PDA

View Full Version : new fm

raetsel
26th Feb 2004, 08:32
i just released a small fm (was originally for komag's contest #4).
it's at least a bit amusing ;)
with briefing (18.9 mb) (http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=masque) & without briefing (15 mb) (http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=masque_nb)

cheers

Old Man
26th Feb 2004, 08:36
Thanks, raetsel. Got it. Will probably play it right now too. hehe

Nightwalker
26th Feb 2004, 15:10
This is a really interesting and very fun FM. It's small so doesn't take long to play but it has a lot packed into a very small package, not to mention some unique features that are great! You all should definitely have a go at it. :)

John D.
26th Feb 2004, 23:55
Great job Raetsel!:) I enjoyed the 'party gone horribly wrong' atmosphere!:)

Lyril
27th Feb 2004, 09:09
Terrific, I thought. A smallish mission. I have started downloading it. It will take almost 5 hours.
Oh bum.

raetsel
27th Feb 2004, 17:27
thanks you two! :)

@Lyril - yeah, there are quite a few custom objects/motions/sounds and etc. that make a little mission a bit large in file-size (i was even kind of surprised at how relatively little removing the briefing affected the file size :p)

Eshaktaar
27th Feb 2004, 18:42
This was fun! :) The party atmosphere is great, and I love those window frames which cast interesting shadows on the floor. The dancing motions are funny, especially the dancing haunt is hilarious to look at.

Thanks for making this FM, raetsel!

Peter_Smith
28th Feb 2004, 09:11
This is a terrific little mission, raetsel.:D It is too bad that you didn't have it ready for the contest. I think it would have won in several categories - possibly game play, use of space, art, custom objects / scripts. Anyway, I was very glad to play it now. I recognized one woman doing a dance from the 60's or 70's, with that hand motion. Also, it seems faithful to Poe's story, which is pretty remarkable. Good work, and I hope to see more.:)

Lyril
28th Feb 2004, 23:12
Still (impatiently) trying to download it.
Is this based on Poe's 'Masque of the Red Death'? I noticed Peter's mention of Poe. That's one of my favourite short stories.

I really like how fm's are taking existing plots and using them, - like Garrett and the Beanstalk. Delicious. Lots of scope there.

Peter_Smith
29th Feb 2004, 01:37
Originally posted by Lyril
Is this based on Poe's 'Masque of the Red Death'?
Yes, and well done, too.:) Like the colors of the rooms are as Poe described. I need to go back and re-read that story.

Lyril
29th Feb 2004, 06:58
It was just gorgeous. The rooms were much as I'd imagined them whenever I've read the story (without the ebony clock) but - oh the guests!!

I will never read that story again without seeing a dancing haunt, a sloshed pagan, an apebeast and a surly Mech servant. That story used to give me nightmares years ago. Never again.

raetsel
29th Feb 2004, 20:19
thanks for the feedback :)

as for the ebony clock... at the time when i made all of that part, i didn't have time to make a custom clock as i would have pictured it in poe's story (in time for the contest) & it totally didn't cross my mind when adding the objectives and such recently that i could have now done that (all i did was darken the regular thief clock :p). i certainly picture the clock much larger and more elaborate too :)