PDA

View Full Version : Optical/Wheel mice?

John D.
6th Mar 2004, 03:31
My mouse that came with the T2200 e-machine last year seems to be failing, I just bought a cheap microsoft wheel mouse to replace the thing, but the pointer has a disturbing tendency to skip around when I'm using the thing. (It came with no kind of installation disk at all) I'm taking it back tommorrow and I was wondering, I have seen optical mice built by Logtech-anybody know how well they work? Or should I just opt for a conventional Microsoft wheel mouse instead?

Stile451
6th Mar 2004, 06:01
Microsoft mice don't need any added software, although there is some for the intellimouse series(downloadable from microsoft).

As for Logitech, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my MX500, it's best mouse I've ever used in fact.

Mr. Perfect
6th Mar 2004, 07:49
I've got the Microsoft wheel mouse optical, and it's a nice comfortable mouse. It does come with special software for whatever reason. Never skimp on your rodent. :)

Old Man
6th Mar 2004, 10:35
I've used the optical Intellimouse for a few years now and it's great. Only thing is, if you're planning on doing any 'twitch' gaming like Quake or UnReal or whatever that requires very quick mouse movements it has a tendancy to get 'lost' occasionally. And it takes a second or so to reorient yourself and carry on = dead. I think that's the optical part of it. And I'm just using it on my desktop, no mousepad.

thegrommit
6th Mar 2004, 15:43
Originally posted by Salvage
As for Logitech, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my MX500, it's best mouse I've ever used in fact.

Agreed. Though the only reason you need the Mouseware software is to reprogram the extra buttons.

Peter_Smith
7th Mar 2004, 06:18
I have used three Logitec optical mice- the basic version with simple shape, two buttons and a wheel. All are still going strong. I like them a lot. Never again would I consider a mechanical mouse.

John D.
7th Mar 2004, 13:52
Ok, I've taken the Microsoft mouse back. After some serious cleaning, I think there is some life left in my old mouse so I'll stick to that right now. But when it goes out, I think I'll give logtech a try.

SNAKE-LORD
11th Mar 2004, 00:21
i got an el-cheapo optic mouse for like $10 at comp-usa.
it came with a disk.
not sure why micro-soft comes without a disk.
considering how big of a company they are compared to the company that made the mouse i have.
you think it would be the other way around.
i have never had any problems with the the buy it cheap method.
all my $$$ goes into constatly upgrading my computer or to buying booze,smokes,coffee,and computer games.

Peter_Smith
11th Mar 2004, 03:28
Originally posted by John D.
After some serious cleaning, I think there is some life left in my old mouse so I'll stick to that right now. But when it goes out, I think I'll give logtech a try.

The problem is, they always need a cleaning. They seldom go out. So, don't wait for it to go out. After the next few cleanings, ask yourself, "Why am I doing this?" :)

John D.
3rd Apr 2004, 13:36
Ok, I've gotten sick of the new problems with my old mouse so I now have a new logtech optical mouse. It seems to work very well in games so far. I have one question though, every once in a while it seems the arrow will skip across the screen for some reason when I move it. Is there any way to correct this, or is that just a part of the optical function?

Vanguard
4th Apr 2004, 08:46
My last cordless optical mouse (Logitech) got damaged. No, I'm not going to say how. Anyway, I figured it was about time to try some other cordless optical mice.

I first tried the IBM cordless because it was lightest. However, it skipped way too much in games. I upped the sample rate in the device properties and it helped but not nearly enough. Also tried upping the buffer size but that had no effect. The sleep mode (i.e., power-saving mode) was horrific. It would go to sleep very quickly, something like within a minute. It does not use a low-power detect of motion for its sensor. Instead it polls for a change and the poll is fixed. So you can move the mouse all you want but it won't come alive until about 3 seconds after moving the mouse. This is too long.

Then I got the Microsoft Blue cordless optical. It was a bit heavier than the IBM but had the same skipping problem. Neither the IBM nor Microsoft could keep up even with sampling rate at its highest value. This one took a bit longer to go to sleep but still took too long to wake up.

I ended up going back to the Logitech mouse. Don't need to up the sampling rate at all on this one. Doesn't go to sleep after being idle for a lot longer then the other two. And it wakes up very fast. However, the Logitech was also the shortest lived for battery life because of these attributes. So I got 2 sets of rechargeable batteries and a charger. When the ones in the mouse go dead, I have a charged set waiting. Now they have their MX400 that sits in a charging cradle because they realized that it consume power faster than advertised and quicker than the others. The Logitech is the heaviest of the three and it becomes very noticable after a long session with the mouse because my little pinkie, definitely not the strongest finger, gets tired having to grip the mouse in constantly holding the mouse during movement and having to squeeze it to lift and move it. That's why I was looking at the lighter weight mice.

I'd probably go back to a trackball but the only one that has a good weight for the ball, moves very freely (you can even spin it), built tought, and a good size for fingers to move a goodly distance so it isn't overly sensitive was, for me, the Kensington Expert Mouse. But it's just too pricey. Someday, though, I just have to get rid of the mouse because my pinky needs the rest.