PDA

View Full Version : Rewards for excellent play

chimpwithalimp
11th Mar 2004, 05:52
Here's an idea. Hows about rewarding the folks that complete the game with the option of playing again using a Garrett skin with his cloak on.

Basically, I want a cloak!

Chiefdreams
11th Mar 2004, 12:55
I remember figuring out putting the golden bones in the sarcophagus (TDP) by myself before I read it anywhere. I sent LG and Eidos an email asking if there was a prize. Sheeesh, what a dube I was.

Old Man
11th Mar 2004, 13:46
Your reward is the enjoyment you get from a job well done, chimpwithalimp. The satisfaction I get from the gameplay aspects far outweighs the trophies. The best things in life are indeed free!

Peter_Smith
11th Mar 2004, 14:24
Garrett doesn't wear a cloak while working. You can see this by taking a picture of yourself with a scouting orb in T2. I posted these in another thread on the same subject. :) I would not want a cloak myself because, as a cat burgler, it would get in the way of my movement.

HOC
11th Mar 2004, 14:43
Originally posted by Peter Smith
I would not want a cloak myself because, as a cat burgler, it would get in the way of my movement.

well, that'd be a pretty cool reward for completing the game under certain restrictions. ya get a whole new game with the cloak called "Goof". where ya trip and fumble your way through 15 levels of nonstop slapstick comedy.

Peter_Smith
11th Mar 2004, 15:02
:D:D

Lake
11th Mar 2004, 15:32
I want the bow upgrade.

Thiefinthenight
11th Mar 2004, 16:53
Rope arrows would be an awsome reward!

Mr. Perfect
11th Mar 2004, 18:10
I wonder if Constantine has a fancy dagger too...

Fossa
11th Mar 2004, 19:56
The bow upgrade definatly needs to make a return. One of the coolest features in Thief.

simont1981
12th Mar 2004, 00:30
Every movie, in both games, showed Garrett in a cloak – without it he is a medi-evil Sam Fisher, not the dark mysterious fellow we all love.

I can understand why it’s not there, this 3rd person rubbish would need to show a realistic moving cape, making a lot of work for the programmers.

My two pence :)

Paajtor
12th Mar 2004, 01:08
If I was a real thief "back then", I wouldn't want a cloak when on the job, sortof.
It restricts my movements to much, and makes to much noise when moving.

I'd only use it, when travelling amongst the civilians, out in the open.

chimpwithalimp
12th Mar 2004, 01:30
I seem to have opened a can of worms :)

I don't think wearing a cloak would cause anyone with Garretts dexterity and experience to fall about like a drunk monkey. As has been pointed out, he wears it in all of the cutscenes so the designers obviously pictured him in one. Plus, I can't see a cloak making any serious amount of noise myself.

Anyway, its only speculation. I would like the option - note option to play in a cloak as a reward, hence my original posting. If it doesn't happen no matter, it would just add to the replay value. I've played the first two at least a dozen times between them both, over many years.

Even with all the naysaying and moaning, I'm quietly confident that this game is going to be the proverbial "dogs whatsits" - and by that I mean great.

simont1981
12th Mar 2004, 02:02
The mutts nutts indeed :)

The cloak would be nice though, but like a hat in Mafia (I know you had it in SOME missions, I want it all the time!).

If it were a 'bonus' item, I think it should aid your concealment, making you harder to see...

Fossa
12th Mar 2004, 02:23
Yes, in the CUTSCENES in thief Garrett always has a cloak on. He wears one when hes not "on the job" to hide his face while strolling through the city streets, past the city watch. Use a scouting orb in Thief 2 though and you can see that you are dressed pretty much the way you are in Thief 3. I hate to shatter your dillusions but Garrett doesn't, never has, and never will wear a cloak on the job.

Besides, what would we need a cloak for as a bonus item? The Bow Upgrade is amazing, I just hope it makes a return.

van_HellSing PL
12th Mar 2004, 07:45
Actually, Garret does taff in his cloak in the intros to the games. IMO it would just be too difficult to do decent cloak animations for the game.

BrokenArts
12th Mar 2004, 13:00
That is pretty much it, to do the animation for the cloak in the entire game is too much, very hard to do. I think Garrett looks great just the way he is. :)

Lake
12th Mar 2004, 16:16
Originally posted by BrokenArts
That is pretty much it, to do the animation for the cloak in the entire game is too much, very hard to do. I think Garrett looks great just the way he is. :)

BA and Garrett sittin' in a tree.

BrokenArts
12th Mar 2004, 16:38
Anything wrong with that? http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Angel2.gif
http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Lovin-Wink.gif

Optik45
12th Mar 2004, 17:28
Originally posted by Fossa
Yes, in the CUTSCENES in thief Garrett always has a cloak on. He wears one when hes not "on the job" to hide his face while strolling through the city streets, past the city watch. Use a scouting orb in Thief 2 though and you can see that you are dressed pretty much the way you are in Thief 3. I hate to shatter your dillusions but Garrett doesn't, never has, and never will wear a cloak on the job.

Actually if Im correct in the Cutscene with Constantine, when they are discussing the job to steal the Eye, Garrett doesnt have his cloak on.

HOC
12th Mar 2004, 23:07
Originally posted by Optik45
Actually if Im correct in the Cutscene with Constantine, when they are discussing the job to steal the Eye, Garrett doesnt have his cloak on.

i think he is still wearing the cloak, just has the hood down.

imported_deadly_thief
15th Mar 2004, 21:29
maybe you can have the cloak in editor

phydeux
25th Jun 2004, 05:59
Actually, in the cutscene where Constantine and Garrett first meet, Garrett looks like he's got some kind of weird top hat thing going there. What's up with that? And those cuffs! Right out of Napoleon's army!

Rambis
25th Jun 2004, 16:08
In the opening movie for T: DS (if you idle at the main menu for a little while), Garrett is wearing a cloak when sneaking into the castle, and killing the guard. So, um, sometimes he wears his cloak on the job? It's like underwear... every other day and two pairs on Sundays?

uberam
25th Jun 2004, 18:23
The cutscene where Caduca reads the compendium, Garrett wasn't wearing a cloak.

I've also used the Orb in T2DP to look @ Garrett, and as I recall, I've never seen him in a Cloak while on the job.

Some have seen him in a cloak while on the job.

So maybe it's an off and on thing, sometimes he wears them on the job, sometimes he doesn't. But there must be a logic to the decision, a reason to why wear the cloak on the job.

Lastly, IMO, there would be no Sam Fisher had there not been a Garrett - the Godfather of stealth.

Rambis
25th Jun 2004, 18:26
Maybe he only wears his cloak when it's raining out.

I know he's a loner, but he must have at some point had a mother figure in his life to teach him such things.

wow... such a new level of realism!

By the way, I have a question: what's this "bow upgrade" I hear people talking about from previous Thief titles?

asmodian
25th Jun 2004, 23:01
sam fisher blows

Rockn-Roll
26th Jun 2004, 05:20
Batman wears a cloak on the job. Er...maybe Garret has a button on his belt and when he presses it the cloak automatically folds itself into his collar or something. Maybe it's a magic cloak and Garret can make it invisible. Perhaps each of us can have a different vision of what Garret looks like? Think out of the box instead of trying to figure out what is already in the box.

And, if it were me I'd wear the cloak. Cloaks come in handy when you want to hide...like those Elven cloaks Frodo and Sam wear on their way to Mount Doom. Haven't you ever wondered why guards walk right past you? I doubt if anyone would have a chance just standing against a wall even in the dark, but a cloak can take on a smooth shape surrounding your body and give the impression of just a shadow...well...a...Deadly Shadow...ahem. :)