PDA

View Full Version : TG is making up memory errors that don't exist

Rommel_1891
10th Mar 2004, 01:42
WinXP Home
AMD 3200+ (400 FSB)
512 MB DDR400
128 8x GeForce FX 5200

Last night the game ran fine, now it comes up with some BS error that says "You have xM of free disk space. Thief requires 35M. Theif cannot run."

What caused this to do that overnight? I haven't installed any programs. Other than a few other games and MS Office, there isn't much to tell.

I've gone through the cfg files I could find in the root but found nothing. I reinstalled making sure it was a full install, nothing. It bogles my mind that the stupid game ran fine for weeks and now it's magically taffed up. All my other stuff is just fine. Stupid computers.

theBlackman
10th Mar 2004, 02:14
As has been said many times. Make a folder named anything you want on the THIEF partition/folder, if you have them under one heading. Stuff about 40 meg of crap in it and restart THIEF.

It seems that the inability of THIEF to read partitions larger than 2 gig causes this.

I had the same thing pop up. The new "folder" solved the problem.

Old Man
10th Mar 2004, 02:36
Sorta like keeping peace in a marriage, Rommel. Just make her happy. It doesn't have to make any sense to you.

Rommel_1891
10th Mar 2004, 16:49
Wow, that was really really really weird... but now TG works. Thanks tBm :)

What still confuses the taff outta me is why it worked fine for so long. I've only had this current setup for a few weeks while TG has worked fine, but I had the same OS and the SAME HD before for a couple years and TG never had a problem. :confused:

bravus
10th Mar 2004, 18:32
You didn't think computers were logical, mechanical and Newtonian, did you? It's voodoo, voodoo I tells ya. Sacrificing a black rooster and drinking some rum would have much the same effect as propitiating the loas with an offering of hard drive space (the '40 meg of crap' folder).

theBlackman
10th Mar 2004, 20:40
Originally posted by bravus
You didn't think computers were logical, mechanical and Newtonian, did you? It's voodoo, voodoo I tells ya. Sacrificing a black rooster and drinking some rum would have much the same effect as propitiating the loas with an offering of hard drive space (the '40 meg of crap' folder).

Tell me how the rooster and the rum work, next time you have a problem Bravus. :D :p

bravus
10th Mar 2004, 21:08
The rum *always* works well! ;) Actually, accidentally cutting yourself when installing something in the computer and getting blood inside is also said to gauarantee a stable, reliable machine...

SNAKE-LORD
10th Mar 2004, 23:52
Originally posted by bravus
The rum *always* works well! ;) Actually, accidentally cutting yourself when installing something in the computer and getting blood inside is also said to gauarantee a stable, reliable machine...

i have always added blood to a new system.
it does for computers what motor oil does for cars.
ps. that must be the rum talkin hic hic hiccup.... :D