PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone's problem???

TheSaber
13th Mar 2004, 07:54
What a bunch of slack-jawed, whining fools. All I read around here (well, almost..) is how people think that Ion Storm have screwed things up. Ok so I liked the rope arrows myself, but who cares, maybe the gloves will be fun as well. No swimmable water..I for one am happy, I'm not a damn fish.

Just be grateful theres even going to be a new thief at all. I know if I was making this game and there was this much complaining, I'd say screw you to all the idiot fans who think they know better. Some of us fans are happy and thank you Ion Storm for continuing this series.

van_HellSing PL
13th Mar 2004, 08:06
No swimmable water..I for one am happy, I'm not a damn fish. To everyone his own... Watter was a big immersion (get it? ;)) factor for me.

Just be grateful theres even going to be a new thief at all. I for one would prefer NOT having another game over it turning out to be like DX:IW.

Currently, my biggest concern are the loading zones and the PUFF!_and_the_guard_magically_dissapears issue.

coldplay_josh_106
13th Mar 2004, 10:06
AAHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRGGGGG!!! STOP COMPLAINING!!!!!:mad:

bonobp
13th Mar 2004, 13:56
i said that too when everyone was whining about DX:IW. But now that i´ve played it... some of the things ppl complained about really turned out to spoil some fun, f.e. unfied ammo, no skill system (i hated the old Deus Ex skill system, but why not improve it instead of droping it altogther?)

I still love DX:IW because of the theme & story, but gameplay could have been better. I hope they will not make the same mistakes in Thief :(

Acronomic
13th Mar 2004, 14:49
I have to agree with TheSaber... I'm kind of sick of complaining too...

I think we all should just trust the makers of this game. There's a high probability that they've played the previous games ( :p ) and know what it's all about, so they wouln't ruin the game by using the same stealth system as in DE: IW or other weird things... Thief 3 will be very similar to Thief 1 & 2, just trust them!

thegrommit
13th Mar 2004, 14:56
Originally posted by van_HellSing PL
I for one would prefer NOT having another game over it turning out to be like DX:IW.

LMAO - what about the option of not buying it? Or would the games mere existence offend you too much? :D

van_HellSing PL
13th Mar 2004, 16:20
would the games mere existence offend you too much? Yes. I can't play DX now without thinking about the utter crappiness of the sequel...

TheSaber
14th Mar 2004, 07:28
come on, DX:IW may have a couple of bugs, but just because of that doesn't mean the whole game is crap. But if you think that way, well you're the one missing out.

Remember - No expectations, no disappointments.

BrokenArts
14th Mar 2004, 16:14
One thing to keep in mind, there are 2 different teams developing Deus and Thief. I have faith in them, I was talking to one of the developers, who goes by the name of Sledge the other night, yes he knows how worried people are. They know. If anyone knows who Sledge is, he is a community boy, who climbed that ladder, and now works on T3. We had lunch last May, I trust what Sledge says. Have known him for a few years now. Great guy. The developers read what people say. Of course some will not like the game, what can we do, so be it. That won't stop me from playing.

H3ll, there were things a lot of people didn't like about T2, too much mechanics. We still played it.

I too am sick of the complaining, you read so much of it after a while, I stop reading.

imported_deadly_thief
14th Mar 2004, 17:38
you ppl should look at the glass half full not half empty (look foward to the good things in the game)

BrokenArts
14th Mar 2004, 17:41
Like I have said before, I am just glad there is another Thief game!! When Looking Glass died, Thief could of died right along with it, here is the glass half full senario. :)

Chiefdreams
14th Mar 2004, 19:13
WOW BA, you nailed it thanks.
I mean it.
"insert serious face here."

imported_deadly_thief
14th Mar 2004, 21:00
OK

0 0
L
__

theres your face

Quillan
14th Mar 2004, 22:43
Wow, first people complained. Then people complained about the complainers. Now people are complaining about the complainers about the complainers. When does the daisy chain end?

BrokenArts
14th Mar 2004, 22:49
We all know and understand what you know, (for the most part) and I know too, and I understand, ya know? You know what I mean? There ya go.

Chiefdreams
14th Mar 2004, 23:23
Dont hog the weed BA.

BrokenArts
14th Mar 2004, 23:32
I left it all for you Chief, this is al natural. :p :D

Chiefdreams
14th Mar 2004, 23:53
I wasn't talking about them BA.:o :D

Lake
15th Mar 2004, 17:13
Originally posted by BrokenArts
We all know and understand what you know, (for the most part) and I know too, and I understand, ya know? You know what I mean? There ya go.

I have no idea what you are talking about but I could not agree more.

:D

TheSaber
17th Mar 2004, 06:16
This has turned into something very strange. Lets leave it there while we're ahead.

BrokenArts
17th Mar 2004, 15:34
It seemed to be doing just fine, until you said it was strange and bumped it up again. ;)

Tin Star
17th Mar 2004, 15:54
Well I'LL tell say this much about it,I just don't see how anyone can complain about a game that hasn't been released yet or even played a demo of the game to get an idea of what it might be like. Sure there are changes in the new game but that does not mean it will be a bad game,who knows it may turn out to be the best Thief game yet.

:cool: Tin Star

Captain Mainwaring
18th Mar 2004, 10:29
Well, I'm just complaining that my computer isn't going to get updated anytime soon so I won't be playing Thief III for a long time to come. :mad:

TheSaber
19th Mar 2004, 05:43
The simple fact of the matter, or question, is why would you let a small problem ruin the entire game or experience?

Kerghan
19th Mar 2004, 09:05
Originally posted by van_HellSing PL
I for one would prefer NOT having another game over it turning out to be like DX:IW.

I'd have to agree with that...it's kind of like how the first Matrix was almost perfect...second one was not as good but it was alright, third one was terrible. Really messed up a on what was a great story, and could have been a great trilogy. Many people think it should have been left untouched after the first Matrix. Of course, if T: DS turns out to be a great game, more power to 'em.

Like most people, the biggest thing I'm concerned with is the area loading/size of the areas.

Orumph
21st Mar 2004, 22:45
Captain, that may not be such a bad thing.
I'ld think you'ld be happier if you waited to find out if it turns out like DX2 and didn't waste your money?

In all honesty, I really hope they surprise me. I for one won't be caught off gaurd if a thousand posts come rolling in about terrible problems and bad game play aspects and small levels that need to load every 4 minutes to get to the next.

If it's a great game if I decide to buy it or can get some place to play it, I will admit it and praise it. On the other hand, I'll say I told you so.

Bertuccio
23rd Mar 2004, 20:20
Someone else's quote "Like I have said before, I am just glad there is another Thief game!! When Looking Glass died, Thief could of died right along with it, here is the glass half full senario."

I can't agree with that. Ion Storm is making another game -named- Thief with the same main character. It is perfectly possible that it is not at all the same kind of game.

"A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet." They may be changing the flower and keeping the name.

Of course we won't know till it actually comes out, but Thief may still be dead while the name lives on.

So I do think we have the right to complain. Essentially, if Ion Storm does change the game enough that it is only a sequal in name then they have robbed us all of the chance to play a new, true Thief game and set our hopes up high only to shoot them down.

Whatz His Name
23rd Mar 2004, 21:12
Like Tin Star stated, don't complain until you play the game. I find it funny how so many people are complaining about things that they have absolutely no idea how those things will be in the game.

Express concern over the changes, sure, knock yourself out.
Complaining about how the changes will ruin the game and how you will refuse to play the game if it ships with such changes, thats a little over the top.

If T3 turns out to be a crappy game, come here and complain with all the rest of us. Until you actually experienced the changes, don't knock them.

Bertuccio
24th Mar 2004, 22:11
The point is that by complaining (not just to each other but to ION Storm) we will prevent Thief III from being a crappy game. I think it would be rather stupid to let them make it crappy, buy it, waste the money, -then- complain.

Seeing as we are all the primary reason that Thief III will be in existence (If we hadn't bought the first ones they never would have considered it) I think we -should- have a large amount of input and the devs should be paying attention to what we say.

The developers are counting heavily on the original fans buying this game to turn a profit, and they expect that we will buy it regardless of how crappy it turns out. If we refuse to buy it they have very little choice but to succumb to our demands or eat money on the game.

Remember, the -only- power you have in the corporate world is the power to buy what you choose. Refusing to buy the game because of some stupid thing they put into it is the only leverage you have over a game developer. Don't be like the mindless masses, use your power.

Whatz His Name
25th Mar 2004, 14:14
Originally posted by Bertuccio
The point is that by complaining (not just to each other but to ION Storm) we will prevent Thief III from being a crappy game.
But how do you know the changes will make the game crappy? You don't. As you may know, The Metal Age had changes from The Dark Age. The fans now accept the two games as pretty much as one game.

I don't want them to make a crappy game either. I, along with many others, are just tired of hearing people complain complain complain about changes and gameplay that they have not seen fully or played. Like I said, expressing your concerns is perfectly fine but stop complaining about stuff you have not experienced. If you want a "cookie cutter" game of the original two, forget T3 and stick with the hundreds of fan created missions that are on the Thief sites. They don't cost anything to play.

TheSaber
27th Mar 2004, 04:52
Quite right Whatz His Name. If your only power in the corporate world is buying what you choose what's the point of complaining?

Plus this far along in production, the developers aren't going to be able to alter the game to please a few disgruntled fans.

And remember the bigger issue is not that because of us there will even be a thief 3 but because of the developers we will have a new thief. They're the ones who are providing the goods and services, we are the consumers. We as you say buy only what we want, don't take it personally if they in your opinion ruin a franchise. It is after all designed for entertainment, none of us have a stake in it, only a measure of enjoyment or not.

Orumph
28th Mar 2004, 18:42
Most of the complaints around here are quite justified.

Just for the record, DX2 suffers from more than just a couple of bugs.

Seriously, DX2 is a piece of junk, all around. But the Sys Req's are a joke. Personaly I feel should be actionable (false advertisment) when a 3Ghz PC with 1G Ram and a 128M vid card can't run the game adequately, how the hell is a 64M vid card on a 1Ghz PC with 512M Ram going to run it. Much less a 32M card. Unfortunately, the EULA appears to absolve them pretty much of anything. Go figure.

We just don't want to see what happened to DX2 happen to T3, even if it is this late in the game. They can tweak it and make it more playable even if they can't change story lines and game length.

I will say that some of the complaints are rather trivial to a small extent. They are also valid. Like no rope arrows, no swimmable water. Personaly, I think that does suck. But not a game killer in my eyes.

If we don't complain about the effects and problems that are a REAL potential for T3 as they will be using basicly the same INI file routines as DX2 (T3 routines are coded in the DX2 ini files). Then we definatly would get another DX2 playability problem game. So far, with all our complaining they have tweaked stuff, devs have said so. They know if they didn't tweak the load times between levels/areas, and in my opinion, the NUMBER of load times, there would be such a backlash they wouldn't recover. No one would buy T4 (if it's ever made). I know I wouldn't.

I for one am still worried that T3 will be a lack of game play/length/size of levels/ closterphoic areas and a consolish looking game on a PC (just like DX2 is). I won't be buying it till i see many positive posts about it. Or see it in action for myself.

They have heard a lot of us, and they have stated they have tweaked things up a bit and I bet there will be more in-game options to tweak to get the game to run on many PC's by lowering graphics etc as needed.

I'll also be disappointed if the game settings are saved anything like DX2 is (inside a save game). That is just stupid programing for PC.

Another thing that would erk me big time is to find files that shouldn't be set as read only, shipped set as read only. AS was done with DX2.

So, complaining is not unjustified by any means. Eventhough some are seamingly more trivial than others still doesn't make them unjustified.

Passion consumes us all, about one thing or another.

york807
29th Mar 2004, 17:12
I'm just glad some one is going to keep the life and adventures of Garrett alive.

TheSaber
31st Mar 2004, 11:10
I never said complaining was unjustified, do whatever you want. It's just my opinion that it is kind of pointless.

DX2 ran fine with me and my computer is only around the recommended level, which is at least half of 3ghz and 1G Ram.

Anyway, if the game does end up with a slew of bugs, don't worry, everybody will be complaining, me included.

van_HellSing PL
31st Mar 2004, 11:38
Performance is the smallest of my complaints about DX:IW. What I really loathe about the game is some of the gameplay design, i.e. unified ammo or lack of a skill system.

Bertuccio
1st Apr 2004, 03:32
"Quite right Whatz His Name. If your only power in the corporate world is buying what you choose what's the point of complaining?"
"They're the ones who are providing the goods and services, we are the consumers."

That is exactly the kind of thinking that lets ppl get away with making second-rate products.

TheSaber
1st Apr 2004, 06:42
I'm now asking the moderators to lock this topic. We're not getting anywhere here and I think I see the shadow of that iron claw thingy looming.
So start posting elsewhere, having fun of course.

Whatz His Name
1st Apr 2004, 14:31
Originally posted by Bertuccio
That is exactly the kind of thinking that lets ppl get away with making second-rate products.
One of the points I have been trying to put across is... how do you know the changes will make the game crappy or second rate? Until you actually get some hands on time with the final product, you won't. Everyone MAY end up loving the changes.

The other point I was trying to put across is... how can you complain about something you have not seen or experienced fully? The majority of the people that have been complaining have been basing their arguments on a few screenshots, some rumors, and vague interviews. I am all for expressing your concerns but save the complaining until the actual game comes out. I might be here complaining along side of you.

Do you think the game developers will take statements like, "the game will suck with no rope arrows and I won't buy it", more seriously than statements like, "I don't know about their decision to take away our rope arrows, won't we look like Spider-man"?

grafixmonkey
2nd Apr 2004, 08:32
Personaly I feel should be actionable (false advertisment) when a 3Ghz PC with 1G Ram and a 128M vid card can't

GggrraaAAAAAAGGGHHH!!! for the love of god, having 128MB of memory on a video card does not make it fast. It's seriously about as useful as measuring the length or weight of the card. The kind of chip makes it fast or slow NOT the memory. If you bought something with an MX on it it's your fault.

I can play DX:IW and my card is nearly three years old AND wasn't built for playing games in the first place! It's a 2.5 year old OpenGL workstation card, performing at about 60% of the speed of its equivalent gaming version in DirectX games, and I play at 640x480 to be able to have all effects on, but I can play.

You are at fault for not buying good hardware. If you buy an N64, you can't expect to play GameCube games on it. They, however, are at fault for the hundreds of other debilitating bugs, design flaws, poorly drawn artwork, lack of animation, poor models, even more bugs, level scripting problems, and crashes. I mean seriously, the gaming community had to make a texture pack for it themselves, to fix the game designers' crappy work. Now maybe someone will make an animation pack to fix all the characters being stuck with their arms floating at angles to their sides in the default "null animation" pose that they modeled the characters in.

Drop a replacement Radeon 9800 or Geforce FX 5900 XT in there, and you'll play Deus Ex 2 at 1024x768 with all features on and have a blast.

XBoxGamer
2nd Apr 2004, 08:41
If you hate the sound of the game, don't bother paying it.

===================

Edit:

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you did not read what I wrote in that other post. Watch your step, XboxGamer. You are on thin ice. Read what I wrote there, read the rules, and read the post about the Iron Claw before you post again.

And please, everybody else, do not rise to this guy's bait. Methinks we have a troll in our midst.