PDA

View Full Version : Thief 2 - 4 speakers not detected.

stella01
5th Mar 2004, 03:56
Hi,
Ever since I've used DirectX 8 , I can never get Thief 2 to play with 4 speakers. I've had 3 seperate PCs (Intel and AMD- with SBLive, Audigy 1 and onboard soundcard capable of 4 speakers (NForce chipset) and Thief 2 would never use 4 speakers - only stereo sound using 4 speakers. I currently have AMD 2600+ with Asus MB NForce chipset.

I have up to date sound drivers. Thief 2 is fully patched.

I've made sure under Windows (ie, XP), 4 speakers or more is set in multimedia control panel, and under Creative Mixer, again, 4 speaker option (or more) is set (in fact, now, when you set one, you set the other)

EAX Works fine in Thief 2, and other games work fine with 4 speakers. Its just Thief 2 (and Thief 1) that doesn't.

In thief (both), under speaker test, I hear - "left" / "right", and it never detects that I have 4 speakers - "rear left" "rear right".

I like thief, its excellent, I really want to play it, but not with 2 speakers - 4 only.

I can't go back to Win 98 + DirectX 7 again, unfortunately.

Any suggestions? *Much* appreciated.

Thanks

theBlackman
6th Mar 2004, 04:01
Originally posted by stella01
. Its just Thief 2 (and Thief 1) that doesn't.

In thief (both), under speaker test, I hear - "left" / "right", and it never detects that I have 4 speakers - "rear left" "rear right".

I like thief, its excellent, I really want to play it, but not with 2 speakers - 4 only.
Thanks

Thief only recognizes two speakers. You say you have tweaked the sound card for 4 speakers. Thief does not have four sound channels.

You might get some sound from the "rear" speakers but it will probably be the same as that from the front. Surround sound is not part of the THIEF files.

Play the game anyway.

stella01
6th Mar 2004, 05:29
I'm primarily talking about Thief 2, which does support surround sound speakers - why - because I've had in working in DirectX7.

Stile451
6th Mar 2004, 05:56
The Dark Engine does not support surround sound, only stereo.

However, your nForce motherboard may support surround encoding on the fly which would give you surround all the time.

If you have one, set your receiver to Pro Logic II Movie(as opposed to direct) with EAX on in the game. That should give you sound from all speakers.

BTW, DirectX has all of the previous versions of DirectX included. Meaning DirectX 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are all included in DirectX 9.