PDA

View Full Version : Will ThiefII-TheMetalAge demo run on my system?

Paajtor
11th Mar 2004, 09:27
I'm new to the Thief-series games - allthough I can't wait to get my hands on ThiefDS - so with all the talks about the prequels going on, I would like to try the ThiefII-demo.

I noticed on the site, that it "requieres" DirectX7.0.
This makes me wonder, whether the demo will run on a DX9.0a-system?
And on XP-Pro, with a Hercules 3DProphet 9500Pro (using Herc's Cat3.7-based drivers)?

I know, the ThiefII-graphics aren't up to today's standards (to say the least, lol), but I want to get some idea about how these games were.

Thx for any advice

P.s. I know where to find the demo.:)

HOC
11th Mar 2004, 11:15
it should run without a doubt. you'll most likely have to do the cam.cfg edit though (where ya add "safe_texture_manager" at the bottom).

Thiefinthenight
11th Mar 2004, 14:27
I have the problem running the game on my system with DX9. The Thief 2 demo is pretty buggy so dont blame your machine if it seems like your having problems.

Paajtor
11th Mar 2004, 15:34
Hmmm....I'm in doubt now, lol.:(
Ok, I was expecting it.

Never mind, I won't download it, and spare me the troubles if it goes wrong.
I will buy ThiefDS anyway.:D

thx for your replies

Thiefinthenight
11th Mar 2004, 16:51
Its a cool demo. Its a kind of rewrite on "Life of the party". Give it a try.

chimpwithalimp
11th Mar 2004, 16:53
I recently installed Thief 2 on my XP machine, having not played it since I had Win98 on my machine, and yes, I had to do that safe texture edit, but more aswell.
I noticed after playing the first level through that something was missing.. All the game and level intro movies were totally being skipped. After rooting around on various forums I discovered you need to get the Indeo Player (some video codec) to have them work properly.
I installed it and it worked perfectly, and I'm deliciously involved in the game once again

Huntress
11th Mar 2004, 20:15
I disagree that the ThiefII demo was pretty buggy!!! I even played the game for a long time without the patch and it played fine. Oh sure, it had a few things happen, get stuck or whatever, but a simple reboot/replay save game fixed it just fine and went on my merry way. Now I would also add that I'm not playing it on the newest of systems...I still use WIN98se and on two different machines where one uses a VooDoo3/3000 PCI and the other now uses an ATI Radeon 8500LE...but originally used an ATI 32Mg DDR Radeon and so on. Bottom line is that perhaps with your system you might and I say might need to make a couple of simple adjustments to get it to run, however, I would strongly recommend you play that demo as it will give a much truer version of the Thief games as they were vice a new game that has limited resemblance to the originals! Ta and Good Hunting!

Secrets Of Nosgoth
11th Mar 2004, 21:17
You should at least download it and give it a try before giving up on it if it has some bugs. And if it does odds are some of the techies here will be able to help you within a day.

Paajtor
11th Mar 2004, 23:21
Ok, maybe I'll give it a try.
I've read that the Thief-sounds have always been great anyway.:D

But I need to know precisely, how this "safe_texture_manager"-thingy works.'
I'm not afraid of editing cfg-files (some games depend on it, lol).
Is there a particular section in which I have to add that line?
Does it have a 0- or 1-value or something like that?
Is there a demo-patch?

Paajtor
14th Mar 2004, 11:30
It seems that I need to edit the user.cfg instead of the cam.cfg?

link (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77099).