PDA

View Full Version : They ruined our favorite game!

Boogalou
7th Mar 2004, 11:07
Thief 1 & 2 are without a doubt myself and my wifes favorite games of all time. I've spent countless hours not only playing, but creating mods for both games. So what follows pains me deeply.

Spector says, "but when you're spotted by a guard, I wanted another option for the player besides running away and hiding for a minute and a half."

Good lord! That's what the game is about. You shouldn't be able to mindlessly hack and slash your way through the game! Thief 1 and 2 were ground breaking. You had to sneak your way through levels instead of blasting your way through like Quake. What Spector says is complete and utter idiocy. A thief SHOULD need to run from guards and hide for a minute and a half or MORE. That's what makes the game so rich. If you get spotted there are consequences. The above statement leads me to believe that this game is intended for 15 year olds that have not the attention span for a Thief like game. I am so discouraged, and disgusted. Spector should be lynched for what he's undoubtedly done to a masterpiece of a game. The Thief franchise was obviously purchased in order to sell out for money. Thief 3 will be disgusting. Why is it that incompetent boobs always destroy something beautiful?

Disgusted, Boog and Company

coldplay_josh_106
7th Mar 2004, 13:05
HEY MAN! IM 16 AND I LOVE THIEF! were not all FPS fans!

DreamEndless
7th Mar 2004, 14:17
So, Boogalou, you played it then? No? Got a full copy? Read a review? No? PLayed a demo? No?

Gonna turn the water works and drama off till you do?:)

thegrommit
7th Mar 2004, 14:50
Originally posted by DreamEndless
So, Boogalou, you played it then? No? Got a full copy? Read a review? No? PLayed a demo? No?

Aww, come on. He must have played the game. After all, the only other option to sitting in the shadows is fighting. It isn't possible to distract a guard by shooting out some distant lamp or using a noisemaker arrow. Remember, there is only ever one way to get around a guard.

The above was brought to you by sarcasm®, sprinkle it on your morning coffee every day!!

DreamEndless
7th Mar 2004, 14:58
Originally posted by thegrommit
Aww, come on. He must have played the game. After all, the only other option to sitting in the shadows is fighting. It isn't possible to distract a guard by shooting out some distant lamp or using a noisemaker arrow. Remember, there is only ever one way to get around a guard.

The above was brought to you by sarcasm®, sprinkle it on your morning coffee every day!!

ROFL:D

Acronomic
11th Mar 2004, 17:05
Originally posted by Boogalou

Spector says, "but when you're spotted by a guard, I wanted another option for the player besides running away and hiding for a minute and a half."

Good lord! That's what the game is about. You shouldn't be able to mindlessly hack and slash your way through the game!

That's obviously not what he meant.

Thief-punk
11th Mar 2004, 18:06
Another "I know all there is to know about Thief 3 before they even released a demo, and without a doubt it will suck"-post.

I mean, come on. Don't act like a moron Boogalou...

simont1981
12th Mar 2004, 00:21
Its shocking to see you flame the guy like this, he, like me, is worried that Thief III will be just another cash driven sequel.

I'm proud to say, my first ever PC game was Thief, in fact I had to buy a second copy, as I managed to wear the first out, well, it got in bad shape.

Ever since playing Thief, my style of play has changed, every game I've played since (mainly FPS ones), I try to do things alone and without too much ruckus. Heck, I even played most of Hidden and Dangerous 2 as a single soldier - I can never be comfortable working with an AI.

As an ex mod maker (who sadly never had time to finish anything - doh!), and a long standing member of the ancient Taffers mailing group (from "Thief the site maker"), I look forward to Thief III like the rest of you, but as a long standing fan, I can't help feel uneasy as to what they will do wrong.

Bear this in mind: From what I have read recently, Deus Ex II has failed PC fans, obviously tailored for the console market, it has been a big let down to the original fans. Let’s see if Thief III goes the same way....

bonobp
13th Mar 2004, 14:24
the original poster is right. there should be less fighting, not more. hell, if spector wants other options, he should give garret flash grenades like thief2, or smoke granedes, chloroforme arrows, invisiblility potions, maybe pepper spray?? dunno, but plz not something as unoriginal as "hit enemy with dagger until dead or running away".

edit: and yes, DX:IW was a disapointment in some ways. maybe 50% of the changes turned it into something better, the other 50% into something worse. overall, it was simply "different" than DX1, but not as good as it could have been. it seems they rushed it.

Ion Storm simply doesn´t realize that if you want more ppl to buy your game, the key is simply better graphics, not blindly simplifing content (every1 who looks at HL2-trailer goes "boah, i need to have this game", no matter if game is complicated or not)

Acronomic
13th Mar 2004, 14:52
*sigh*

You don't have to fight! It's optional!

:rolleyes:

bonobp
13th Mar 2004, 14:57
yeah, but will it improve gameplay to have multiple gameplay-styles merged into one? don´t think so. better optimize the game for 1 and skip the rest. thief is not deus ex.

but does this mean there will be at least an option to turn fighting off? like in thief there was no killing on hardest difficulty (although this was poorly implemented)

van_HellSing PL
13th Mar 2004, 16:31
like in thief there was no killing on hardest difficulty (although this was poorly implemented) Say what? What exactly do you mean by poorly implemented?

And yes, Thief isn't DX. Deus is a swiss army knife, Thief is a scalpel. But the idea of completely removing combat is ridiculous. Sorry, but you are what I call a ghost-troll. Thief wasn't made for ghosting, it's something the players invented. While the game is based mainly on stealth, it's good to have some other options if it fails.

Morpheus445
14th Mar 2004, 14:56
I watched the interview and they never mentioned that you would be able to hack and slash your way through the game. They just said you will have more options at your disposal so that when you get caught you can do cinematic like escape sequences like jumping over a railing and blinding the guards above etc. Plus, since when did the game control you? If you don't want to hack and slash your way through, you have the free will not to. Now, even though I am arguing against the view I am sceptical whether Ion Storm is trying to make this an fantastic game or not. I am an advocater of the ghosting methods etc. but just don't assume like that because an assumption is dangerous ground to walk on...