PDA

View Full Version : BAH! I'm sharpening the blade!

Chiefdreams
10th Mar 2004, 01:54
All this talk about how Thief will change for the worse is probably true. But then I got to thinking...There will be those new Hammerite bastads just needing a thrashing...hahahahaha!

tealsmith
10th Mar 2004, 01:55
Yeah, you go slash them with your dagger buddy...

BrokenArts
10th Mar 2004, 02:20
Hmmm, do I sense a bit of sarcasism? :rolleyes:

Chiefdreams
10th Mar 2004, 04:24
"Mongo don't like sarcasm!"

Mr. Perfect
10th Mar 2004, 05:30
Slash? Nay, me thinkith back stab.

thiefessa
10th Mar 2004, 10:10
Maybe its because I'm female but I hate combat involving a metal blade, well....I hate combat - full stop!

The reason why I LOVE the Thief series soooooo much is because it gave the player an option to achieve the missions using stealth. I prefer to solve problems with a blackjack, or gas/noise arrow if necessary.

Thus, I was also impressed with Deus Ex (the first!) for the Stealth option also. Players, (timid and feeble!?), like me will be praying that serious combat is not absolutely necessary to enjoy Thief DS....otherwise, I fear, my passion for the game will dull, and my life hardly worth living!!!!

BrokenArts
10th Mar 2004, 12:43
I am female as well, Garrett in both T1 and T2 had plenty of combative rounds with guards, some I didn't want, but fought anyway, some I didn't stay and fight, "Run Forest run.

Of course he had other means, and he will with this game too.

I think the variety is needed to a point, it would get totally boring, at least to me to constantly hide in the shadows, and just steal. Breakout my trusty Black Jack, or yes kill if I want to. Most ghosters have their days were they do just this very thing.
Variety as they say is the spice of life.

Chiefdreams
10th Mar 2004, 15:47
Things are changing around here. :(

thiefessa
10th Mar 2004, 21:14
Laugh, in what way are things changing around here, ChiefDreams?....you sound quite worried!

SNAKE-LORD
10th Mar 2004, 22:36
i sometimes wonder where people got the idea that garret has morals.
he is a thief you know.
all that matters is the loot he takes.
replay the om's and actually listen to him say this on several ocassions.
he never takes on a mission unless there is money to be made.

Tenkahubu
10th Mar 2004, 23:00
The question of morality concerning theft is quite different to that of murder.

tealsmith
11th Mar 2004, 01:35
Originally posted by SNAKE-LORD

he never takes on a mission unless there is money to be made.

Or if the mission has his direct intrests (aka his own life) involved.

Chiefdreams
11th Mar 2004, 03:41
The game is open ended. You play it the way you like. Ghost the level then start over and slaughter everyone it's up to you.

Thiefessa, I've been here for years and this community has always been like a family. We have new family members join us and some have gone to roam the world. There has been an unusual influx of new members lately and that's fine. It's just that it seems as though some of us old timers have been sassed to by some of the younger folk.

We respect our elders here by dangy.

"Now where did I leave that iron claw. As soon as I get my walker I'm going to give them a piece of my mind!"

Old Man
11th Mar 2004, 13:43
Don't worry too much about the socially unskilled new members, CD, they'll probably get bored and wander off soon enough.

BrokenArts
11th Mar 2004, 14:14
Yeah Chief, don't worry, we all know the booze flow's and chandeliers swing much better at the Burrick anyway.

Soon, I will take picture of my chandelier that I have had restored, seriously. :D

Lake
11th Mar 2004, 15:36
Originally posted by Chiefdreams
We respect our elders here by dangy. [/i]

Silly youngin' buggin' you? :)

Mr. Perfect
11th Mar 2004, 18:04
I've gotten into the habbit of looking at a poster's registration date before I bother responding to nasty posts. :)

thiefessa
12th Mar 2004, 22:32
Hey, didn't mean to upset anyone....I'm puzzled as to why anyone would think this anyway???

If "new" members pose some sort of problem or threat, why don't you have a special section for "VIP" postings only? Otherwise, shouldn't you be welcoming all new members with open arms instead of making irrational judgements about them?

I have been a Thief fan since the first game was released, I just never bothered joining a forum before....guess this means I may not be "worthy", eh?

Oh boy, you know how to make fellow taffers feel most welcome!...or am I being the sensitive one now???!!!

Maybe I should stroll over to the Burrick Inn and prove to you all that I can arm-wrestle and swing on those chandeliers just as good as any other 'long established' Taffer....(Hic!)

Chiefdreams
12th Mar 2004, 22:46
I wasn't talking about you....
Welcome to the forum. My ranting was about new people that come on and start badmouthing others.
We are an everexpanding group that is helpful and tolerant of each other. Smacking someone verbaly is not alowed. If we are guilty then feel free to point it out.

thiefessa
12th Mar 2004, 23:05
No worries, my fault for thinking you meant me. I wasn't concentrating so I got the wrong end of the stick there, sorry Chief!

Thanks for the welcome - feelin' much better already!

BrokenArts
12th Mar 2004, 23:14
thiefessa, there have been plenty of welcomes, and I even started a thread not too long ago, welcoming all the members.

We never said you weren't worthy, you did. Some of the newer members, and I stress *SOME* have acted like trolls, and have spouted off at the mouth, and basically been rude at times. Posting with a lack of intelligent. It happens, on all forums.

Oh by the way, the Chandelier is mine, I will invite you up for a drink, how's that. :)

thiefessa
12th Mar 2004, 23:29
Yep, like I said no worries...my fault entirely for thinking you were referring to me. I must have had a serious relapse of reason there, 'paranoia' I think they call it....lol

....thanks for the invite to have a swing on yer chandelier but before I get that brave and risque...I shall need a few more drinks yet!!

Chiefdreams
13th Mar 2004, 00:49
OMG! Can I watch? Can I.....Sit between you?

"Enter blush here"

:D

BrokenArts
13th Mar 2004, 01:02
I am just climbing up now Chief. :D Sure join us. ;)

http://shadowguild.net/~brokenarts/HanginBA.jpg

Gumdrop
13th Mar 2004, 11:12
I see you are still wearing that cloak you baught with the money you stole from me! :mad: :p

FrozenNorth
13th Mar 2004, 11:40
Back to the moral of Garret for a moment in this post :D
As stated, Garret doesn't take missions unless they involve money so he can pay his rent or saving his own life :)

1) BUT on the other hand, Mission objectives on expert state clearly that you must not kill anyone (humans that is), no civilians or soldiers. I don't know if this can be called exactly moral 'cos you are being forced not to kill but if you ask me there is some sense in this.

2) Garret carried Basso out of Cragscleft (not sure how you spell it and he did it 'cos he was interested in someone Basso knew :))

3) Garret also helped Basso to get his love back in the first mission of T2 (although money was involved as well) so atleast I can say that Garret has a moral.

4) Garret took Trickster down. Why would he do that if he doesn't feel himself responsible of his actions (acquiring the eye etc). For a Thief it could be a Heaven to steal among all the chaos and fear.

In the end garret's moral is very much linked to the moral of who plays the game, some feel bad to kill innocents but some (not pointing at any1 here :D) slaughter them all and laugh at it (maniacs) :)

Gumdrop
13th Mar 2004, 15:13
Originally posted by FrozenNorth
...some feel bad to kill innocents but some slaughter them all and laugh at it... And most (that I know) enjoy the view from the fence - happy to go on a killing spree now and then just for the fun of it. All ghosting and no killing makes Garret a dull taffer. :)

thiefessa
13th Mar 2004, 21:52
LOL! Hope that chandelier is insured! :D

Chiefdreams
13th Mar 2004, 21:55
It's OK, she has a garage full of them.

Kerghan
19th Mar 2004, 11:29
Posting with a lack of intelligent. It happens, on all forums.

On some forums, it's really their bread and butter!

On the morality issue...
Garret (as a character, not a person playing as Garret) has no objection to killing guards or anyone who happens to be a direct threat to him, unless it will mess up his objectives.

I always killed guards whenever I could, because they make me mad! Damn guards with their funny looking suits and their idiotic sayings. They deserve to die. Although, using the same logic, you could also say that clowns deserve to die...which is just wrong! Unless the clown is IT. You know, IT.

So from my research we can deduce that guards = clowns, which is apparently the reason that some soft souled individuals don't like to kill them. How about that for a school report! I think it'd be worth an A++

UberMorse
24th Mar 2004, 13:00
Yes, back to the moral of Garret...

Originally posted by FrozenNorth
Back to the moral of Garret for a moment in this post :D
As stated, Garret doesn't take missions unless they involve money so he can pay his rent or saving his own life :)

1) BUT on the other hand, Mission objectives on expert state clearly that you must not kill anyone (humans that is), no civilians or soldiers. I don't know if this can be called exactly moral 'cos you are being forced not to kill but if you ask me there is some sense in this.

I thought this was about being a professional. Dead bodies could stir up wrath and unwanted attention that could haunt Garret in the future. Not so much of being nice.

2) Garret carried Basso out of Cragscleft (not sure how you spell it and he did it 'cos he was interested in someone Basso knew :))

3) Garret also helped Basso to get his love back in the first mission of T2 (although money was involved as well) so atleast I can say that Garret has a moral.

Perhaps Garret has a soft spot, well he must have some sort of feelings after all. But Basso was the way to money and if I remember correctly Garret states that he would not normaly have helped Basso if there wasnt for Lady Rumsford rich estate.

4) Garret took Trickster down. Why would he do that if he doesn't feel himself responsible of his actions (acquiring the eye etc). For a Thief it could be a Heaven to steal among all the chaos and fear.

I always saw that as mainly revenge over the eye he lost. But several aspects come in to play here. Its true as you say, Garret could feel responsible. Its also possible that Garret knows he is the only one capable of stopping the Trickster, who will change the world as Garret knows it.

In the end garret's moral is very much linked to the moral of who plays the game, some feel bad to kill innocents but some (not pointing at any1 here :D) slaughter them all and laugh at it (maniacs) :)

Very true, I have my own clear cut image of who and what Garret is and Im sure you do too and they probably dont match :)

To me, Garret is the best and most intresting character out there among all games, perhaps one of the reasons is that he is a subjedt for speculation in his motives.