PDA

View Full Version : Music in Thief 3 - Is silence golden?

chimpwithalimp
22nd Feb 2004, 01:52
Has there been any news on music in the game? I hope there isn't any, apart from some ambient music if a level is set in a banquet in a mansion for example. Sound is such an important area of the game, I'd hate to see it ruined just to attract a wider audience.

tealsmith
22nd Feb 2004, 04:10
From what I've seen and heard, no music is in the game.

Acronomic
22nd Feb 2004, 07:51
That's good, I guess.

Although I hope for more balanced sound in this game than in the previous games. No more turning the volume up full to be able to hear footsteps, and suddenly jumping in the chair when Garrett starts to think out loud :eek: ;)

FrozenNorth
22nd Feb 2004, 21:35
Originally posted by Acronomic
That's good, I guess.

Although I hope for more balanced sound in this game than in the previous games. No more turning the volume up full to be able to hear footsteps and jumping in the chair when Garrett starts to think. :eek: ;)

Heh, I thought it was cool to notice yourself being scared during a game. Especially with zombies and Hammerite ghosts (Haunted Cathedral for example) :D
But I do hope that there will be no music. I would prefer the same kind of "ambientmusic" as in the previous games. There was music only in some points but it was only momentary and extremely well done. Just keep the soundworld as it is and when seeing that famous hard-to-get ingame clip (thief3_16.mpeg) I noticed that all the sounds (lockpick, door opening, bow shots) were almost exactly the same as in the previous games...a good thing to notice because that is an important part of the atmosphere to me :)
So if the game sucks, atleast the sounds are good which may bring some shine and comfort into the game :D

coldplay_josh_106
22nd Feb 2004, 22:21
I really hope there is music in the game, not very detailed music though, just ambient music like everyone else has surgested. I recall the second mission on thief 2 had some ambient music and that was really creepy, really set the scene.

It would be good if the music changed, when the places change. For example when your walking around on the street there could be just a howling wind sound effect, but when you enter the inn where garretts appartment is, the music could change to somthing a little more warm and jolly (but not to cheesy! ;))

chimpwithalimp
22nd Feb 2004, 22:32
when seeing that famous hard-to-get ingame clip (thief3_16.mpeg) I noticed that all the sounds (lockpick, door opening, bow shots) were almost exactly the same as in the previous games

Yeah, I noticed that too - the big one for me was the 'objective complete' noise, but it's a hard one to describe. It's perfectly the same in T3 though, judging by that preview.

coldplay_josh_106
22nd Feb 2004, 23:05
What is this preview you speak of? :rolleyes: :D

chimpwithalimp
24th Feb 2004, 08:52
Theres a 40 meg in-game footage clip of Thief 3 from a German TV show available

" that famous hard-to-get ingame clip (thief3_16.mpeg)"

Have a search on kazaa or shareaza for thief3_16.mpeg
and you'll spot it. It goes without saying that any thief 3 no cd keys or cracks or obvious trojans and viruses so don't touch em by mistake...