PDA

View Full Version : Those gloves sound retarded

Deadly Thief
2nd Mar 2004, 00:35
i think these wall climbing gloves are going to ruin the game. its gonna make it too easy. not to mention the fact that it is soooo unrealistic. i mean. is it just me, or does that just sound like a really stupid idea. why would u replace the classic rope arrows for that piece of ****. if any of u game designers are reading this. get rid of that garbage. Dont butch this classic seriers becuase u want it to appeal to uninteligent console gamers that need all the help they can get when there playing these kind of skilled games.
if anyone else agrees with what im saying. id like to hear it. and i think so would the game designers.

CarllTDS
2nd Mar 2004, 00:50
..and don't forget the climbing boots:rolleyes: likes whats climbing gloves without climbing boots? LOL......Look out here comes spiderGarrett!!!:D

thegrommit
2nd Mar 2004, 00:57
I'll ask the same questions I've asked before.

Have you played the game? Do the gloves have limited useful life? Are there limitations as to where they can be used? Can you use them to hang from a beam? Are they essential? When can they be purchased (we know they have to be bought at some point in the game).

I assume you have the answers to all these questions to be able to make a definitive statement on how retarded they are :)

triniphen
2nd Mar 2004, 01:41
speaking of climbing shoes, check out some of the screenies. if you added bunny ears to his shoes he'd have a nice pair of slippers. oh and is Garrett only 4 ******** feet tall now or what!? perhaps he should steal the countess' prenatal vitamins or eat an orange for christ sake. the moldy bread, dehydrated carrot diet doesnt seem to be helping

http://www.worthplaying.com/press/128/thief_deadlyshadow_06.jpg

HOC
2nd Mar 2004, 04:16
those aren't even boots. those are....his pants?!?!

i still think the only way the WCG will be great is through level design. having them and then using them wherever during whatever levels they're available will kill some, if not all of the fun.

triniphen
2nd Mar 2004, 05:33
HIS PANTS!!!! jeeze is he in his jammies with the feet? heh heh i had those, poo-bear to be precise. and i was 5 for the smart ***** out there.

Tenkahubu
2nd Mar 2004, 11:45
Real-life climbers can do some remarkable things, so there is no reason that Garret shouldnt be able to climb.
It should be quite a noisy operation though. Especially if he is using some kind of metal claw to get better handholds.
But if he can climb on smooth surfaces or crawl around on the ceiling like spiderman I think it will be a very bad thing.

Personally I would like to see IonStorm consult professional climbers on realism, rather than simply rip-off the spiderman game in order to make the game fit their own misguided idea of fun.
I thought the 1st two games were quite realistic (within limits),
That was their strong point, I hope some one realises this.

Acronomic
2nd Mar 2004, 15:01
Originally posted by Tenkahubu
Real-life climbers can do some remarkable things, so there is no reason that Garret shouldnt be able to climb.

Yeah! There's absolutely no reason why he couldn't climb walls! And I seriously don't think the gloves are metal claws and he can't stick to the roof, just watch the trailer!

Jareware
2nd Mar 2004, 15:13
The use of the WCG will probably be as limited as the use of rope arrows was in T 1/2. RA would not stick in any other surface than wood (well, vine arrows would on grillwork), so I'm guessing the 'gloves only work on very rough wall materials, for example stone walls that have cracks in them, in which Garrett's fingers fit. What I'm saying is that rope arrows could (in general ;)) only be used in places where level designers intended for Garrett to be able to work his way around the levels vertically. The 'gloves will probably do exactly the same thing.

I too mourn for the loss of the rope arrow, but I don't think the 'gloves are going to be retarded in any way. Unless the level designs turn out to be extremely flawed. Which I doubt.

-JR-

van_HellSing PL
2nd Mar 2004, 16:09
Sheesh, there are more important to rant about than the WCG :rolleyes:. For example, the loading zones. Think of it: a guard is chasing you, you run like hell to the nearest loading zone and POOF! the guard magically dissapears!

HOC
2nd Mar 2004, 17:10
Originally posted by van_HellSing PL
Sheesh, there are more important to rant about than the WCG :rolleyes:. For example, the loading zones. Think of it: a guard is chasing you, you run like hell to the nearest loading zone and POOF! the guard magically dissapears!

well, guards are posted in certain areas for a reason. and if the chief finds out any of his guards clicked "yes" to moving to another area, there's gonna be hell to pay.

thegrommit
2nd Mar 2004, 22:43
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34351

:p

lzb
5th Mar 2004, 04:22
I agree with you,Deadly Thief

Well, the situation is like this:

When you want to avoid a guard which comes toward you,use the gloves to climb up the wall ! (which the rope arrow can't do this and the gloves will make the game easier.....for the X-BOX player)

coldplay_josh_106
6th Mar 2004, 15:59
not to mention the fact that it is soooo unrealistic

And Rope arrows are? think about it man, a rope arrow would snap the moment u tried to climb it!

Paajtor
6th Mar 2004, 18:00
Yeah, to compensate that, the arrow would have to be very heavy...together with the attached rope, the total weight of the device would be unrealisticly high.

The only realistic use of a rope/arrow combination that I can think of, is when you fire a thin rope with an arrow to another guy that then pulls-in the thin rope...at the end, a thicker rope is attached, that he will tie to a post/rock/tree/whatever.
Pretty much like a ship, that docks in.

Kayscha
8th Mar 2004, 23:10
Just to mention this here, it has been confirmed (pretty sure it hadn't before) by null that climbing will involve special 'climbable' surfaces. The team is trying to make them at the same time recognizeable but not too obvious.
This likely will rule out spiderman scenarios but still not explain why you shouldn't be able to climb at all without the gloves.

Paajtor
9th Mar 2004, 09:09
Yes, that was my impression too, when I saw that German gameplay-movie...the surfaces seem made for climbing, sortof.:)

but still not explain why you shouldn't be able to climb at all without the gloves.
Maybe it's to make sure you're the only one in town who can do it?
You can't use talcum- or magnesium-powder...this would leave a beautiful trail on the walls.:p
I could imagine a pair of gloves like this, but made in those days: made out of shark-skin.:)

goofa6641
9th Mar 2004, 13:29
I've heard he can fire string from the palm of his hand!
The gloves may not be a good idea, but they have to be better than the slow fall potion and invisability potion.

HOC
9th Mar 2004, 14:45
Originally posted by goofa6641
The gloves may not be a good idea, but they have to be better than the slow fall potion and invisability potion.

the mentioning of the slowfall potion got me thinking...although it has nothing to do with the potion, but falling in general.

were the gloves brought in so people could hop from ledges and not have to worry about missing the rope, or another ledge? and thus remove the loss of health/life?