PDA

View Full Version : Thief 3, a new hope.

Fossa
7th Mar 2004, 00:28
You know, I'm looking at what they've given us, looking at all the things that I and others are both excited about and terrified of, and something hits me.

Lets look at the positive things about Thief 3. Spectacular engine, great physics, amazing AI, and most of the core features we loved from the old games right down to the classic sound effects.

Now, some of the major issues involve a lack of continuity from the previous 2 leaving the story unfinished, some of the base gameplay changes such as wall climbing gloves in place of rope arrows, and then some stuff which is purely fluff such as a dagger in place of a sword.

At first glance I was despondant, feeling rather depressed, faced with the fact that Thief Deadly Shadows (Don't think I will ever refer to it as Thief 3 again) was seemingly forgetting the real fans in order to appeal to a broader (and forgive my arrogance) but less intelligent, patient, delliberate audience.

Today though I had what I would call a revelation. The unreal engine is one of the most modifiable engines in existance. The code structure is easy to work with and modify, the worldbuilding tools are superb, and with any real effort the SDK they release will support everything the fanbase would need to essentially redo the game and do it right (in a worst case scenario).

If the game is great, well, then, wonderful. I still have my hopes.
If it isn't, well, it is certainly appealing to a broader audience and it will set the stage for fans of the series itself (as opposed to fans of the allmighty dollar) to go in, do it right, and deliver what the true fans are looking for and get some new fans from the popularity of the original release simotaneously.
Basically, its a win either way. Whether the game is good or bad, with a bit of work, it can and will in fact be great.

Peter_Smith
7th Mar 2004, 00:46
Thanks Fossa:) I am glad to see some optimism for a change. Your new hope is predecated on the availability of an editor (SDK). It was mentioned by a developer (null) at Ion Storm's forum that an SDK is not planned for the initial release, but he implied that it might be made available (presumably later) if we made our voices heard. We all need to lobby Eidos and Ion storm to make it happen. Please go here to read and sign the petition. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33965) Writing letters can't hurt either. Note that the petition's web site might be very slow to respond. Please have patience and wait it out. :)

GlasW0lf
7th Mar 2004, 01:50
Thanks for the plug, Peter. :) We are still working on the thiefpetition site design, things can be incredibly slow when The Real World keeps butting in. The letter writing campaign is priority 1 as soon as it's complete.

HOC
7th Mar 2004, 02:34
i know this isn't the thread concerning the petition, but has there been any updates from null or IS concerning it? i'm seeing only 367 sigs on the petition itself...not a very uplifting number. but there's still time.

GlasW0lf
7th Mar 2004, 04:14
Null said in his initial comment that it was purely an Eidos thing, so I'm not expecting any response from IS. The sigs so far are purely within the Thief community, once we have a site worth advertising we'll look towards the more mainstream news sites etc.

Fossa
7th Mar 2004, 04:51
Yes, I know my hope hinges entirely on the release of the SDK, but its the only hope I have and a welcome change to my otherwise pessimitic view on the future of the franchise. I do, however, feel its a well founded hope as they have been generally good in the past about releasing SDK's when appropriate and this is most definatly an appropriate instance. Looking at the quantity and quality of the FMMs that arose from Thief 1 and 2 and how they brought interest and life to the series, Eidos would be quite foolish to overlook what would bring them increased sales and good karma (which may or may not be necesary pending the release of the game :D) simotaneously.

HOC
7th Mar 2004, 09:08
Originally posted by GlasW0lf
Null said in his initial comment that it was purely an Eidos thing, so I'm not expecting any response from IS. The sigs so far are purely within the Thief community, once we have a site worth advertising we'll look towards the more mainstream news sites etc.

have ya had time to float around the web and post the link on review sites or gaming sites in general?

if not, maybe some of the forum members (other than myself, since i'm willing) can knock up other sites and spread the word about the petition. should be good to gather another set of sigs.

GlasW0lf
7th Mar 2004, 20:13
Like I said, we're waiting to have a respectable looking site before looking towards the mainstream channels. Once that's done (and I'll post it here of course) we'll have a much better chance of getting some coverage.