PDA

View Full Version : system requirements?

dan2550
1st Mar 2004, 13:04
does anyone know what the system requirements are going to be? in 1 and 2 my computer had to struggle at times, and i may just need to buy a new system to play 3

Tin Star
1st Mar 2004, 13:52
I don't know but I would think they would be about the same as they are for DX-IW or at least close to them.

Tin Star

thegrommit
2nd Mar 2004, 00:47
If you're running the same computer as you were when you played Thief2, it's definitely time to upgrade.

Quillan
2nd Mar 2004, 04:39
Ok, let's see here, dug up some old info:

<b>Thief 2: The Metal Age system requirements</b>

Minimum Specifications:

266 MHz Pentium II or equivalent
Windows 95/98
48 MB RAM
DirectX 7.0 compliant 3D accelerated video card
DirectX 7.0 compliant sound card
DirectX 7.0 or higher (included)
4X CD-ROM Drive
250MB uncompressed hard drive space
Keyboard and Mouse

<b>Deus Ex: Invisible War system requirements</b>

<b>SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS</b>

Operating System:
Windows 98SE/2000/XP (95/NT not supported)
CPU: Intel Pentium(R) IV 1.3ghz
(or AMD Athlon XP (TM) equivalent)BR
RAM: 256 MB
GRAPHICS: 32 MB DirectX 9.x compatible 3D graphics cards*
SOUND: 100% DirectX 9.x compatible
CD-ROM: Quad Speed (4X) CD-ROM drive
HARD DRIVE: 2GB free disk space
INPUT DEVICES: 100% Windows 98 SE/2000/XP compatible mouse and keyboard

<b>RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS</b>

CPU: Intel Pentium(R) IV 1.5ghz (or AMD Athlon XP (TM) equivalent)
RAM: 512 MB
GRAPHICS: 128 MB DirectX 9.x compatible 3D graphics cards*
HARD DRIVE: 2GB free disk space
*Supported Chipsets - nVidia GeForce 3TI/4TI/FX (GeForce MX not supported)
& ATi Radeon 8500/9xxx or higher {Pixel Shader required}

The engine they are using for Thief 3 is the same engine they used in DX: IW, so the system requirements are going to be very similar. Most importantly, you MUST have a video card that is fully DirectX 8 or higher compliant. As the previous poster said, if your system had problems with the first two Thief games, you are going to need probably a complete rebuild to upgrade to play Thief 3.

Peter_Smith
2nd Mar 2004, 07:00
Publishers historically tend to estimate low on computer requirements. My system for Thief 2 (Athlon 1.2 and Geforce 4 Ti 4200) is much faster than quoted in the specs, and some missions are still choppy. Minimum does not mean enjoyable. From what I have heard, I personally would not want anything below an Athlon 1800+ and a Radeon 9600 Pro for T3. The graphics card is more important than the CPU in this case. This is based on guesswork, not real data. If you have a system much less than that, I would suggest you start saving money for an upgrade. I would also suggest that if your system is marginal you might try it first and upgrade after you have actual experience.

harleygjc
8th Mar 2004, 18:27
I've recently bought a new system mainly for paying games and mostly for the upcomng thief3 but found the fact that it may not be supporting the Geforce 4 mx 440 (My card by the way!) very annoying! I'm on very limited means and have no way of buying or replacing this card which until now I've found to be very good! it's a pity that the developers can't find a way to make thief 3 tailor it self around each users system regardless of the graphics card!

Chiefdreams
8th Mar 2004, 18:38
You can get an ATI 9600 pro/256 mb shipped to you for under $100 US.
http://www.buycyberpc.com/

DX 9 card.

I know that $100 might as well be a zillion to some folks but I'm just trying to help. I played the DXI demo with my Radeon 8500 card and it did great.

Venefyxatu
8th Mar 2004, 19:05
Originally posted by harleygjc
the fact that it may not be supporting the Geforce 4 mx 440 (My card by the way!) very annoying!
it's a pity that the developers can't find a way to make thief 3 tailor it self around each users system regardless of the graphics card!

While true, there's a very simple explanation for this... if the engine requires at least DirectX 8, a DirectX 7 card just won't do it...

Originally posted by Peter Smith
Publishers historically tend to estimate low on computer requirements.
I often find myself playing a game on a system that doesn't even meet the minimum requirements. Of couse, I have to turn off most of the cool options, play it with very little detail, etc etc.. But if you're willing to live with that, you can play a lot without upgrading your system every week :D

clayman
8th Mar 2004, 23:35
It sounds from the above as though my proposed replacement for my old 1.4 ghtz proc/256 RAM/nVidia GeForce 2 GTS 32mb system might be enough :

3.2 ghtz w/ 800 mhtz fsb
1 gb 400mhtz DDR SDRAM
NVIDIA 256 mb GeForce FX 5950G vid card
+ all appropriate bells and whistles....

True ? :)

Chiefdreams
9th Mar 2004, 00:46
Clayman, check out "Lets revisit 5-31-2000"
over at The Crippled Burrick Inn.

thegrommit
9th Mar 2004, 01:08
Originally posted by clayman
It sounds from the above as though my proposed replacement for my old 1.4 ghtz proc/256 RAM/nVidia GeForce 2 GTS 32mb system might be enough :

3.2 ghtz w/ 800 mhtz fsb
1 gb 400mhtz DDR SDRAM
NVIDIA 256 mb GeForce FX 5950G vid card
+ all appropriate bells and whistles....

True ? :)

Yes - though you might get slightly better performance with a 128MB card due to the faster memory (256MB ones often have slower memory) :cool: