PDA

View Full Version : Lack of water a joke?

Jareware
27th Feb 2004, 23:37
I know this has been discussed in many threads before, but as one Acorn pointed out in a thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33361) dealing with the official site of Thief: DS, there is surprisingly lot of water present in concept art chosen to be visible to everyone on the site.

Now, of course, this may seem like wishful thinking, but why is there a submerged room in one of the drawings? Why is one of the few AIM avatars chosen for us to download a mermaid (or whatever of the like anyway)? Why does the Trailers-section feature the same underwater theme, complete with fish swimming to and fro? And finally, the map (I'll assume it is one) in the concept art section shows a river, which is stated to "connect to a larger body of water".

What if the whole water-issue is just a joke by the dev team? The joke being that there is more than enough water in the game and it somehow ties very closely to the plotline. An underwater city of some kind?

I know this may sound silly. But the idea got my hopes up. :)

Any thoughts on this?

-JR-

tealsmith
27th Feb 2004, 23:44
According to the Dev team, there is water, just none that is swimable. You can wade however. This really comes as a surprise. But then again, look at Deus Ex 2. I never played the game myself but apparently it has a rather large lack of H20.

Jareware
27th Feb 2004, 23:49
Yes I know that you are supposed to be able to wade in the water but not swim in it. But the almost-complete lack of water in DE2 might also be one of the reasons the dev team migh want to poke a little fun at this.

I've got my fingers crossed. ;)

-JR-