievery, oh sure I can Black Jack you and watch you wobble all over the place. ;) The only ones that will attack you are the guards, and that's their job. :p

I sometimes love hiding in the shadows, and watch guards run right pass me, love it, I sometimes Ghost, and KO too. Just depends.

Never say never on Multi-player. Thievery is kick ass. :D

Seiryoku
8th Apr 2004, 21:48
Thievery is sweet. Shame that the servers are dwindling. Last check had it at 2 servers and no one plays that Thief Match at all. That has some totally different maps in it it seemed.

Oh well, at least they usually always is someone playing.

BrokenArts
8th Apr 2004, 22:01
Really varies a lot with the server's, sometimes, yes there are 2 servers, but mainly there are more.

There is a bug that sometimes prevents the servers from all being listed, pain in the butt. Lately, it's been busy with Thievery. :)

Scale
8th Apr 2004, 22:33
MP would rock me and my frend are big thief fans and the tought we can play toghter just rox.
also u can do the also clasic trick: HE YOU

Morpheus445
13th Apr 2004, 13:08
If you have heard of muds (Free Online Text Based Games), I am starting one right now based on a thief-like environment, where players are theives and essentially live their lives in the city. One of the big aspects of this is pulling heists, which you can co-op with other players. If your interested, I'm coding it right now with the Smaug 1.4a FUSS codebase, and probably will host it with kyndig (www.mudmagic.com) when the time comes.

tealsmith
7th Jul 2004, 00:55
Originally posted by Morpheus445
If you have heard of muds (Free Online Text Based Games), I am starting one right now based on a thief-like environment, where players are theives and essentially live their lives in the city. One of the big aspects of this is pulling heists, which you can co-op with other players. If your interested, I'm coding it right now with the Smaug 1.4a FUSS codebase, and probably will host it with kyndig (www.mudmagic.com) when the time comes.

Sounds spiffy. How does a text based Thief game work...

TYPE: "TELL KEEPERS TO TAFF OFF."
PC RESPONSE: "ORLAND GIVES YOU THE GLYPH FINGER."

Oh the possibilites.... :D

Silent_Hitman47
7th Jul 2004, 14:39
Here's my idea of a thief multiplayer.

1.The theif has a certain objective in the city.
2.People that aren't the thief would be Hammers, Pagans, or City Watch.
3.Once the spots for those fill up, people become civilians with info on their homes and jobs.
4.The objective could be anywhere so EVERY building is enterable.
5.The option to turn NPC on or off so the game won't be too small.
6.Whoever catches the thief would then become the thief for the next game.

This is just an idea though. But I think i would prefer to work alone.

GandalftheGrey
13th Jul 2004, 14:00
you could also have competitive thief where the thief with the most loot at the end of a certain period of time wins.

btw, what's an NPC?:confused:

Chickenboy
14th Jul 2004, 08:36
Without changes to the gameplay, I really don't see how multiplayer could work in any other way than co-op. Only the dumbest of players is going to not bother investigating what they thought was movement in the shadows, unlike the computer AI. Assuming multiplayer will mean thieves versus hammerites/pagans/city watch etc, the only way it could come close to working is if only the thieves could enter shadows, otherwise what is to stop non-thieves just standing in the shadows themselves so the thieves can't sneak past. It couldn't be a multiplayer version of the single-player experience. It might still be a good fun? But, it won't be the same.

GandalftheGrey
14th Jul 2004, 13:35
if the maps were bigger and designed right, i think it could work

wolfsbane
16th Jul 2004, 01:02
Originally posted by GandalftheGrey
btw, what's an NPC?:confused:

npc = non player character

eg: shopkeepers, lady elizibeth, keepre orland, (characters in the game that arn't just puppets)

rob444
17th Jul 2004, 23:46
Originally posted by Fossa
The point is best made by Garrett himself in one of the cutscenes, forgive me for not remembering which one. I believe its from Thief 2 when Garrett first comes back into contact with Viktoria.

"I work alone."

Yeah, that's why we are probably going to see a girl in Thief 4 coop:ing with Garret. I think Thief 4 would be the best timing if they were ever going to implent coop mode. Coop mode would rock, would make Thief even more popular than it already is. One thing though, the maps are made for one person so coop would probably make it to easy, maybe add more patrolling guards in coop?

rob444
17th Jul 2004, 23:49
Heh clicked once and it got double posted, BS :o